Any TCC users here (Take Command / enhanced dos shell)

tr0910

I have used TCC in the past when it was called 4dos.  Today it's a rich environment for scripting in Windows.  I was having problems getting a dir listing that I could import into a log file, and it has so many more options that I was glad to be reunited with it.  There is a free version, and a paid more complete environment.  Is anyone familiar with it?

From their website : http://jpsoft.com/

Take Command  is designed for Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Server 2012, and is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Take Command combines the best features of the GUI and character-mode interfaces. You can have multiple console applications open in tabbed windows, with a Windows Explorer-like interface available for those times when you need a visual look at your folders.

I used it years ago. Loved it.

Then I discovered UNIX.

When OS/2 was big there was a GNU layer and I made my OS/2 machine work like a unix machine with REXX enhancements.

Today there is Cygwin. If I were still programming in DOS/Windows, I would probably be using TCC, but my heart would still be with UNIX and Cygwin.

I had my OS/2 days too.  It had so much promise, but by ver 4 I was returning to Windows because apps never materialized for OS/2.  It's amazing the staying power of trash with a good app environment.  (it will take the iphone a few years to die too) ;-)

Never went Unix as I was never that much of a geek.  Buffalo Linkstations introduced me to Linux, and unRaid just intensified it.  Now I'm figuring out how to root my android phones. 

I guess ??nix at long last will rule the world.

I had my OS/2 days too.  It had so much promise, but by ver 4 I was returning to Windows because apps never materialized for OS/2.  It's amazing the staying power of trash with a good app environment.  (it will take the iphone a few years to die too) ;-)

Never went Unix as I was never that much of a geek.  Buffalo Linkstations introduced me to Linux, and unRaid just intensified it.  Now I'm figuring out how to root my android phones. 

I guess ??nix at long last will rule the world.

Android isn't really *nix in the sense that Linux, BSD, Solaris etc. are. It uses this Linux kernel but everything runs in a modified Java VM. The iPhone actually runs an OS that is based on BSD.