An Improved unRAID web-interface, extensible, and easy to install

Ok thanks, I got it working. Basically I had to go through the devices and make a copy of the model/serial number of the cache drive. Then in GetOtherDisks where it deals with the devices not in protected array I just make sure I only add the drives that don't match the model/serial of the cache drive.

Joe, if you want the changes let me know where to send them.

Sure...

Upload a copy to http://www.mediafire.com/

You do not need to create an account to upload a file to mediafire.com, just send me the download link in a Private Message (PM)

I'll incorporate the logic into my next version.

Joe L.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After my latest parity check, the Array Status line is reporting

STARTED, 4 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:.  Last parity check 1 day ago .  &nbspParity updated  2 times to address sync errors.

It would appear that the generated code is missing a semicolon between the third   and "Parity updated".

Hardly a show-stopper, but I thought you'd like to know.

After my latest parity check, the Array Status line is reporting

STARTED, 4 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:.   Last parity check 1 day ago .  &nbspParity updated  2 times to address sync errors.

It would appear that the generated code is missing a semicolon between the third   and "Parity updated".

Hardly a show-stopper, but I thought you'd like to know.

Thanks... I must have also spotted it at some point, because it appears correct in my current version, but I also see it is missing in the distributed version.

Glad you understand, the specific message you saw is only printed if there are between 1 and 19 parity errors detected.  Since I've only ever had 1 parity error ever occur during normal operations of my server (caused by a power hit before I added a UPS).

I never saw the missing semicolon until recently, when I purposely induced a parity error testing a new feature. ( I was testing the new parity verify feature where it does not correct errors.  Tom does not even have a button for it in his interface.)

I probably need to package a current set of files at some point.   

Joe L.

• 2 months later...

Here is the page source:

e
</BODY></HTML>

Any ideas?

On the unRAID management web-page, on the "Settings" page, you need to have both a "Gateway" and at least one "DNS Server" defined.  In most cases, they are the IP address of your router.

I had this error appearing whenever I tried to install plug-ins with the package manager. This was good advice, it did turn out that I did not have a DNS server configured on the "Settings" page.

The newest version 1.2 of unMENU is now available at google.code at the following link:

http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/downloads/list

Many small changes, many updates, some old bugs fixed, (probably some new ones introduced).

First, and most important is the new "Array Admin" page now has a button for Parity-Verify but Do not Correct. 

The new button will only show itself if you are on the newer versions of unRAID that support it.  (Array admin is now a plug-in... prior to this, it was built into unmenu.awk)

The "Disk-Admin" page will now allow you to create a reiserfs on a disk that is partitioned, but not yet assigned to the array.  This is NOT the same as pre-clearing a drive, in fact, it un-does the pre-clear signature...  It will allow you to subsequently mount and share an un-protected drive.  (Disk admin is now a plug-in... prior to this, it was built into unmenu.awk)

The "Disk-Admin" page will print instructions on how to rebuild a reiserfs if the command cannot be done in a non-interactive mode.   You can still run a reiserfs check.  If the check finds an error, a fix-fixable button will then present itself.

The "Disk-Admin" page now uses the correct samba config files when creating a new share for a drive not in the protected array. (Lime-technology changes the names of the samba files in the last few versions.)

The Config View/Edit plug-in is now part of the package of plug-in files.  This allows you to edit system and .conf files and maintain backup copies.

There are new user-script buttons for Re-starting unMENU and for viewing and changing the disk scheduler queuing mode.  (something to experiment with in addition to setting read-ahead buffer sizes)

A new set of package manager files is available with updated links to slackware repositories.    Several new package.conf files are available.  "openssh" is one, openssl is another, although the latest beta of unRAID seems to have it already installed... probably needed for the LAN manager stuff.  When you install the openSSH the first time, it will generate and save the "key" files in a /boot/custom/etc/ssh folder for you.

I'll update the first post in this thread once I get a few confirmations the new set of files work properly.   You will need to kill the existing unmenu process and then start this new one to see the changes.

You start it as before by typing "uu" in the folder with the files, or by typing the full path to the "uu" command as in "/boot/unmenu/uu"

The the three zip file entirely replace the files you currently have.  If you have edited them, move them first before you unzip these files in your unmenu folder.  None of the old files are needed, and in fact, since "package config" files have been re-named without the leading numbers, the old will only get in the way.  Note: the old *.unmenu-package.conf files were moved to your /boot/packages directory if you ran an old version of the unmenu package manager.  The *unmenu-package.conf files will need to be removed from there, or at the least, moved elsewhere, and not exist in either the directory with all the unmenu.awk files or the /boot/packages directory..

