unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc12 Available

lol cannot download your main site got defaced ......

wow...  I saw this this morning at 5am before work.  Monday morning I was still waking up... that was freaky.....  I found what the song was: 

anyone know what the film clip with the clown was?  or the name of the hacking group?

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol cannot download your main site got defaced ......

wow...  I saw this this morning at 5am before work.  Monday morning I was still waking up... that was freaky.....  I found what the song was: 

anyone know what the film clip with the clown was?  or the name of the hacking group?

That film clip was from the miniseries IT. It was a two part miniseries based in the Steven King novel. I know because I saw it when I was about 7 years old and it terrified me for years haha. Whenever I watch it now it still brings back the terrifying memories I had as a kid. It's supposed to be adapted into a feature film some time soon.

That film clip was from the miniseries IT. It was a two part miniseries based in the Steven King novel.

Wow -- that definitely left an impression if you still knew the clip now after seeing it when you were seven !!    I can't think of ANY movie I remember from that age ... although that's probably about the age I was the first time I saw the original King Kong  :)

[No, I didn't see it when it was released in 1933  :) ]

Wow -- that definitely left an impression if you still knew the clip now after seeing it when you were seven !!    I can't think of ANY movie I remember from that age

I remember going to the cinema to see Lawrence of Arabia, in 1962 or 3.  I would have been 8 y/o at the time.

looking at the new site, the AVS-10/4 server lists this in the "specs".....

Includes unRAID Server OS with Pro registration. Our latest unRAID Server release supports several advanced features including a cache pool. For example, you can configure your 10 high capacity hard drives in an unRAID array, and configure 4 fast 2.5? SSD’s in a RAID-1 btrfs cache pool.

looking at the new site, the AVS-10/4 server lists this in the "specs".....

Includes unRAID Server OS with Pro registration. Our latest unRAID Server release supports several advanced features including a cache pool. For example, you can configure your 10 high capacity hard drives in an unRAID array, and configure 4 fast 2.5? SSD’s in a RAID-1 btrfs cache pool.

pre order available may 8th... which is now....    It doesn't say when it will be available....  pay now and receive when 5.1 is released?? 

If the plan is to introduce this feature to the endless RC's then I think there will be a lot of pissed of people who have already purchased the software and are waiting for 5 to go final..... 

If the plan is to introduce this feature to the endless RC's then I think there will be a lot off pissed of people who have already purchased the software and are waiting for 5 to go final.....

+1  a lot of pissed off people

One thing for sure.... If another round of RC's start because of new features theres going to be another uprising.

I really hope this is just premature PR and not an indication of v5 scope creep delaying v5.... i suspect it is nothing more than some premature feature adverts

One thing for sure.... If another round of RC's start because of new features theres going to be another uprising.

I really hope this is just premature PR and not an indication of v5 scope creep delaying v5.... i suspect it is nothing more than some premature feature adverts

even if it is premature PR, it seems pretty obvious were the focus is at the moment......    It looks a lot like a really cool case has been sourced that a good profit can be made from, but the case is going to need this new feature before it is viable.....

I'm all for Limetech making profits from sales of hardware...  but finalizing 5 needs to be the main priority.... I mean come on, some times new versions of betas or RC's are released with no testing at all and then need to be replaced with an a or b version to fix something that a small amount of testing would have avoided.  I think I speak for most people here when I say that we are happy to provide the testing for you to save your time and speed the project along, provided you invest that time we save you into finalizing 5 and not how to maximize profits though a different market!

SURELY the new server ad is a good indication that v5 FINAL is VERY close !!

Of course, the 8 May date (e.g. today) is for "pre-orders" ... so that leaves a few weeks of "fudge time" ... but I DO think RC12a is stable "enough" to be very close to final.

Of course, the server ad also says "... Our latest unRAID Server release supports several advanced features including a cache pool."  ==> which I suppose means that at least that feature is going to be added before v5 is "final"  :)

<Sigh>  It's only been 2 years, 3 months, and 14 days since v4.7 "final" was available.    And next week will be 6 years since v4 "final" was released  :)

Note that from v3 "final" to v4 "final" was 7 months. 

Oct 14, 2006 => v3 Final

May 13, 2007 => v4 Final

SURELY the new server ad is a good indication that v5 FINAL is VERY close !!

Of course, the 8 May date (e.g. today) is for "pre-orders" ... so that leaves a few weeks of "fudge time" ... but I DO think RC12a is stable "enough" to be very close to final.

Of course, the server ad also says "... Our latest unRAID Server release supports several advanced features including a cache pool."  ==> which I suppose means that at least that feature is going to be added before v5 is "final"  :)

<Sigh>  It's only been 2 years, 3 months, and 14 days since v4.7 "final" was available.    And next week will be 6 years since v4 "final" was released  :)

Note that from v3 "final" to v4 "final" was 7 months. 

Oct 14, 2006 => v3 Final

May 13, 2007 => v4 Final

5.0 beta 1 was released in July 2010. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7046.0

So it's only been in beta just under three f'ing years. But who's counting anyway? Certainly not Tom...

I think the most frustrating thing about waiting for the "final" release is the nearly complete absence of any status updates.    A "V5 Status" thread, with a weekly update by Tom (the thread could be otherwise locked) would go a LONG way to keeping folks a bit more patient.

