An Improved unRAID web-interface, extensible, and easy to install

I'm trying to download the required packages for myMain to run on unRAID 4.4beta2.

But when clicking on download in the package manager I just get a blank html page with a few letters:

Example:

e
</BODY></HTML>

Any ideas why?

Basically, the plug-in returned no data to the server because of some error. The only way to know what error occured is for you to invoke the unmenu.awk server in a way where you can see any errors.

First, what version of unmenu.awk are you running?

If you started it with a "nohup while loop" then you need to kill the loop process, and then kill the awk program as well.

Frequently you can do this by typing

killall -g awk

Then, start the unmenu server by changing directory to where all its files reside, then type

awk -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk

Next, go to the screen that returned the error in your browser.  When the error occurs you will also see an error in the telnet window.  Report back what it says and we'll go from there.

Oh yes, the "e" is the "hexadecimal equivalent of decimal 14" and represents the number of characters in the next line.  You are seeing a "chunk" of html normally seen only by your browser.

Joe L.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the fast reply!!

gawk: ./990-unmenu-wget.awk:41: warning: escape sequence `\.' treated as plain `

.'

gawk: ./990-unmenu-wget.awk:538: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/0/s

lackware.cs.utah.edu/80' for input/output (No such file or directory)

...when trying to download cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tgz with the package manager

I'm running latest unmenu and unRAID 4.4beta2.

EDITED:

Sorry!

Upgrading to 4.4beta2 wiped my DNS adresses. Everything works now!

The first message is a "warning" it is normal  and nothing to worry about.

The second "fatal" error was what caused the plug-in to abort and not send any content to the  unmenu.awk server to return to your browser.  It had no way to connect to the remote site to get the file you were downloading.

Glad everything is working now that you re-defined the domain name server.

Joe L.

If I may suggest sometinhg, it would be great to see unRAID version number in the header of unmenu...  :-X

It is shown in the "About" link... with the version numbers of all the plug-ins. 

Do you still think it is needed in the header?

Joe L.

Just noticed a small problem with my unMenu configuration.

I upgraded to unMenu 1.1 and now notice that all of the packages in package manager show as not installed upon each reboot.

In the root of the flash I have unMenu in a folder "unmenu", and packages in folder "packages", which also contains the package config files.

Did I put things in the wrong place? 

Thanks for any help.

I upgraded to unMenu 1.1 and now notice that all of the packages in package manager show as not installed upon each reboot.

In the root of the flash I have unMenu in a folder "unmenu", and packages in folder "packages", which also contains the package config files.

Thanks for any help.

First, verify you are running the new version.  What does it say in the "About" page? 

if it shows version 1.1 for unmenu.awk, you are indeed running the new version.  If not, you are still running the old version. You'll need to kill it and then start the new using "uu"

Second, the old package .conf files had leading numbers.  The new do not.  You might have both types of package.conf files still in your /boot/packages folder.  You can delete the older ones with the leading numbers.

To get a message that a package is not installed, it would have to not find the file it expects.  Packages are almost all installed in the RAM file-system.  They go away when you reboot.  To have them re-install themselves you need to press the button to install them and then also press the button the enable auto-install on re-boot.  Did you do that?

In the /boot/packages folder, do you see a series of *.auto_install files?

the package manager adds a line to your "go" script to execute the .auto_instrall files.  (or adds a file to the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d foldr if it exists instead)  If the auto_install files exist, but were not run on reboot, then perhaps the line in the "go" script was removed?

Joe L.

Thanks for any help.

First, verify you are running the new version.   What does it say in the "About" page? 

if it shows version 1.1 for unmenu.awk, you are indeed running the new version.  If not, you are still running the old version. You'll need to kill it and then start the new using "uu"

Second, the old package .conf files had leading numbers.  The new do not.   You might have both types of package.conf files still in your /boot/packages folder.  You can delete the older ones with the leading numbers.