There is a "start-up" script included.  It is named "uu"  Leave it in the same directory as all the other unmenu files.  (As written, it must reside there)

Before you start up this new version of unmenu, you must stop any older version you might be running.

Easiest way to stop (kill) the old version is to type:

killall -g awk

To start up this newest version of unmenu, either "cd" to the directory with the unmenu files and then type:

uu

or, type the full path to the directory with the files (as an example, if your folder is /boot/unmenu)

/boot/unmenu/uu

After you start the unmenu server (by typing "uu" in the instruction above) you can see the improved interface in your browser by using the following URL:

http://tower:8080

Joe L.

I get the following error:

Tower unmenu[3849]: php: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And I can no longer see the unRAID Main menu as it comes back with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

The Main page works fine.

Tower unmenu[3849]: php: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And I can no longer see the unRAID Main menu as it comes back with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

I get this error :

unmenu[4637]: ls: cannot access /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/*: No such file or directory

and I too can't see the unRAID main menu back under firefox 3.5.3 : i get a blank page

I get this error :

unmenu[4637]: ls: cannot access /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/*: No such file or directory

and I too can't see the unRAID main menu back under firefox 3.5.3 : i get a blank page

One thing at a time.  First.... here is a package file for libxml

The libxml library is needed by PHP, as you learned.

Next... I've not run into the error you are seeing with an in-ability to show the main page in IE.

Have either of you changed the name of the server from "tower" ?? 

I'll look at the error for "no such directory"  Most people will not have it unless you put it into place... so I just need to suppress the warning.

Joe L

I get this error :

What were you doing, or trying to do when you got that error?    I'm looking for where I'm doing an "ls" of /boot/custom/etc/rc.d, but don't see it so far.

Joe L.

I get this error :

Next... I've not run into the error you are seeing with an in-ability to show the main page in IE.

I'll look at the error for "no such directory"  Most people will not have it unless you put it into place... so I just need to suppress the warning.

Joe L

I have not changed the server name; it is still Tower

I get this error :

Joe L

I have not changed the server name; it is still Tower

If you can "right-hand-click" in the middle of the empty page, to see in "properties" the actual "URL" IE is trying to display, it would let me know what it is trying to do.

Are you running any other special stuff I should be aware of?  Did you completely replace all your existing files in your unmenu folder with the three sets of files in the 1.2 release?  Did you completely stop the older version of unMENU?  (might it still be running?)

Joe L.

If you can "right-hand-click" in the middle of the empty page, to see in "properties" the actual "URL" IE is trying to display, it would let me know what it is trying to do.

Are you running any other special stuff I should be aware of?   Did you completely replace all your existing files in your unmenu folder with the three sets of files in the 1.2 release?   Did you completely stop the older version of unMENU?  (might it still be running?)

Joe L.

Not that I know of. I deleted all of the old unmenu files and replaced them with the three sets of the 1.2 release. I completely stopped the old unmenu; infact I also rebooted unRAID.

This post regarding the "dns" error dll seems to point to a security setting in IE.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/thread/2eb96418-e944-4ee9-a4f3-ff28980c36a2

You might also be able to add "tower" as a trusted site in the local intranet.

Joe L.

I added http://tower and http://tower:8080/unraid_main to my trusted sites and still cannot access the unraid main.

FYI, there was no change at all in the plug-in used to display the original unRAID main page in unMENU from when I originally included it in the 1.1 version of unMENU files.   It is exacty the same page.

What has probably changed are the security updates Microsoft has made to IE-7 to allow (or rather disallow) an inline frame from a different "server/port" than the parent page.

How do you have the security settings in IE?  are you running a firewall other than Microsofts?

FYI, there was no change at all in the plug-in used to display the original unRAID main page in unMENU from when I originally included it in the 1.1 version of unMENU files.   It is exacty the same page.

What has probably changed are the security updates Microsoft has made to IE-7 to allow (or rather disallow) an inline frame from a different "server/port" than the parent page.

How do you have the security settings in IE?  are you running a firewall other than Microsofts?

I am running IE8 on both my XP & Win7 machines. I have my security settings at medium-high (where they have always been). I do not use Microsoft's firewall, I use F-Secure for Win7 (I had zero problems before going to 1.2 getting into unraid main) and Live One Care for XP.

