unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

joe, where is the syslog code for unmenu... i see some of it but not the top part that does the checkboxes/loading+filter segment

im copying some data to the unraid box.. so its painfully slow to start hunting for code.. looking for where the javascript stuff like this is at:

function changeBox(cbox)

joe, where is the syslog code for unmenu... i see some of it but not the top part that does the checkboxes/loading+filter segment

im copying some data to the unraid box.. so its painfully slow to start hunting for code.. looking for where the javascript stuff like this is at:

function changeBox(cbox)

Actually, there is built-in code for the syslog in unmenu,awk, but it does no color-coding, but it is overridden by a plugin that bjp999 wrote

To find the function, all I did was this:

root@Tower2:/boot/unmenu# grep "function changeBox" *

UtilityShell.html:<!--1-->      function changeBox(cbox) {

myMainConfigView.html:<!--1-->  function changeBox(cbox) {

It appears as if the function is defined in two places, UtilityShell.html and myMainConfigView.html. (and it seems it just toggles the "checked" state)

The actual syslog fieldset for the bottom of the main screen is rendered from

17-unmenu-syslog.awk

and for the "Syslog" menu choice (the once with the checkboxes):

16-unmenu-syslog.awk

alright, working on some other minor tweaks.. mymenu is a bit of a pain to how some of the code is written.. lots of stuff duplicated... lots of stuff commented out.. things somewhat broken into routines but then attach stuff onto it.. im sure there is a reason some of this is done..but it does not lend itself to be updated very easily. :(

alright, working on some other minor tweaks.. mymenu is a bit of a pain to how some of the code is written.. lots of stuff duplicated... lots of stuff commented out.. things somewhat broken into routines but then attach stuff onto it.. im sure there is a reason some of this is done..but it does not lend itself to be updated very easily. :(

I know, bjp999 definitely has a different style of coding than me.  In some ways, more structured, but much harder to follow.

(I know mine is not perfect, and I too have some functions that are unused, and lines of code commented out,  but I do have a decent ratio of code to comments  8))

Joe L.

Okay, I'm having some minor issues that only started after upgrading UnMenu to v1.6

Not sure if they're related or not, but I'm always skeptical of "coincidences"

The Web GUI is no longer reliably responding -- it will "respond" ("Web site found - waiting for reply" message in IE), but never display.    But UnMenu responds just fine ... although it will also hang if you click on "UnRAID Main" (but you can click on another option and it will switch to that just fine).

UnRAID ver is RC12a ... no add-ons except UnMenu with CleanPowerDown and APC UPS packages

Any ideas?

A related question:  Can the array be "cleanly" shutdown from UnMenu?    I've noted there are two options that may do this, but don't know if they need to be done sequentially;  if they don't do it at all; or what.    Under Array Management there's a "Stop Array" choice.    And under User Scripts there's a "Power Down" choice.    Can you detail exactly what these do?    Does the "Power Down" button initiate the "CleanPowerDown" package?

By the way, I also updated my v4.7 server, and it doesn't have this problem.  [The RC12a server never did either until I updated UnMenu]

By the way, if I shut the system down (power button, since I'm not sure if UnMenu can do it);  then restart it; it works fine UNTIL the next time it doesn't respond  :)

... but that's been twice now in ~ 24 hours

Not sure if it's helpful, but I've attached the latest syslogs from the flash drive (I just restarted the system and it's working fine now).    There two from tonight (424) and two from last night (423).  You probably don't need them all, but just in case I sent everything I have  :)

SysLogs424.zip

Syslogs423.zip

FWIW, I just confirmed that the Web GUI is still working fine ~ 20 minutes after the restart;  after I've accessed it;  closed the browser;  accessed the array and copied the syslog files from the flash drive to ZIP and send (last post);  then accessed UnMenu & clicked on a couple of tabs;  shut down the browser again;  and then double-clicked on my link to the Web GUI.

The same thing was true last night after I restarted it then.  But before I had to do this (after updating UnMenu to v1.6), the array hadn't been restarted since I installed RC12a, and worked perfectly the whole time.

Okay, I'm having some minor issues that only started after upgrading UnMenu to v1.6

Not sure if they're related or not, but I'm always skeptical of "coincidences"

The Web GUI is no longer reliably responding -- it will "respond" ("Web site found - waiting for reply" message in IE), but never display.    But UnMenu responds just fine ... although it will also hang if you click on "UnRAID Main" (but you can click on another option and it will switch to that just fine).

