[Solved] ESXI doesn't see ibm m1015 in passthrough configuration

Hello quys

I'm building my own esxi server.

HW is as follows:

Supermicro X9SCM-F

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2

And i have 2 IBM M1015 cross-flashed to IT mode.

I'm currently running ESXI 5.1 (the latest version as of now)

The first couple of virtual servers are running but I have problems with the unraid server, more specifically setting the m1015 to passthrough.

It seems to me that vSphere can't see them.

8_4_2013_00_44_17.jpg

Is it just my eyes or aren't the m1015 not visible.

Could the reason be a incorrect cross flash, if so is there an way to test if the system can see them. Or could it be something else.

Also I have my parity drive a (Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001, 3TB) directly hooked up to a sata port on my MB, how should i pass it through to the unraid vm. My normal datastorages are also directly connected to the MB.

Thanks upfront for any advise you can give me.

Hello quys

I'm building my own esxi server.

HW is as follows:

Supermicro X9SCM-F

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2

And i have 2 IBM M1015 cross-flashed to IT mode.

I'm currently running ESXI 5.1 (the latest version as of now)

The first couple of virtual servers are running but I have problems with the unraid server, more specifically setting the m1015 to passthrough.

It seems to me that vSphere can't see them.

8_4_2013_00_44_17.jpg

Is it just my eyes or aren't the m1015 not visible.

Could the reason be a incorrect cross flash, if so is there an way to test if the system can see them. Or could it be something else.

Also I have my parity drive a (Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001, 3TB) directly hooked up to a sata port on my MB, how should i pass it through to the unraid vm. My normal datastorages are also directly connected to the MB.

Thanks upfront for any advise you can give me.

Did you turn on VT-d in the motherboard BIOS?

Yes VT-d is enabled

8_4_2013_19_59_48.jpg

I went back to all the bios intruction in the atlas tread it says the following.

In the advanced tab: PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration

Set PCI ROM Priority to "EFI Compatible ROM"

(NOTE: for Ver 2.0a BIOS this is replaced with "Disable OPROM for slots 7&6" set them to "Disabled")

bCnazm.png

But I can't find this setting in my bios. Could this be the cause?

8_4_2013_20_00_23.jpg

There should be two settings to turn on passthrough correctly.  One is what you mention above.  The other is labeled something like "Intel® Virtualization Technology" in the bios.  Also did you power off and then back on after changing them.  The manual mentions that for the field I looked up so it might also be needed for the VT-d setting as well.

There should be two settings to turn on passthrough correctly.  One is what you mention above.

Bob which setting do you mean the vt-d setting or pci setting?

I mentioned it in my post.  I looked up in the X9SCM-F manual in the bios settings and it mentions "Intel® Virtualization Technology" setting - but I didn't see a graphic of the screen so I couldn't post that.  Look at the manual for "Intel® Virtualization Technology" phrase.

There should be two settings to turn on passthrough correctly.  One is what you mention above.

I mentioned it in my post.  I looked up in the X9SCM-F manual in the bios settings and it mentions "Intel® Virtualization Technology" setting - but I didn't see a graphic of the screen so I couldn't post that.  Look at the manual for "Intel® Virtualization Technology" phrase.

I think you mean this setting it is enabled in my bios.

8_4_2013_20_40_36.jpg

I think if this wasn't on my other vm's shouldn't work at all.

I think you mean this setting it is enabled in my bios.

8_4_2013_20_40_36.jpg

I think if this wasn't on my other vm's shouldn't work at all.

Correct on all counts.  After changing the VT-d setting did you power off the computer and then power it back on?  The manual mentions needing to do that for the "Intel® Virtualization Technology" setting - didn't check if the same requirement was needed for VT-d.  I don't use my X9SCM-F MB currently but I never had a problem with it detecting the M1015 cards before - just a x1 PCIe 1.0 tuner card after a bios update.  Buy chance did you skip the bios flash to speed up boots?  If so you might try that - but I'm almost certain it shouldn't make a difference.

I have already skipped the bios of the m1015.

I already had reset and shutdown my computer. Just did it again and removed the power to be sure, no joy.

Is there some way to test the controllers. Maybe by booting directly to unraid instead of using esxi?

I have already skipped the bios of the m1015.

Don't expect a problem with this or it would have been reported before now but I flashed the bios on MY M1015s so that I can see the drives upon booting.  That appears to be a difference between your M1015s and mine based on your post.

I already had reset and shutdown my computer. Just did it again and removed the power to be sure, no joy.

Is there some way to test the controllers. Maybe by booting directly to unraid instead of using esxi?

That would be my suggestion.  Just put the unRAID flash as the boot instead of ESXi flash.  See if unRAID picks up the drives then.  I have 6 cards - 5 working - toasted one - so that would be an unfortunate problem if it happened to yours.

well i think i have found the problem when I boot directly into unraid I don't see any drives either. So the problem isn't in esxi.

I will start testing the controllers I hope they aren't bricked or anything.

Edit:

Well i can tick something else of the list.

I took the cards out of my computer and into another and booted to unraid. It then detected the drives connected to the controller correctly.

So only thing left is the mobo I think is will clear the cmos and try again.

Edit2:

I have returned the bios settings to factory default. This should have the same effect as removing the cmos battery right? Or does that do something extra?

Then booted directly into unraid so no esxi still no drives from the m1015.

I'm running the latest bios ver 2.0b I guess i'm not the only one that uses that? Is there any kind of jumper on the mobo that can cause behavior like this?