To get a message that a package is not installed, it would have to not find the file it expects.   Packages are almost all installed in the RAM file-system.  They go away when you reboot.  To have them re-install themselves you need to press the button to install them and then also press the button the enable auto-install on re-boot.   Did you do that?

the package manager adds a line to your "go" script to execute the .auto_instrall files.  (or adds a file to the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d foldr if it exists instead)  If the auto_install files exist, but were not run on reboot, then perhaps the line in the "go" script was removed?

Joe L.

1. Yes, running unMenu 1.1 -  per about page

2. No leading numbers in config files

3. Yes, "Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot."

4. Yes, *auto_install files present for most packages

No line in "go" script to execute the auto install files.  <- This must be my problem. 

No /boot/custom/  folder at all.

So I reinstalled the packages from package manager.  Then, looked at the "go" script using Config / View Edit.  Still no line to invoke the auto install files.

BTW, I'm running unRAID 4.4

Thanks Joe

Thanks for any help.

First, verify you are running the new version.   What does it say in the "About" page? 

Second, the old package .conf files had leading numbers.  The new do not.   You might have both types of package.conf files still in your /boot/packages folder.  You can delete the older ones with the leading numbers.

To get a message that a package is not installed, it would have to not find the file it expects.   Packages are almost all installed in the RAM file-system.  They go away when you reboot.  To have them re-install themselves you need to press the button to install them and then also press the button the enable auto-install on re-boot.   Did you do that?

Joe L.

1. Yes, running unMenu 1.1 -  per about page

2. No leading numbers in config files

3. Yes, "Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot."

4. Yes, *auto_install files present for most packages

No line in "go" script to execute the auto install files.  <- This must be my problem. 

No /boot/custom/  folder at all.

So I reinstalled the packages from package manager.  Then, looked at the "go" script using Config / View Edit.  Still no line to invoke the auto install files.

BTW, I'm running unRAID 4.4

Thanks Joe

Just to make 100% certain, are you sure you don't see the following line:

cd %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

in your /boot/config/go file, where %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% is your package directory as defined in unmenu_local.conf

this is the line you should be looking for...

Each time you set a package for auto install on reboot via the package manager, the package manager will look for and then add the line to your go file if it is not present.  Are you sure you set the packages to install on reboot and not just installed when you re-tested the go file append?

Just throwing some ideas out there about what could be going on based on the code in the package manager.

Cheers,

Matt

Bill,

Do you mind running the following commands and reporting back what they find...  You will probably want to stop the array before you run them so they don't look through your /mnt/user and /mnt/disk* folders (which could make the find process take a MUCH longer time)

find /* -name "go" 
find /* -name "s10*"

I'm trying to see if maybe the package manager is looking for(and appending) the go file in the wrong place.  It's likely a long shot but I can't think of what else it might be at this point...

Cheers,

Matt

Final got around to getting unMenu up and working.  I really really really like it.  There is some great stuff going on with this "little" app.  As far as I am concerned Tom and you (Joe) need to talk about getting unMenu put in as the default web interface.

I applaud you for the work you have done with this.  It is truly great!!

I do have one question:

I like to get to my web interface from outside my network, using a dns name.  Therefor i have opened a random port on the outside, call it 65432 for now, and pointed it toward the unraid server IP and port 8080.  Now this works fine for the first go at loading the main page, but every time i try to get to another page, like the About page or the Help page it does not work.  I did set the port unMenu defaults to to the same as the random external one and that fixes the problem but i would have perfered to keep the default internal one.  Is there any way this can be changed??

Also, I am trying to make a plugin to either open the BubbaRaid management page in the unMenu page or just have it open in a new tab.  Lets say for instance that the BubbaRaid management page is on the external port 98765 and i connect to it now by typing http://mydynamicip.com:98765/ . What is the best way to go about achieving my goal?

The above also happens for the main unRaid management page. I can't seem to get to reliably when unMenu and Bubbaraid are both installed.  If i click on it in unMenu firefox gives me an error about not being able to connect.  If i hit the back button in my browser though it will show up, albeit not perfectly.  If i try to refresh using the button in the web interface the main unRaid web interface goes by by again.

Thanks for any help you can provide and thanks for the great new web interface!!

