user share problem

I had the similar issue.  Hoping this might help someone else.

Steps that caused the problem:

1.  Create a new user in unraid

2.  All shares are configured with public access (meaning no username / password is required)

3.  Attempt to access the share via windows explorer.

4.  I mistakenly entered the username and password that I had created earlier.

5.  I clicked the option to remember credentials.

This caused windows to store the unnecessary username and password.

For some reason, unraid will prompt for credentials if you try to access a public share using a username and password.

Steps to resolve (Windows 10):

1.  Go to Control Panel

2.  Click on user accounts

3.  Click manage your credentials

4.  Click windows credentials

5.  Remove any instance of the credentials

6.  Close all windows attempting to access the unraid server

7.  Type in the location of your server.  Mine was \\tower.

8.  Click enter.

Hopefully the issue is resolved and you can get to your data.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I having a similar issue:

From my Windows 10 PC (I have also tried accees from a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine as well) I enter the username and password to the share that I have specified restricted access to in unRAID.  The password dialogue box keeps coming back up but there is no error.  I have tried machinename/username and machinename\username.  I have also tried with IP address.

I tried the net user * /delete option that was listed in this thread as well with no luck.

I have run file system check/repair and restarted array/server.

I retried resetting the user pws and creating new accounts.  I have also tried multiple shares.

Basically it just continuously prompts me over and over for username and password.

Am I missing something here?  "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!".

Any suggestions would be awesome!

PS - Not a huge deal not having share security on a media server but I would like to be able to lock down a backup share.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 29/10/2016 at 8:35 PM, durdyness said:

I having a similar issue:

From my Windows 10 PC (I have also tried accees from a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine as well) I enter the username and password to the share that I have specified restricted access to in unRAID.  The password dialogue box keeps coming back up but there is no error.  I have tried machinename/username and machinename\username.  I have also tried with IP address.

I tried the net user * /delete option that was listed in this thread as well with no luck.

I have run file system check/repair and restarted array/server.

I retried resetting the user pws and creating new accounts.  I have also tried multiple shares.

Basically it just continuously prompts me over and over for username and password.

Am I missing something here?  "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!".

Any suggestions would be awesome!

PS - Not a huge deal not having share security on a media server but I would like to be able to lock down a backup share.

On 16/11/2016 at 10:16 PM, HAVOC said:

Same problem with no luck

Did any of you guys figure it out? I feel lige I've tried everything, but I just can't access private shares with any users.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:32 PM, trurl said:

You have replied to a thread that is nearly 1 year old and is for unRAID 5 and older. What version of unRAID are you using?

Yeah I know the thread is old. I'm using the latest 6.3.5, but as it looked like a Windows related problem I figured it didn't make much of a difference.

After hours of getting the private folders to work, it suddenly just happened. In the beginning, cmd and "net use" didn't show me anything but all of a sudden it did and things started working after a "net use * /del".

Now I just hate that I don't know what made the difference but at least it works.

2 hours ago, larsfeldbech said:

Yeah I know the thread is old. I'm using the latest 6.3.5, but as it looked like a Windows related problem I figured it didn't make much of a difference.

After hours of getting the private folders to work, it suddenly just happened. In the beginning, cmd and "net use" didn't show me anything but all of a sudden it did and things started working after a "net use * /del".

Now I just hate that I don't know what made the difference but at least it works.

Probably something to do with the user you are letting windows connect with. See here:

• 4 months later...

Hi, I've read through the thread and realize what the limitation in Windows is... that being said, when one has one of their public shares from unRAID set up as a network drive that connects at boot up of their Windows machine, can one use the solution here where you flush credentials via windows cmd prompt to get access to your private share with seperate creds while keeping the connection to the network drive that was established at boot up? Or is your credential flush going to kick the public share network drive off.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Recent convert from a Server 2016 Essentials server to Unraid.. this wasn't an issue with the shares on that box, but for some reason is with samba? I could authenticate to a share using domain\user even though I sign into my PC as a Microsoft account and I wasn't joined to the domain.

Interestingly, if I change the permissions on the share from read/write to read-only, then back to read/write, I can authenticate and get access once, then back to the error.

EDIT: Just realized that this thread was super old.. Issue still exists on current version though,

Edited by tojoski
old thread
  • 2 years later...
On 2/19/2016 at 9:11 PM, clshelto2000 said:

1.  Go to Control Panel

2.  Click on user accounts

3.  Click manage your credentials

4.  Click windows credentials

5.  Remove any instance of the credentials

6.  Close all windows attempting to access the unraid server

7.  Type in the location of your server.  Mine was \\tower.

8.  Click enter.

This fixed it for me.