rsnapshot - anybody running it?

I have got it running my unRAID system from a Linux system.  Getting it running on unRAID should work, google turned up at least one binary package for rsnapshot and plenty for perl.

One thing I found out, the user filesystems do not support hard links, so you need to make your destination on a physical disk (which do support hard mounts) or you will fill your disks up.  Using an NFS will work, as long as the destination is not a unRAID user filesystem.

I turned these up in my search, I don't know if they work though:

http://pkgs.org/slackware-13.37/slacky-i486/rsnapshot-1.3.1-i486-5sl.txz.html

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-14.0/slackware/d/

(BTW, I am using Crashplan, it works nicely on unRAID)

I downloaded the rsnapshot tgz from here:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/rsnapshot/pkg/13.1/  and did an installpkg

and perl was installed from unmenu.

I modified the rsnapshot.conf file to backup disk1 to disk2 on a v5rc12a  testbed, and it worked with less than 1 hr invested.  (which for a linux know nothing is quite acceptable to me)

The snapshots are working.  Initially Windows was not able to see the .snapshot directory, but I could see it from mc

from a putty session.  Running the new permissions script on the server fixed it.  Had to run this several times during

startup as the folders were not all visible.  (hourly was showing, but daily wasn't, so run permissions script again)

One thing it seems to want to create a stucture for each snapshot like this:

hourly.0

localhost

mnt

disk1

documents

backups

hourly.1 .....

hourly.2 .....

daily.0 .....

daily.1 .....

and so on...

Can we get rid of the localhost and mnt levels and start at the document & backups level or at least the disk1 level?

rsnapshot.conf attached:

rsnapshot.conf

I tried it before and it didn't work, but modified the rsnapshot.conf as follows and now "backups" and "documents" are immediate available under "snapshots":

###############################
### BACKUP POINTS / SCRIPTS ###
###############################

# LOCALHOST
backup	/mnt/disk1/Backups/	backups/
backup	/mnt/disk1/Documents/	documents/

Now I just need to have the snapshots made read only.  I don't want people clobbering things by mistake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I guess there is no unRAID package for rsnapshot? Is the install simple enough where one isn't needed or is a package something people would be interested in?

I got it running without anything.  There is the rsnapshot.conf file to edit with a text editor to configure it for your system but thats about it.