How secure is unraid?

Automatic

Hi there,

I am about to start building my first unraid box.

Since it is not secure to open up unraid to the web and I want to continue using an Android App to add movies and control SABnzbd when I am not at home, I need some advice please.

The App (NZB360) can ONLY connect to a host-adress or an internal IP.

So I have thought of two ways how to tackle this problem and would love to here your veteran thoughts or ways how you are doing it.

I can setup a VPN and then, whenever I want to use the App, connect my Android Phone to my VPN and then add movies or control SAB running on my unRAID box as a plugin. This way, would be easy to setup, but not very comfortable to run, because I would always have to switch to the VPN connection whenever I just want to quickly check on SAB.

Or I can setup a VM or ESXi and have both unRAID and e.g. an Ubuntu VM. Then i would have SAB and all Apps running on the VM and would be able to connect just like I do now. Right now I connect over dynDNS to a Linux Mint Machine and have to appropiate ports open and password secured.

Which way would be easier to setup?

More future-proof?

Easier to manage, when its running?

I imagine, that when i have a VM running and unraid at the same time, the CPU will be used a lot. When i would only have unraid running, the cpu could (?) throttle down when not used, which would result in a lower energy-bill.

Any ideas and/or suggestions? : )

Hi there,

Since it is not secure to open up unraid to the web and I want to continue using an Android App to add movies and control SABnzbd when I am not at home, I need some advice please.

So I have thought of two ways how to tackle this problem and would love to here your veteran thoughts or ways how you are doing it.

I can setup a VPN and then, whenever I want to use the App, connect my Android Phone to my VPN and then add movies or control SAB running on my unRAID box as a plugin. This way, would be easy to setup, but not very comfortable to run, because I would always have to switch to the VPN connection whenever I just want to quickly check on SAB.

Or I can setup a VM or ESXi and have both unRAID and e.g. an Ubuntu VM. Then i would have SAB and all Apps running on the VM and would be able to connect just like I do now. Right now I connect over dynDNS to a Linux Mint Machine and have to appropiate ports open and password secured.

More future-proof?

I imagine, that when i have a VM running and unraid at the same time, the CPU will be used a lot. When i would only have unraid running, the cpu could (?) throttle down when not used, which would result in a lower energy-bill.

well, some things might be not optimal, but secure (like switching to vpn to do the secure stuff). a little price to pay for having your box secured i think.

movies (same as music) you could run also via subsonic plugin for easy access.

L

Hi there,

More future-proof?

I am using a pptp vpn myself, works fine, I do have to set it up before I want to use an application inside my network.

I know however that there is an option to fix this, I am using an iphone and I am certain that if I can set this up there it would be possible on android to:

With an Iphone it is possible to configure "Connect on demand", as soon as you go to a site (ip/dns) inside a vpn the iphone will setup a vpn connection and use it for that traffic. Drawback is that the iphone can only do this with a certificate based vpn, so I would need to change my pptp setup to openvpn, something I have had on the agenda for longer and might just do to get this working.

It is however a random apple thought to only allow this with certificate based vpn''s, I can easily imagine that there is such an option on android that might work with pptp also.

I would go that route (with openvpn or pptp, knowing that pptp actually really takes 5 minutes to setup).

I used to use a dd-wrt router and use the vpn server on that,  I moved to a new router for better wireless coverage and therefor had to setup a different vpn server. I am now running a 512mb/1gig vm (ubuntu 32 mini)and setup pptp on that, really took 5 minutes.

As far as I have been able to find out this is the safest option and it is really, really easy..