Bill,

Do you mind running the following commands and reporting back what they find...  You will probably want to stop the array before you run them so they don't look through your /mnt/user and /mnt/disk* folders (which could make the find process take a MUCH longer time)

find /* -name "go" 
find /* -name "s10*"

I'm trying to see if maybe the package manager is looking for(and appending) the go file in the wrong place.  It's likely a long shot but I can't think of what else it might be at this point...

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt - I will need to try this tomorrow morning as an all-night backup job to the array is in progress.  I'll stop the array in the morning and report back.

Thanks for the help and diagnostic suggestions.

Also, I am trying to make a plugin to either open the BubbaRaid management page in the unMenu page or just have it open in a new tab.  Lets say for instance that the BubbaRaid management page is on the external port 98765 and i connect to it now by typing http://mydynamicip.com:98765/ . What is the best way to go about achieving my goal?

Thanks for any help you can provide and thanks for the great new web interface!!

The easiest way i found was to use iframe tags with src=http://mydynamicip.com:98765/ as output in your plug-in.  I did something like it here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2951.msg24787#msg24787

the part you would be interested in is the 600-unmenu-file_edit.awk file I posted as code.

You would need to change

#define ADD_ON_URL    config_view_edit
#define ADD_ON_MENU   Config View/Edit
#define ADD_ON_STATUS YES
#define ADD_ON_TYPE   awk
#define ADD_ON_VERSION   .1 Original version.  Joe L.
#define ADD_ON_VERSION   .2 Updated with ideas borrowed from go-script-manager plug-in to keep backup versions of files.

to more fitting settings like..

]#define ADD_ON_URL    bubba_main
#define ADD_ON_MENU   BubbaRAID Main Page
#define ADD_ON_STATUS NO 
#define ADD_ON_TYPE   awk
#define ADD_ON_VERSION   .1 Original version

and then changing:

theHTML = "<br><iframe width=\"100%\" height=\"100%\" frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 src=\"http://"MY_HOST":"MY_PORT"/file_edit\"></iframe>"

to:

theHTML = "<br><iframe width=\"100%\" height=\"100%\" frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 src=\"http://mydynamicip.com:98765\"></iframe>"

Cheers,

Matt

Bill,

find /* -name "go" 
find /* -name "s10*"

Cheers,

Matt

Please check for the following,

type:

ls  /boot/custom/etc/rc.d

I'm guessing the folder exists as a result of some prior script you installed (un-related to unmenu), and the the package manager put its start-up command there ( S10-install_custom_packages).

There had to be a line in the "go" script to invoke the commands in the rc.d directory at one time (one of which is the S10-install_custom_packages script added by the package manager if the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder exists)  Odds are good you re-loaded the "go" script or edited it and deleted that line, but left the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d directory in place but with no line to invoke the files in the rc.d folder.

If the rc.d folder exists, odds are it contains a file with the name of rc.local_startup.  That is the main script that runs the others in that directory.

If the directory exists, and the S10-install_custom_packages script exists, and rc.local_startup exists, then add the following lines at the end of the /boot/config/go file to get everything back working once more:

sleep 30

fromdos < /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/rc.local_startup | sh

If there are startup commands in the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder you no longer want or need, move them elsewhere.  If the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder exists, but the rc.local_startup file does not, let me know whet you do see as a result of the "ls" command I described at the start of this post and we'll go from there.

One last tine point, to find the S10-install_custom_packages script you would need to issue the "find" command with the correct case for what it is looking for...

So

find / -name "S10*" -print

is correct

find / -name "s10*" -print

is not, as the "S" is capitalized in the actual file name and "find" is case sensitive.

Joe L.

CODE AND STUFF...

Cheers,

Matt

OK, well that seems to work just fine for the BubbaRaid page.  I can now get to it from within unMenu.  The only problem i am having now is that i cannot get to the unRaid main page through unMenu.  I tried editing the 999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk file to replace the same line you just had me replace to make the BubbaRaid one work.  This does not seem to work for the main unRaid page.

