Community Moderators

People don't regularly update their topics when answered. Can we please get some more people that go through and update topics with the 'Solved' icon if they have been accepted. I know that the SO model is to have user accepted answers but I don't think thats perfect for here. I believe it would be helpful to have a handful of people that can go through and at least update the Message Icon. Obviously the OP would be able to change it back if their question got improperly marked as Solved when it wasn't.

Admittedly I am not that active on the forums but I would be willing to do my part if requested.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I can say for the other moderators that we have been very reluctant to edit another user's posts, but this does seem a reasonable request.  What do the other moderators think?

I believe we would want to be very sure that the original poster believes that the issue is solved, so he doesn't feel 'pushed' to close it.  I propose, if acceptable to the others, to append a comment like the following to a [solved] topic's first post:

Moderator edit: mark [solved]

I've not done it myself simply because I never speak for the OP. I have in the past asked the OP if his problem has been solved to update his topic, however the big problem with that is it bumps topics that shouldn't and others get lower visibility that need to be seen.

It does bring up the issue of the post actually being solved. Many (most) posters never bother to respond that their issue was solved. They try some of the advice and get it working and then never come back until they have another issue.

Also, honestly the moderators are doing enough without having to verify every thread that has been solved is marked as such.

Also, honestly the moderators are doing enough without having to verify every thread that has been solved is marked as such.

I doubt that we moderators, being (mostly) human, are going to suddenly become that diligent!  ;)

I think we can leave old topics alone.  If it has been months since the last post, there's no need to disturb the dust.  It's obviously not pressing for more attention.

However, and I just checked this topic to verify, modifying a post does NOT bump the thread.  You will see that a poster requested it to be marked [solved], and that post did bump it, listing it in the board on March 22, then a moderator marked the first post as [solved] on March 25, but that did not move the listing from March 22, or put it in the Unread topics list.  I do think it is a bit more ethical(?) to indicate why you edited someone else's post, although in this case, the user had already stated it was closed, which could be considered a request to mark it so.