UnRAID ver is RC12a ... no add-ons except UnMenu with CleanPowerDown and APC UPS packages

Any ideas?

You are describing issues with the unRAID web-interface, not unMENU.  They have nothing to do with each other.  The unRAID link in unMENU simply opens the stock interface in a window.    sounds like you've got unRAID doing something and it is slow in responding.

A related question:  Can the array be "cleanly" shutdown from UnMenu?    I've noted there are two options that may do this, but don't know if they need to be done sequentially;  if they don't do it at all; or what.    Under Array Management there's a "Stop Array" choice.    And under User Scripts there's a "Power Down" choice.    Can you detail exactly what these do?

The "Stop Array" button in unMENU will

1. spin up all disks

2. issue a "sync" to ask the disk buffers be written to the physical disks

3. Stop "samba"

4. Kill the "shared file-system process" shfs.

5. attempt to un-mount the disks. 

5a. terminate processes with open files on the disks with a TERM signal

5b. attempt to un-mount any loop devices with mount points on the disks

5c. second try to terminate processes with a TERM signal

5d. third try.  Terminate processes with a KILL signal 

5e. un-mount the drives and remove their mount-points

6.  Issue /root/mdcmd stop command to the array.    (It will stop if all disks were un-mounted)

7. re-start samba (so you can get access to the flash drive)

Does the "Power Down" button initiate the "CleanPowerDown" package?

The "User-Script" powerdown button invokes

/sbin/powerdown

(which is the clean-powerdown script)

By the way, I also updated my v4.7 server, and it doesn't have this problem.  [The RC12a server never did either until I updated UnMenu]

I'm guessing it did...  You probably did not notice it.  unMENU does nothing to the unRAID emhttp process. 

If you like, you can kill unMENU entirely by either using the button on the user-scripts page, or by logging in and typing

killall awk

I'll bet you see no difference in the stock-web-interface.

Joe L.

By the way, it's still working fine, so perhaps it really was a coincidence. 

But r.e. "... sounds like you've got unRAID doing something and it is slow in responding. "  ==> the array is doing NOTHING.  There were no files copied to it;  there are no add-ons except UnMenu with CleanPowerDown and APC UPS (the older version, not the one that has a note about issues);  and that's it.  No cache dirs.;  no parity check in progress; etc.    It should have been completely idle -- but simply stopped responding.

And as for v4.7 having the issue ["... I'm guessing it did...  You probably did not notice it. "] =>  it does not.  It continues to respond perfectly -- current uptime = 137 days.  UnMenu was upgraded on it perhaps 20 minutes after I did it on v5RC12a.

Is there any clue in the syslogs as to why the Web GUI might have stopped responding??

BTW, I LOVE the new look of UnMENU ... and I agree it seems like this issue is purely coincidental and unrelated.  On the other hand, it's VERY strange that this never happened until the v1.6 upgrade.    In the great scheme of things, it's in the "no big deal" category -- since the array itself still works fine (Windows Explorer sees it;  I can use it; etc.); and (assuming the UnMENU "Power Down" button is a safe way to power down the array) I can remotely power off the array with UnMENU, then send a WOL to power it back up;  so there's a simple way to restore everything.    But I'm definitely not a "Linux guy", and have no idea how to interpret the syslogs, so would really appreciate it if you'd look through them and see if they give any indication as to why this happened.

Alright, redid the syslog legend a bit on the 'syslog' page specifically. The rest of the syslog legends were untouched...  ss attached.

Updated a few files and added the CSS to each of the 3 files..  to make it easier on everyone I just zipped the modified files.

UtilityShell.html

unmenu.base.lib.awk

unmenu_classic.css

unmenu_horizontal.css

unmenu_vertical.css

enjoy!

--z

unmenu5.png.fac7ba1e001dee3b4abbf21f9c57e937.png

unmenu-syslog_update.zip

I was able to update mostly everything except for one file. Can you tell me what this means or how to fix it?

Downloading myMain_local.conf

rev $Revision: 182 $ $Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)$

5a0630afc49c196a23db71a5d02bf18f != a5d02879e3d52eb0dffda20f12d0111c or 7799da8e46bf08d7a328617cb1a48442,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/myMain_local.conf not installed

I was able to update mostly everything except for one file. Can you tell me what this means or how to fix it?

