ESXi 5.x - pre-built VMDK for unRAID

11 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

is there an easier way to mount over net to esxi

i have one unRAID VM that boots from vmdk and this vmdk shows in unRAID as Unassigned device. as i have unassigned devices plugin, i can easy mount it in unRAID.

one more thing to prove: on ESXi VM configuration under Advanced settings, have you enabled this option: disk.EnableUUID = "TRUE"?

1 hour ago, uldise said:

i have one unRAID VM that boots from vmdk and this vmdk shows in unRAID as Unassigned device. as i have unassigned devices plugin, i can easy mount it in unRAID.

one more thing to prove: on ESXi VM configuration under Advanced settings, have you enabled this option: disk.EnableUUID = "TRUE"?

@uldise, I do not see that ESXi setting under VM > Settings  anywhere. Is this a ESXi globa advanced setting? Nor do I see my vmdk as an unassigned disk with the unraid Unassigned drives plugin.

2 hours ago, guruleenyc said:

Aside from taking unraid vm offline, downloading the vmdk and mounting it with winimage for bz* file injection, is there an easier way to mount over net to esxi?

No need to download. You can just assign the vmdk (after you powered down unRAID) to another VM - could be Windows, could be Linux, whatever - and you will see the device as a new HDD on that VM, upon which time you can copy stuff to your heart's content. As long as you don't boot from the VMDK that is ?

Edited by doron
5 hours ago, doron said:

No need to download. You can just assign the vmdk (after you powered down unRAID) to another VM - could be Windows, could be Linux, whatever - and you will see the device as a new HDD on that VM, upon which time you can copy stuff to your heart's content. As long as you don't boot from the VMDK that is ?

@doron,

Derr! I must be getting rusty! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL

10 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

@doron, @uldise

I powered down the unraid vm and mounted the vmdk on another vm and copied in all the bz* files. Booted up and it successfully upgraded!

BUT my cache drive is offline and unmountable stating: 

Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout 

Any ideas?

Check this out.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

@doron, @uldise

I powered down the unraid vm and mounted the vmdk on another vm and copied in all the bz* files. Booted up and it successfully upgraded!

BUT my cache drive is offline and unmountable stating: 

Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout 

Any ideas?

@doron,

If I downgrade back to 6.3.2, then boot up and copy all my cache contents to disk1 of array, then re-upgrade to 6.5.2 and format cache drive. Will copying the cache contents back from disk1 recovery my cache and installed dockers?

[mention=8006]doron[/mention],

If I downgrade back to 6.3.2, then boot up and copy all my cache contents to disk1 of array, then re-upgrade to 6.5.2 and format cache drive. Will copying the cache contents back from disk1 recovery my cache and installed dockers?
I see you have read the thread I pointed you at :-) Seems like you should be fine without a downgrade. Remove -> attach with UA -> copy -> attach as cache -> format -> copy back.

Please report results for posterity...
  • Like 1
I see you have read the thread I pointed you at :-) Seems like you should be fine without a downgrade. Remove -> attach with UA -> copy -> attach as cache -> format -> copy back.

Please report results for posterity...
Yes! :-) is going to perform those steps today.

Thank you for all the guidance! I'll report back with outcome.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, doron said:

Check this out.

@doron, I was able to complete the upgrade to 6.5.2 and copy my cache contents to disk1 as a backup. BUT I am not able format the cache drive after starting array. The format starts and then seems to finish quickly. However, the drive fs is the same (btrfs) and the old contents are still on the drive. 

How can I force a format on the cache drive?

1 hour ago, guruleenyc said:

@doron, I was able to complete the upgrade to 6.5.2 and copy my cache contents to disk1 as a backup. BUT I am not able format the cache drive after starting array. The format starts and then seems to finish quickly. However, the drive fs is the same (btrfs) and the old contents are still on the drive. 

How can I force a format on the cache drive?

Let me ask a very stupid question: does the cache drive mount okay now? Cuz if it does, then problem solved, right?

2 hours ago, doron said:

Let me ask a very stupid question: does the cache drive mount okay now? Cuz if it does, then problem solved, right?

It mounts fine, I perform format and it seems to finish quickly. It then still shows mounted. I reboot and it then shows not able to mount message .

UPDATE: After using Preclear, re-mounting and re-formatting again, then rebooting it seems to be mounting properly now. Copying cache contents back over from disk1 to cache drive...

UPDATE: Cache contents copied back from disk1 to cache drive and started docker service, PRESTO! I'm fully upgraded and operational with all dockers and appdata intact.