CODE AND STUFF...

Cheers,

Matt

OK, well that seems to work just fine for the BubbaRaid page.  I can now get to it from within unMenu.  The only problem i am having now is that i cannot get to the unRaid main page through unMenu.  I tried editing the 999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk file to replace the same line you just had me replace to make the BubbaRaid one work.  This does not seem to work for the main unRaid page.

Maybe if you posted the file you are talking about, I will be able to look at it and give you some ideas as to why it is not working.

There should be no reason why the original plugin (999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk) should not work as written.  I would assume your problem has something to do with unRAID main page being unaccessible or that there is a problem with the url you are using. If you are 100% sure you should be changing that plug-in then the hardcoded iframe would look like the following:

theHTML = "<br><iframe width=100% height=\"1200\" src=\"http://mydynamicip.com/main.htm\">"

(NOTE you do NOT use the port to call the unRAID stock page.)

This change is minor and only hardcodes your host to the iframe src, where before it was found by looking at your unmenu_local.conf for the proper value.

Also make sure that you have the </iframe> tag in the code, if not present, it will not display the contents of the <iframe> tag in the borwser.

Cheers,

Matt

CODE AND STUFF...

Cheers,

Matt

Maybe if you posted the file you are talking about, I will be able to look at it and give you some ideas as to why it is not working.

There should be no reason why the original plugin (999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk) should not work as written.  I would assume your problem has something to do with unRAID main page being unaccessible or that there is a problem with the url you are using. If you are 100% sure you should be changing that plug-in then the hardcoded iframe would look like the following:

theHTML = "<br><iframe width=100% height=\"1200\" src=\"http://mydynamicip.com/main.htm\">"

This change is minor and only hardcodes your host to the iframe src, where before it was found by looking at your unmenu_local.conf for the proper value.

Also make sure that you have the </iframe> tag in the code, if not present, it will not display the contents of the <iframe> tag in the borwser.

Cheers,

Matt

OK, i will try it when i get home.  I am using the port in my statement.  Mostly because again, i had it mapped to a high number outside and pointing to the correct port on the inside.

Bill,

find /* -name "go" 
find /* -name "s10*"

Cheers,

Matt

type:

I'm guessing the folder exists as a result of some prior script you installed (un-related to unmenu), and the the package manager put its start-up command there ( S10-install_custom_packages).

There had to be a line in the "go" script to invoke the commands in the rc.d directory at one time (one of which is the S10-install_custom_packages script added by the package manager if the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder exists)  Odds are good you re-loaded the "go" script or edited it and deleted that line, but left the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d directory in place but with no line to invoke the files in the rc.d folder.

If the rc.d folder exists, odds are it contains a file with the name of rc.local_startup.  That is the main script that runs the others in that directory.

If the directory exists, and the S10-install_custom_packages script exists, and rc.local_startup exists, then add the following lines at the end of the /boot/config/go file to get everything back working once more:

sleep 30

If there are startup commands in the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder you no longer want or need, move them elsewhere.  If the /boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder exists, but the rc.local_startup file does not, let me know whet you do see as a result of the "ls" command I described at the start of this post and we'll go from there.

One last tine point, to find the S10-install_custom_packages script you would need to issue the "find" command with the correct case for what it is looking for...

So

is correct

is not, as the "S" is capitalized in the actual file name and "find" is case sensitive.

Joe L.

Here is the output from the "ls" and "find" commands.  It appears that no /boot/custom/ folder exists and likewise with S10 install script.

I am using a new unRAID Pro key that was supplied with my server.  Other than the unMenu 1.1 files, preclear, and monthly parity check, I haven't done much with it in terms of file installation.

Bill,

find /* -name "go" 
find /* -name "s10*"

Cheers,

Matt

type:

sleep 30

So

is correct

Joe L.

Here is the output from the "ls" and "find" commands.  It appears that no /boot/custom/ folder exists and likewise with S10 install script.

