Seagate Desktop ST4000DM000 4TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $159.99

bw1

If you track down the Product Manual for the ST4000DM000 [link], you still won't find any mention of RPM! But, "there's more than one way to skin a cat"--they DO specify the Average latency as 5.1 millisec. (on both pg 11 & 15).

The rotational speed is directly derived from that spec by:

RPM = (1 / (AvgLat * 2)) * 60      [for AvgLat = .0051 (seconds)]

and yields 5882.  But the 5.1 msec is likely rounded up slightly (cf. 5.0847 msec), so 5900 RPM.

Personally, I plan on waiting to see if they produce a 4TB 7200RPM version (maybe ST4000DM001) to get that 15-20% boost in transfer rates, which should have a minimal increase in noise/power/heat (using a comparison of ST3000DM001 [3TB/7200] with ST3000DM003 [3TB/5900] as the basis).

If you track down the Product Manual for the ST4000DM000 [link], you still won't find any mention of RPM! But, "there's more than one way to skin a cat"--they DO specify the Average latency as 5.1 millisec. (on both pg 11 & 15).

The rotational speed is directly derived from that spec by:

RPM = (1 / (AvgLat * 2)) * 60      [for AvgLat = .0051 (seconds)]

and yields 5882.  But the 5.1 msec is likely rounded up slightly (cf. 5.0847 msec), so 5900 RPM.

Personally, I plan on waiting to see if they produce a 4TB 7200RPM version (maybe ST4000DM001) to get that 15-20% boost in transfer rates, which should have a minimal increase in noise/power/heat (using a comparison of ST3000DM001 [3TB/7200] with ST3000DM003 [3TB/5900] as the basis).

Interesting to know. I assumed these would be 7900RPM like the 3TB version.

I thought the DX was 7200 RPM and the DM were 5900 RPM. At least that's what the externals are.

There are no RPM specs on the Seagate site: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/desktop-hdd/?sku=ST4000DM000

The DM's in 3TB that I have are 7200rpm.

Yes, the external 3TB DM's that I have are 7200, but apparently they started making 2 versions of 4TB external drives - see comparison here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26140.0

I thought the DX was 7200 RPM and the DM were 5900 RPM. At least that's what the externals are.

There are no RPM specs on the Seagate site: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/desktop-hdd/?sku=ST4000DM000

The DM's in 3TB that I have are 7200rpm.

Yes, the external 3TB DM's that I have are 7200, but apparently they started making 2 versions of 4TB external drives - see comparison here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26140.0

Doesn't surprise me.  They just want to muddy the waters and confuse everybody with similar model names.

It's simple to me, if the drive does not pass QA inspection at 7200 rpm, they tone it down to 5900 RPM and omit the specs from the data sheets for their consumers. Consumers see it is a little bit slower than the 7200 rpm variants, but consumes less wattage so they gobble it up! That is the origin of every green drive is it not? The top of the line in testing go to enterprise use, then 10k rpm black drives for consumers, then 7200 rpm for average everyday, and they continue lowering it down to some 5x00rpm level until the errors are within reason and then call it green because it in turn uses less energy?!

It's simple to me, if the drive does not pass QA inspection at 7200 rpm, they tone it down to 5900 RPM and omit the specs from the data sheets for their consumers. Consumers see it is a little bit slower than the 7200 rpm variants, but consumes less wattage so they gobble it up! That is the origin of every green drive is it not? The top of the line in testing go to enterprise use, then 10k rpm black drives for consumers, then 7200 rpm for average everyday, and they continue lowering it down to some 5x00rpm level until the errors are within reason and then call it green because it in turn uses less energy?!

You've got the right idea, but I believe your details are off.

(This is conjecture; I have no "inside info" ...) Early in manufacturing, the platters are probably graded, and that will likely dictate what RecordingDensity and rotational speed they are suited for; they will then be used in assembly of that particular model/line. I doubt that the motors are made to be adjusted for different speeds--there are 10K, 7.2K & 5.xK motors.

(Other major components--heads, servos, actuators--are likely similarly graded/appropriated) Then the drives are assembled and then the weeding-out procedure continues, with "rejects" ending up as "bastard-sized" drives (ie 1.5TB--damaged head/surface) or, in the almost-worst-case (some of you guys aren't gonna like this ...) external drives. [The total FUBARs get sh*t-canned--stripped down for the good pieces.]

I got my pair in today. Nowhere on them do they mention rpm either, but a member in another forum posted that the drive reports itself as 5,900 RPM in HDtune and Crystal DiskInfo. I hope they are green. Can't wait to install them, will not be this week though, prolly next month.

UhClem, I wouldn't think the fubar's would end up external for the simple fact they have to take more abuse than the internals, but what do I know.

I got my pair in today. Nowhere on them do they mention rpm either, but a member in another forum posted that the drive reports itself as 5,900 RPM in HDtune and Crystal DiskInfo. I hope they are green. Can't wait to install them, will not be this week though, prolly next month.

UhClem, I wouldn't think the fubar's would end up external for the simple fact they have to take more abuse than the internals, but what do I know.

They may have to take more abuse but I'll bet the expected USE is less.  They get disconnected and therefor are not powered up as much.

... UhClem, I wouldn't think the fubar's would end up external for the simple fact they have to take more abuse than the internals, but what do I know.

They may have to take more abuse but I'll bet the expected USE is less.  They get disconnected and therefor are not powered up as much.

They have less warranty--and they have no performance specifications to meet. A drive can be inferior for quantitative reasons as well as qualitative reasons.