System locks up during heavy use

When I am hashing files the system seems to lag. I am watching top my CPU stays around 50% but the free RAM is basically none. Is this what is causing my system to lag and cause videos to need to buffer? I am using a cached drive but I am doing quite a bit on this box (rtorrent, sickbeard, etc) and currently I am only using 2GB RAM. I figure this to be my issue but I wanted to be sure before I start shopping.

When I am hashing files the system seems to lag. I am watching top my CPU stays around 50% but the free RAM is basically none. Is this what is causing my system to lag and cause videos to need to buffer? I am using a cached drive but I am doing quite a bit on this box (rtorrent, sickbeard, etc) and currently I am only using 2GB RAM. I figure this to be my issue but I wanted to be sure before I start shopping.

without a syslog, and the output of

free -l

we have absolutely no way to to be sure.  If you are running memory intensive apps, then you probably need more ram.  Even that might not be enough to keep your videos from buffering if the CPU is not up to the task.

free -l

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       2074436    2020456      53980          0      48992    1784796
Low:        890748     838504      52244
High:      1183688    1181952       1736
-/+ buffers/cache:     186668    1887768
Swap:            0          0          0

I pasted the log (using SimpleFeatures plugin and the Log from the main menu) to http://pastebin.com/KRRmqvvG

Seems I may have an issue in cron that needs to be cleaned up. Any suggestions there?

I'm rather confident that my CPU can handle the streaming as I was previously using this box as a JBOD setup and had no issues.

lshw -class cpu

*-cpu:0                 
       description: CPU
       product: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 3
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 15.15.0
       slot: Socket 939
       size: 1GHz
       capacity: 3GHz
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 201MHz
       capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt x86-64 3dnowext 3dnow up lahf_lm cpufreq

I'm rather confident that my CPU can handle the streaming as I was previously using this box as a JBOD setup and had no issues.
Not saying for sure it is or isn't capable enough, but unraid adds a bunch of overhead for parity protection, mostly disk I/O, but some CPU calcs as well, and a CPU that was fine but close to the limit in a JBOD system could very well be overwhelmed in an unraid box asked to do roughly the same tasks.

I pasted the log (using SimpleFeatures plugin and the Log from the main menu) to http://pastebin.com/KRRmqvvG

Apparently the simplefeatures log only shows the last 40 lines of the syslog.    Although it does show you have a problem with a cron entry, it is completely useless in determining what is causing your issues. 

Provide a proper complete system log. (before you reboot, so it will have the history needed for analysis)

Seems I may have an issue in cron that needs to be cleaned up. Any suggestions there?

Disable the add-on features and reboot.

lshw -class cpu

*-cpu:0                 
       description: CPU
       product: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 3
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 15.15.0
       slot: Socket 939
       size: 1GHz
       capacity: 3GHz
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 201MHz
       capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt x86-64 3dnowext 3dnow up lahf_lm cpufreq

As already mentioned, when used as a JBOD the CPU does very little.  Even in unRAID, as stock, the CPU does very little, but as soon as you install add-ons, you need a much more powerful multi-core CPU if you are running CPU intensive apps.

Joe L.