M1015 / X9SCM-F USB Firmware Tools

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Hey BetaQuasi,

I am new to the flashing of raid controllers and used some tutorials to make at least some progress. I have some questions regarding upgrading the firmeware, but first some of my specs.

I used a tutorial to upgrade a HP ProLiant MicroServer (Gen8), I am using a IBM M1015 card in this server. This tutorial linked to your files for flashing the M1015, as far as I can tell from the posts in this forum to the LSI 9211.

My OS is freeNAS and I have a warning for a driver / firmware mismatch, which is why I want to upgrade both of them.

Could you tell me if I am correct with my assumptions?

• during the flashing process the BIOS updated with

-b mptsas2.rom

• is not the MB BIOS? Regarding the posts in this thread that you could flash the card not using this parameter, which results in a quicker loading of the card?
  • if my above assumption is correct, is it possible to revert the BIOS update by reflashing the card and skipping the parameter during the process?
  • as moose said in his post the easiest way to upgrade would be to use the firmware package (P20 right now) and one of the installers (I used the "sasflsh" command, with freeDos on the USB Stick I guess it's the part for dos system) copying it over your package and use the upgrade code?

Thanks in advance

Phil

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tried your steps with the flash utility, but I get this error.

Tower login: root
Password:
Linux 3.16.3-unRAID.
Last login: Sun Nov 30 06:22:12 -0500 2014 on pts/0 from 192.168.1.4.
root@Tower:~# cd /boot/linux
root@Tower:/boot/linux# ls
2118it.bin*  mptsas2.rom*  sas2flash*
root@Tower:/boot/linux# sas2flash -o -listall
-bash: ./sas2flash: cannot execute binary file
root@Tower:/boot/linux#

Unfortunately, I am getting exactly the same error message. Any ideas?

Password:
Linux 3.16.3-unRAID.

Is it a linux executable or a DOS executable?

Not sure. I would have expected it is linux executable. Please from the .txt file of the downloaded help-me file. I ussed the i686_x86-64 version.

Installer fOr Linux (SAS2FLASH)    :  \sas2flash_linux_i686_x86-64_rel\sas2flash    Version: 19.00.00.00        Release Date:18-MAR-14

Installer fOr Linux (SAS2FLASH)    :  \sas2flash_linux_ppc64_rel\sas2flash          Version: 19.00.00.00        Release Date:18-MAR-14

Password:
Linux 3.16.3-unRAID.

I ran into the same issue.  It appears that the sas2flash is a 32 bit executable file, not a 64 bit version. 

I built a separate 5.x unRaid USB drive and copied the linux SAS2Flash and firmware/bios files to it.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I went this route as the firmware upgrade is my last remaining hope...

Installing Unraid 5 was actually easy and it is running now.

I also downloaded all the files required, but fail with a very simple task. I cannot copy the files to the flash disk. I just copied them manually (plugged unraid usb into another computer), but cannot find them after booting into unraid. Also, winscp does not appear to work. This worked in Unraid 6, but somehow missing something in Unraid 5. Please note that I did not create an array in Unraid 5 as I hope to be able to do so without.

Any thoughts?

Ok, I went this route as the firmware upgrade is my last remaining hope...

Installing Unraid 5 was actually easy and it is running now.

I also downloaded all the files required, but fail with a very simple task. I cannot copy the files to the flash disk. I just copied them manually (plugged unraid usb into another computer), but cannot find them after booting into unraid. Also, winscp does not appear to work. This worked in Unraid 6, but somehow missing something in Unraid 5. Please note that I did not create an array in Unraid 5 as I hope to be able to do so without.

Any thoughts?

The root of the USB drive should show up on the network under \\tower\flash, or at the console or telnet terminal under /boot.

Perfect, thanks. I have now run the firmware upgrade and all went flawless. I should now be on FW19 in IT mode. Any idea where I can validate whether that's indeed the current state?

Run this from the dos propt

sas2flsh.exe -o -listall

or from efi shell

sas2flash.efi -o -listall

Alternately you should be able to boot into unraid with the controller installed and it should report the firmware version and wether it's in IT mode or not in your syslog.  You just have to scroll down and look for it.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Flashed worked successfully!

Though with the original subject specifically targeting the X9SCM boards (which I have), I was simply following along the steps of the original post which went straight straight to flashing the M1015 while in DOS command line, which immediately resulted in errors.

Silly me that I didn't initially read the follow-up post that provided instrux for UEFI shell, needed for boards with UEFI like the X9SCM.

FYI, there are newer X9SCM BIOS and IPMI firmwares than the ones provided in this thread, R2.2 and R3.38 respectively, as of December 2016.

• 4 years later...

According to the article „Pimp my HP Proliant G8 Microserver: 4×3,3GHz E3 und 16GB RAM” (https://www.meintechblog.de/2014/11/pimp-my-hp-proliant-g8-microserver-4x33ghz-e3-und-16gb-ram/)

I want to install
IBM ServeRAID M1015 46M0861 SAS_SATA PCI-E RAID Controller
in my
HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8.  

Unfortunately I cannot download
M1015_X9SCM_BOOT_P17 .zip
from

This Link does not work.
Can you help?
Many Thanks

Edited by tom4tiger