• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I hadn't seen this issue on the support thread yet

I'm encountering a weird connection issue with UnMenu

If I have my server connected to a wireless bridge, I can only see the top half of the main page, all other pages fail, though the original UnRAID pages work

But if I plug the server into a router or switch, UnMenu works just no internet access.

What would the difference be, between connected by a Wireless Bridge, or a switch

Hi all

I hadn't seen this issue on the support thread yet

I'm encountering a weird connection issue with UnMenu

If I have my server connected to a wireless bridge, I can only see the top half of the main page, all other pages fail, though the original UnRAID pages work

But if I plug the server into a router or switch, UnMenu works just no internet access.

What would the difference be, between connected by a Wireless Bridge, or a switch

by the bottom part I assume you mean the part that shows the syslog.  If that is the case then the wireless bridge is doing something to the hostname resolution that is causing it to fail most likely.

A picture might help in this case.

So an update, I tripled check the naming of the Unraid server and the router, there was no issue, I can ping any site on the internet using the command line on the server, but then when I try to sue UnMenu, same thing none of the pages work, except half of the main page.

I also tried opening all ports on the firewall, and turning off the firewall on the system using the web interface

Anyone has any other ideas I should try?

So an update, I tripled check the naming of the Unraid server and the router, there was no issue, I can ping any site on the internet using the command line on the server, but then when I try to sue UnMenu, same thing none of the pages work, except half of the main page.

I also tried opening all ports on the firewall, and turning off the firewall on the system using the web interface

Anyone has any other ideas I should try?

see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17752.0

Using a PC to access the server which has always had a static IP (mostly cause \\Tower always takes me to tower records)

:-(

the solution is the same.

you can fix the tower-records thing if your router and ISP are set up properly.  Or, if you have a fixed address for your unRAID server, you can add a single line to your

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

file.  That one line should be something like

tower 192.168.1.100

(substituting your IP address for you server instead of 192.168.1.100)

Then, your PC will know how to get to "tower"

Joe L.

• 2 years later...

Having a little problem with unmenu.

144klu.png

In the bottom section where syslog should be I just get an OpenDNS link. I imagine this is because something isn't set right, not a clue what or where?

Edit: None of the other windows besides Main are working. I can see what the problem is. Unmenu is using the server name instead of the ip. Example- http://Brunnhilde:8080/config_view_edit results in DNS lookup page, http://10.0.1.20:8080/config_view_edit results in the proper webpage. How can I change unmenu to use the ip of my server rather than the server name?

How can I change unmenu to use the ip of my server rather than the server name?

See here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27051.msg303624;topicseen#msg303624

The contributing factor is you have openDNS configured to "try" to help.  It should not be involved unless the server name cannot be resolved on YOUR lan. 

Are you on a mixed PC/MAC network, or just PCs? or just MAC?

Typically, unRAID should have the IP address of your router as its DNS server.  That way local names are resolved there.  It should be configured to listen for netBIOS names, the protocol windows uses.

Joe L.

See here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27051.msg303624;topicseen#msg303624

The contributing factor is you have openDNS configured to "try" to help.  It should not be involved unless the server name cannot be resolved on YOUR lan. 

Typically, unRAID should have the IP address of your router as its DNS server.  That way local names are resolved there.  It should be configured to listen for netBIOS names, the protocol windows uses.

Joe L.

It's an all mac network. I can see that unmenu is trying to use DNS names rather than ip in the web addresses and its not working. unRaid had the ip of the router (airport extreme) for DNS. I have tried reconfiguring the router from OpenDNS to another free DNS Server. I have also tried reconfiguring unRaid to the same DNS. Didn't work.

What if I change unmenu.conf

# Unmenu will discover for itself your host name, but if you wish to set it yourself, or
# your host name is not set, then set the value of MyHost here.
MyHost = 10.0.1.20

I'm guessing I need to restart unmenu for the changes to take effect though. Not sure how?

Another possibility might be to edit the HOSTS file on each of your PCs/MACs.

Not positive how OpenDNS reacts to this...but HOSTS should be read first.

Are you saying I should change the unRaid Server name (Brunnhilde) to the static ip?

Both PCs and MACs have a file called 'hosts' that maps names to IP addresses.

Its 'hidden' in that users aren't encouraged to play with it.

On my Mac I have THIS installed which adds a Preference Pane allowing easy editing:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40003/hosts

and here's a snapshot of what my Hosts file looks like (using the Pref Pane interface):

The Hosts file is read FIRST before DNS lookups over the network...

screenshot_119.png.e9efda81fe5d1b90b96ed13ee7f2609e.png

Are you saying I should change the unRaid Server name (Brunnhilde) to the static ip?

On my Mac I have THIS installed which adds a Preference Pane allowing easy editing:

and here's a snapshot of what my Hosts file looks like (using the Pref Pane interface):

Thanks. I'll have a better look at this when I get off work. Just the quick look I took makes me wonder if the problem isn't really with the MacPro that I'm using to connect to my unmenu from. I need to check, but I'm wondering- if the MacPro DNS is set to OpenDNS rather than my network router perhaps that's what's causing the unresolved names? Afraid I just don't know enough about how DNS works.

Thanks Dale. Installed the prefpane and looks like everything is working great now.

See here:

Joe L.

It's an all mac network. I can see that unmenu is trying to use DNS names rather than ip in the web addresses and its not working. unRaid had the ip of the router (airport extreme) for DNS. I have tried reconfiguring the router from OpenDNS to another free DNS Server. I have also tried reconfiguring unRaid to the same DNS. Didn't work.

You will either have to set up the hosts file on each of your MACs, or just set the variable in unmenu.conf as described in the link I pointed you to.
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to upgrade my unmenu....  What is the latest version?

There is a 1.3.7.1 on the google page.. but I have a 1.3.7.2

in my directory that I might have never installed?

#  This script is used to setup or update unmenu.
#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 186 $ $Date: 2010-12-04 14:58:29 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010) $

version=1.3.7.2

What happened to 1.3.7.2?  and is that the latest version from Dec 2010?

Jim

• Squid locked this topic