I am running IE8 on both my XP & Win7 machines. I have my security settings at medium-high (where they have always been). I do not use Microsoft's firewall, I use F-Secure for Win7 (I had zero problems before going to 1.2 getting into unraid main) and Live One Care for XP.

I am at a loss to explain it then...

Can you put back the 1.1 files and see if it is still blocked?   (they can be in a different folder)

You will need to stop the 1.2 version and then start the 1.1 version to make the test.    As I said, there is no difference in the 999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk file used to display the file... So I'm a bit confused... it could easily still be a IE security patch added since the last time you attempted to use that plug-in in unMENU.

This post regarding the "dns" error dll seems to point to a security setting in IE.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/thread/2eb96418-e944-4ee9-a4f3-ff28980c36a2

You might also be able to add "tower" as a trusted site in the local intranet.

Joe L.

I added http://tower and http://tower:8080/unraid_main to my trusted sites and still cannot access the unraid main.

In my IE security settings, I  have it set to medium-high for "Local Intranet".  I have no sites defined in "Trusted Sites"

For "Local Intranet" I have "Automatically detect intranet network" checked.  When I click on the "Advanced" button on that dialog box  I have one entry in the websites for the zone.  It was just the single word

tower

I took that one line for "tower" out, but IE still worked for me.  (I don't remember putting it there, but I must have at one point)

I know you have to re-start IE to have the new settings take effect... Did you close all the IE windows and re-start it after you made the change to the trusted sites?

You might try adding just "tower" instead of http://tower  (Not sure if it makes any difference, but then, I don't usually use IE at all... too many security problems for me to be comfortable using it on the internet. I use Firefox for most of what I do day to day.)

Joe L

I get this error :

What were you doing, or trying to do when you got that error?    I'm looking for where I'm doing an "ls" of /boot/custom/etc/rc.d, but don't see it so far.

Joe L.

I was adding or removing packages with bad comments as not the good version.

I also had 2-3 times the same package listed. I was trying to get rid of those doubles.

Since that error, i restarted from scratch the packages managering. Remove all files from the directory, restart unraid and download all needed packages and install them.

I can't reproduce the error. So it could just be a bad package from previously.

About the blank page : i can't reproduce it too. All seems to work properly now.

I know that i had the "bwm-ng" package install before. Now, i don't. Could it be part of the problem (since i don't have it anymore and i can't reproduce the error) ?

Joe L.

I greatly appreciate your help. I tried all previous versions of unmenu with the same results. I reloaded unmenu 1.2 and shut off my Win7 computer and rebooted the unRAID server (again). I did not shutoff my XP computer (my HTPC) but I closed all programs. When the unRAID server rebooted I used my HTPC and went to the http://tower and it worked. Next I went to http://tower:8080/unraid_main and it worked. I booted up my Win7 computer and everything works on it as well. No clue as to how or why but very glad it does. This is very normal for me when dealing with software. Hardware I understand, software on the otherhand is like voodoo!

Joe L.

I greatly appreciate your help. I tried all previous versions of unmenu with the same results. I reloaded unmenu 1.2 and shut off my Win7 computer and rebooted the unRAID server (again). I did not shutoff my XP computer (my HTPC) but I closed all programs. When the unRAID server rebooted I used my HTPC and went to the http://tower and it worked. Next I went to http://tower:8080/unraid_main and it worked. I booted up my Win7 computer and everything works on it as well. No clue as to how or why but very glad it does. This is very normal for me when dealing with software. Hardware I understand, software on the otherhand is like voodoo!

I'm an old hardware guy who was forced to learn software to fix the hardware. Back when you could get to the individual bits in the computer and fixed it at the component level... before Integrated-Circuits... before CPU chips, memory chips, motherboards were years away.......

Both hardware and software act logically... usually.

(actually, hardware can be illogical, especially when non-related logic circuits end up connected together when a wire touches something it should not... or  a wire clipping shorts terminals unrelated to each other...  even nicer when vibration make a connection intermittent.)

Glad you are now working.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

Was looking over unMenu 1.2 packages comparing them to what I have to delete dups, and was wondering why you went with the ntfs 3.8 vs the ntfs 4.4?  I've been using 4.4 all along and it seems to be fine.  Perhaps whatever changes are minor?

--Bill

• Squid locked this topic