WDC WD10EACS00ZJBO Drive Smart Errors ??

jimwhite

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but a lot of you have these drives and I could use your insight...

Several months ago I bought a 1tb WD MyBook on sale at Costco.  After playing a while, I yanked the drive for my HTPC since they are supposed to run nice and cool, and stuck a 300gb Segate in the case and gave it to my daughter.

Recently I ran a smart test on the drive and noticed that the Reallocated Sector Count failed and was at 140 (using smart status from Everest and Smartctl.exe).

I RMA'd the drive with an advanced replacement.  The new drive arrived yesterday and I quickly attached it to my PC and ran a smart check.  Cool... Reallocated Sector Count read 0.

I fired up a live linux cd of Clonezilla and copied the old drive's partitions to the new drive.  Lo and behold, now the NEW drive fails smart with EXACTLY the same number of Reallocated Sectors.  :o  ???

I downloaded the WD diagnostics and it fails the new drive, BUT, the smart status in the WD program lists a Reallocated Sector Count of 1 and a threshold value of 140.   ???  Is there a dialect problem here?  Why would one Reallocated Sector fail the drive?  And how did it get there?

Anyone got any clues?

???

Is there a dialect problem here?  Why would one Reallocated Sector fail the drive?  And how did it get there?

Anyone got any clues?

Sometimes the smart values do not report a linear value as we would expect.

I.E. there could be other values overlaid or in relation to the number such as a bit mask.

Also, there are plenty of numbers that come into play in determining a drives health.

If you can attach smart reports, we can take a look.