Is This Drive Bad?

This Server has been totally stable for 3 years.

An ST32000542AS red balled, and I’m pre-clearing a replacement.  In the mean time, I’ve been testing the drive on another pc.  Seatools for DOS comes up clean.  The UnRaid MyMain Smart web page looks good.  Smartctl doesn’t show anything critical.

I’m wondering if the problem is the drive or some other component.

The end of the Syslog shows the drive failure.

4.7 final, C2SEE w/drive on the internal controller, Celeron 1400, 4GB, Corsair VX450, (1) SIL3132 PCIx SATA controller, Intel PCI NIC, 7 drives in total.

Syslog_etc.zip

Wow!  As far as I know, that is the longest duration syslog I have ever seen!  You booted UnRAID v4.7 on October 30, and there is a very clean, very nice log of daily spinups and spindowns and logins and NTP time syncs all the way to March 17, almost 5 months of uninterrupted service.  There was one media error in late November, several possible power glitches to ata3 along the way, but relatively error-free, until sdg Disk 1 suddenly dropped out.

There are no obvious clues as to why it quit talking.  It simply did not respond to a request, and no further efforts were successful in resuming contact, so it was disabled, marked missing.  The first step usually is to test the drive, make sure it did not catastrophically fail, and then see if there are lesser issues, and you did that, and your tests and SMART report seem to indicate the drive is completely fine.  The next suspects would be to see if one of the cables just fell off either the drive or at the other end, or a backplane connection came loose, or a power splitter disconnected.  After that, if the system and the drive seem to be fine, there's nothing you can do, just chalk it up to a cosmic ray or whatever other cause you want to blame.  In general, when a drive suddenly drops off like that, it usually is fine.

Even a Supermicro C2SEA server board like yours can be allowed one glitch in 5 months!

Wow!  As far as I know, that is the longest duration syslog I have ever seen!  You booted UnRAID v4.7 on October 30, and there is a very clean, very nice log of daily spinups and spindowns and logins and NTP time syncs all the way to March 17, almost 5 months of uninterrupted service.

Downloaded his log just to check it out, his is 160KB for 5 months worth of logs, mine is 2.5GB for 5 minutes worth of logs.  :-[

Rob

Thanks for the great feedback.

Just for the record, I've included the previous syslog. A power outage from Hurricane Sandy forced the server down after 9 months.  Other than a few media errors and a sporatic "frozen" error from  the unresolved Barracuda 7200.11 firmware issues, nothing noteworthy.

UnRaid 4.7 has been so incredibly stable that I haven't wanted to upgrade.  The price I paid was having to purchase another small (2TB) drive, and not having the luxury to wait for a good sale.

I'm looking forward to an equally stable 5.0 release.

Syslog_2012-10-29.zip

Thank you, both syslogs are amazing!  It was interesting to see the power glitches that Sandy was sending you, until finally forcing you down for good.

Downloaded his log just to check it out, his is 160KB for 5 months worth of logs, mine is 2.5GB for 5 minutes worth of logs.  :-[

If aim60's syslogs should earn a prize, yours should too (2.5GB in 5 minutes is quite an accomplishment!), but a very different kind of prize, perhaps the boobie prize?    :D