I think the most frustrating thing about waiting for the "final" release is the nearly complete absence of any status updates.    A "V5 Status" thread, with a weekly update by Tom (the thread could be otherwise locked) would go a LONG way to keeping folks a bit more patient.

I think Tom has made it pretty clear that he's not a PR kinda guy.  he would rather ignore all this debate and then chime in with a smart a** response to something else down the track....

remove all the content that doesn't belong in this thread and it's pretty clear that more effort has been spent on upgrading the hardware sales then updating the software....

My guess would be otherwise, that Tom has added this feature to the current release, otherwise wouldn't this be false advertising?

... otherwise wouldn't this be false advertising?

:)

Gee, you mean claiming something that isn't so in a computer-related advertisement !!  :)

... if you or I had a nickel for every computer-related ad that did that in recent decades we could be streaming our movies from an UnRAID server on our yacht in the Med  :)

Actually, that claim is on the same page that outlines the other "coming" capabilities in the new server, which isn't even available yet -- supposedly it will be pre-orderable as of today.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that Tom is spending his time adding a slideshow of people's server to the homepage instead of dedicating that time to finalizing 5.0.

Not to mention today is the 8th and that new server is not available for preorder.

I'm honestly flabbergasted that Tom is spending his time adding a slideshow of people's server to the homepage instead of dedicating that time to finalizing 5.0.

Not to mention today is the 8th and that new server is not available for preorder.

You think this is Tom doing the website and not someone else handling the non-development efforts such as website redesign?

You think this is Tom doing the website and not someone else handling the non-development efforts such as website redesign?

Who knows what Tom is doing? He certainly never makes that clear to anyone. Except for when he makes random threads such as the one where he announced he is going on vacation in September and that 5.0 will be final soon after. Oh, but that was 8 months ago. And 5.0 is not final.

Not really sure what people think is going to be accomplished by having a dig at Tom!

I know we're all looking forward to 5.0 final, but have some patience - it'll be done when it's done.  Complaining that it isn't released yet isn't going to change anything... except perhaps the number of Topic reply notifications in my Inbox!  ;)

Who knows what Tom is doing? He certainly never makes that clear to anyone. Except for when he makes random threads such as the one where he announced he is going on vacation in September and that 5.0 will be final soon after. Oh, but that was 8 months ago. And 5.0 is not final.

It's fairly clear (from Tom's comments in another thread) that he does not do his own website.  As for "available for pre-order on the 8th" ==> (a) it was clearly part of the website material he gave the designer;  (b)  the 8th isn't over yet [ :)];  and © a missed pre-order deadline is hardly a big deal.

As I noted above, I think the most frustrating part of the whole process is the complete lack of any status info.    When Tom posted his "Our of Office until Oct 3" thread, he got lots of positive notes wishing him a great vacation;  etc.    But when Oct 3rd came and went ... and went ... and went ... etc. that thread got very negative => not because v5 wasn't out yet;  but because simply posting the note very clearly implied that we'd hear more when he returned !!    In essence, we're all still waiting  :)

I suspect Tom is as frustrated as anyone that v5 isn't final yet => but it'd be nice to know WHY ... is he waiting for a key kernel fix?    .... trying to isolate some nasty bug?  ... waiting for the shipments of the new server to start coming in?  ... taking a vacation and doesn't want to release until he's back? ... etc.    I'm convinced that if he COULD make v5 "final" in good conscience, he WOULD have already.

In any event, I'm sure that collecting pictures of systems for a web-site scrolling banner isn't impacting the v5 release !!    I don't think getting frustrated and venting helps anything ... we all just need to be patient and I'm sure Tom will release v5 when it's ready and STABLE.    In that respect I'm glad he has the integrity to not release a product and call it stable if he has any doubts.    I DO, of course, wish that he'd take the time to do a weekly "Status" note !!

95% of the criticisms and complaints would be solved with simple (more frequent) engagement from Tom.

I would be disappointed if it took 2 more years for v5 to be released, but if he communicated with the community...  While I and others would be disappointed, they would not be angry.  (At least 95% of us)

That's the only real frustrating thing to me. 

This communication "style" is turning advocates into detractors.  Simple fact, and it is avoidable.

I do not consider myself angry - very difficult problem he's trying to fix... but at the same time I'm not exactly an advocate right now.  (Nor do I post criticisms on other boards - I'm just not raving about the situation)

95% of the criticisms and complaints would be solved with simple (more frequent) engagement from Tom.

I would be disappointed if it took 2 more years for v5 to be released, but if he communicated with the community...  While I and others would be disappointed, they would not be angry.  (At least 95% of us)

That's the only real frustrating thing to me. 

This communication "style" is turning advocates into detractors.  Simple fact, and it is avoidable.

I do not consider myself angry - very difficult problem he's trying to fix... but at the same time I'm not exactly an advocate right now.  (Nor do I post criticisms on other boards - I'm just not raving about the situation)

As I noted above, I absolutely agree.    I suspect Tom is as frustrated as the rest of us (perhaps even more so) that v5 isn't "final" yet.    But he has the integrity to not release it until it's ready -- which is a GOOD thing.   

By FAR the most frustrating part thing is the near-complete lack of any status info.    A "v5 Status" thread that was locked except for Tom, with a weekly status update is all it would take to remove 99% of the frustration !!  ... this doesn't need to be extensive -- a short, 3-minutes-to-write update would be fine.