I am using a new unRAID Pro key that was supplied with my server.  Other than the unMenu 1.1 files, preclear, and monthly parity check, I haven't done much with it in terms of file installation.

hmmm,

I highly doubt this will uncover anything but try this:

find / -name "go" -print

you should get three files... at least I do with my stock unraid setup:

/boot/config/go
/var/tmp/go
/var/log/go

Matt

Interesting, it appears as if the changes Tom has made recently in the permissions on the flash drive have affected the ability to add a line to the /boot/config/go script.

From what you have shown, all you should have to do is add one line to the end of the "go" script

Assuming your packages are all in /boot/packages the line to add to the end of the /boot/config/go file would be:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

You can use the "Config View/Edit" plug-in ( available here) to edit the /boot/config/go file to add the line, or use any editor you like to add it from windows.

Joe L.

CODE AND STUFF...

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

OK, i will try it when i get home.  I am using the port in my statement.  Mostly because again, i had it mapped to a high number outside and pointing to the correct port on the inside.

It sounds as if you are trying to control your server from outside your LAN... This is something I have never tried nor do I have the desire to test.  I simply do not like the idea of some random people stumbling on the url and getting full control of your unRAID server.

Having said that, here are some ideas to help with your problem:

Maybe something is wrong with your port forwarding settings?!?  

From my understanding, the stock unraid will always be found on the unraid server's 80 port.  Which is why you don't need to specify the port in your browser when viewing internally on your network.  

potential problems include:

-If you are NOT forwarding another "outside" port to "internal" port 80 in your router, your isp could be blocking 80 to try and stop you from hosting a website at home.

-Is "outside" 80 already being forwarded to another computer on your network?

-Is "internal" 80 being forwarded to another computer on your network?

-Are you sure you used the correct port number in all steps of configuring your port forwarding(unraid settings, router settings, tested the right port in url)?

-Are you sure you didn't miss any steps in configuring your port forwarding solution?

Things to think about if "re-writing" the plug-in does not solve your problem.

Cheers,

Matt

Interesting, it appears as if the changes Tom has made recently in the permissions on the flash drive have affected the ability to add a line to the /boot/config/go script.

From what you have shown, all you should have to do is add one line to the end of the "go" script

Assuming your packages are all in /boot/packages the line to add to the end of the /boot/config/go file would be:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

You can use the "Config View/Edit" plug-in ( available here) to edit the /boot/config/go file to add the line, or use any editor you like to add it from windows.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe - that did the trick.  I added with line via "Config View / Edit" and rebooted.  The packages are started as expected.

Seems like add-on developers have an added challenge of trying to track changes to the basic unRAID code.  Kind of like a moving target. 

I sure appreciate everyone's help - Thanks.

It sounds as if you are trying to control your server from outside your LAN... This is something I have never tried nor do I have the desire to test.  I simply do not like the idea of some random people stumbling on the url and getting full control of your unRAID server.

Having said that, here are some ideas to help with your problem:

Maybe something is wrong with your port forwarding settings?!?  

From my understanding, the stock unraid will always be found on the unraid server's 80 port.  Which is why you don't need to specify the port in your browser when viewing internally on your network.  

potential problems include:

-If you are NOT forwarding another "outside" port to "internal" port 80 in your router, your isp could be blocking 80 to try and stop you from hosting a website at home.

-Is "outside" 80 already being forwarded to another computer on your network?

-Is "internal" 80 being forwarded to another computer on your network?

-Are you sure you used the correct port number in all steps of configuring your port forwarding(unraid settings, router settings, tested the right port in url)?

-Are you sure you didn't miss any steps in configuring your port forwarding solution?

Things to think about if "re-writing" the plug-in does not solve your problem.

Cheers,

Matt

I am indeed trying to control the interface from outside my local LAN.  I think one of the other problems might be stemming from the fact that i am running BubbaRaid also.  BubbaRaid moves the defualt web interface from port 80 to port 88.  I will see about getting that switched around so that BubbaRaid is on 88 and the default back to 80.

I will mess with it a little when i get home tonight and see what I can do.  I really would like to get unMenu working so that i can control everything from it.

• Squid locked this topic