Thanks @doron and @uldise

Edited by guruleenyc
3 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

It mounts fine, I perform format and it seems to finish quickly. It then still shows mounted. I reboot and it then shows not able to mount message 

Ouch. In your shoes I would now smash the partition table on that drive, and let unRAID format it as new.

(there might be a mighty simpler way to resolve the partition table alignment thing in unRAID - I'm just not sure what that would be - maybe it's time to summon @bonienl to the table?...)

How do you go about doing that? Well first you need to know (with absolute certainty!) what is the device name given to your cache drive. Wrong move here and you kill a live drive. Let's assume it is /dev/sdh (I'm making this up - please check).

Now: 

1. Stop the array, remove the cache drive from it.

2. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdh bs=1M count=1 

(please please make sure it's the right dev. Also, /dev/sdh and not /dev/sdh1)

3. Reassign the cache drive and start it. It now has no partition table, so one needs to be created upon formatting - hopefully a good one :-)

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, uldise said:

what NIC are you using? which driver are you assign to NIC on ESXi side?

your other VMs on the same ESXi server and the same ESXi vSwitch are working?

Yes, i have checked that, and its the same nic as in the other vvm's.

I even installed a new vm with windows to see if dns is propogating a new ip, and it is.

SO no issuies on dns side.

Just that when i load this vmdk into a brand new vm, and boot it, its without ip address.

thank you all so much for your responses and all the tips. You guys are really awesome here. Fantastic community!!

I have literally spent hours yesterday and today and unable wrap my head around this.

So i have verified the other vm's in my esxi host, and few of them are using E1000e for Network Adapter settings in ESXi. My FreeNAS setup is using E1000e as well.

XmykD0z.png

Now here i a screenshot of my unraid vm when i fire it up

1Ysp0kQ.png

Please note, 192.158.1.99 is my server's default gateway (its the address to my firewall appliance).

So i punched in the other IP address 192.168.1.106 into my putty client, and it took me right into the unRAID server setup..

WdgFlCy.png

However when i type the ip address 192.168.1.106 or even tower/ into my chome address bar it does not work. See below.

nkRgy70.png

x5uC53V.png

@doron Here is the output of the two commands you asked me to execute.

L0Ovwlj.png

I would be very thankful to anyone who can help me with the resolution of this issue.

I have teamviewer installed. Can anyone help me with logging into my system and see whats going on? please?

I will be online for several hours, let me know and i will pm you my teamviewer id and password.

Edited by Socrates

Okay @Socrates, this implies that your server does get an IP address (etc.) from the DHCP server. You are connecting to it via SSH. What does not seem to run is the web server (nginx). "Connection Refused" means we got to the box, but the applicable port (80 by default for a web client) is not open (listened to).

At any rate, can you do, on the shell you connect to via putty, run this and post the output:

netstat -apn | grep LISTEN | grep 80

1 minute ago, doron said:

Okay @Socrates, this implies that your server does get an IP address (etc.) from the DHCP server. You are connecting to it via SSH. What does not seem to run is the web server (nginx). "Connection Refused" means we got to the box, but the applicable port (80 by default for a web client) is not open (listened to).

At any rate, can you do, on the shell you connect to via putty, run this and post the output:

netstat -apn | grep LISTEN | grep 80

Sure here it is.

root@Tower:~# netstat -apn | grep LISTEN | grep 80
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     808      1988/acpid           /var/run/acpid.socket
root@Tower:~#

Just now, Socrates said:

Sure here it is.

root@Tower:~# netstat -apn | grep LISTEN | grep 80
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     808      1988/acpid           /var/run/acpid.socket

Okay you definitely do not have a web server running.

To cut on the back and forth, please post output of:

ps auxww | egrep "emhttp|nginx"

plus, your "go" script (lives under /boot/config - you can just "cat /boot/config/go" )

1 minute ago, doron said:

Okay you definitely do not have a web server running.

To cut on the back and forth, please post output of:

ps auxww | egrep "emhttp|nginx"

plus, your "go" script (lives under /boot/config - you can just "cat /boot/config/go" )

Here..

root@Tower:~# ps auxww | egrep "emhttp|nginx"
root      8518  0.0  0.0   9652  1856 pts/0    S+   15:24   0:00 grep -E emhttp|nginx

Here is the output for the go script.

root@Tower:~# cat /boot/config/go
cat: /boot/config/go: No such file or directory