5a0630afc49c196a23db71a5d02bf18f != a5d02879e3d52eb0dffda20f12d0111c or 7799da8e46bf08d7a328617cb1a48442,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/myMain_local.conf not installed

that file will only download if you dont have your own mymain config or its untouched. once youve made any changes it wont downloaded to prevent destroying your settings.

it would be nice if unmenu used git and we could just use a .gitignore file to exclude .conf files/user data.. and  just provide a 'myMain_local.conf.sample' and people would just rename that to modify.

looks like you can do something similar in svn,

http://www.math-linux.com/linux-19/tip-of-the-day/article/svn-how-to-ignore-file-or-directory-in-subversion

that file will only download if you dont have your own mymain config or its untouched. once youve made any changes it wont downloaded to prevent destroying your settings.

it would be nice if unmenu used git and we could just use a .gitignore file to exclude .conf files/user data.. and  just provide a 'myMain_local.conf.sample' and people would just rename that to modify.

looks like you can do something similar in svn,

http://www.math-linux.com/linux-19/tip-of-the-day/article/svn-how-to-ignore-file-or-directory-in-subversion

True, but I don't use 'svn" to distribute the updates.  It is all done with the unraid_install shell script.

(had to use what was minimally available on all the servers)

And... it did download (it is in /tmp/unmenu_tmp ) but just not copied over the local file.

Alright, redid the syslog legend a bit on the 'syslog' page specifically. The rest of the syslog legends were untouched...  ss attached.

Updated a few files and added the CSS to each of the 3 files..  to make it easier on everyone I just zipped the modified files.

UtilityShell.html

unmenu.base.lib.awk

unmenu_classic.css

unmenu_horizontal.css

unmenu_vertical.css

enjoy!

--z

I switched to the version with the menu vertically on the left. Just found a couple of issues:

1) The "File Browser" button reverts to the old menu (unsure if this was known)

2) As you move your mouse over the other  menu items, it will give you the hyperlink hand over the entire box. However, the hyperlink will only actually work if you click on the name and not on the rest of the box.

Btw, awsome work with unMenu in general and also this new skin!

UtilityShell.html

unmenu.base.lib.awk

unmenu_classic.css

unmenu_horizontal.css

unmenu_vertical.css

enjoy!

--z

I switched to the version with the menu vertically on the left. Just found a couple of issues:

2) As you move your mouse over the other  menu items, it will give you the hyperlink hand over the entire box. However, the hyperlink will only actually work if you click on the name and not on the rest of the box.

1) file browser and share iso both dont use the newer css.. known issue. havent looked much into it though

2) clear cache/restart unmenu to fix

UtilityShell.html

unmenu.base.lib.awk

unmenu_classic.css

unmenu_horizontal.css

unmenu_vertical.css

enjoy!

--z

1) file browser and share iso both dont use the newer css.. known issue. havent looked much into it though

2) clear cache/restart unmenu to fix

also possible that newest changes not yet downloaded/installed.  Unless downloaded in the last few days, check for updates once more and install them.

File-browser not converted.  It will continue to have old style as explained in the very first post in this thread. 

(it uses an entirely different method of rendering the header and body of the form)

Joe L.

Thanks for the reply guys. I was using firefox at the time and had updated unmenu and restarted it when I posted. I closed the window and tried again with no luck to fix point #2. I went in restarted unmenu again, no luck. I decided to try out the horizontal skin trying to see if it would suffer from the same and anywhere i clicked on the box it worked, then i flipped it back to vertical and voila, its working as it should. Unsure how that would fix it but it did.

I decided to try out the horizontal skin trying to see if it would suffer from the same and anywhere i clicked on the box it worked, then i flipped it back to vertical and voila, its working as it should. Unsure how that would fix it but it did.

The updated and downloaded files for a given orientation are not used until you specifically select them on the user-scripts page.  Until then, the prior .css file is still in use.    In other words, you had to do exactly what you did, click on the button on the user-scripts page to re-select the newer "horiz/vert/classic style" .css file after installing the newer updated versions.

Not sure if that was mentioned before, but glad you figured it out.

Joe L.

Joe, you had a chance to test out latest changes? all good?

These latest changes are now tested and uploaded to google.code.

As usual, check for and install them, then to see the new (slightly larger) labels on the syslog page you will need to re-select the style of skin on the user-scripts page and also re-start unMENU.

Joe L.