unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

Joe, you had a chance to test out latest changes? all good?

These latest changes are now tested and uploaded to google.code.

As usual, check for and install them, then to see the new (slightly larger) labels on the syslog page you will need to re-select the style of skin on the user-scripts page and also re-start unMENU.

Joe L.

thanks Joe

Joe, I just installed the simplefeatures plugin just so i can get the prettier gui. i didn't even know this was out. this is all i needed :)

looks great! thanks

You are welcome.

Although the basic framework and function is mostly mine, many have contributed over the years to unMENU. 

It is interesting in that the original thread that inspired unMENU's creation was entitled:Idea's for Revamping the Initial Unraid Page and here we are, revamping the way unMENU looks.

I created unMENU as a way to explore how unRAID could be improved.  It was designed to be easy to extend.  It evolved into what you now see, with many of the features and functions originally requested in that original thread.  I did not have the experience in .css skinning to do what mvdzwaan and zoggy have now done.  Of course, since unMENU was originally created 5 years ago, I'm not sure they had the .css experience at that time either  ;).

All the credit for the newly updated appearance and .css skins belongs to mvdzwaan and zoggy.  They followed in the footsteps of speeding_ant's SimpleFeatures skin, made possible in unRAID 5.0.  What you now see is the collective work of many.  I have a huge advantage in that unMENU will work on any version of unRAID.  I love the ability to choose either a horizontal or vertical menu.  I can't believe it was as easy to retrofit as it was.  (I guess I had decent structure for mvdzwaan  to work in)

Joe L.

... I have a huge advantage in that unMENU will work on any version of unRAID. 

Joe L.

Definitely agree that's a MAJOR advantage.  My main server is still happily (and reliably) running on v4.7;  and my newest one is on v5RC12a ... and both have the same slick UnMenu features with the nifty new look.

All I use UnMenu for the is CleanPowerDown and APC packages -- but I do run occasional SMART tests with the disk tools.    I've tried a couple times to get an e-mail notification setup, but have never been successful -- I installed SSMTP and the UnRAID-Status-EMail packages, but for some reason never seemed to get it working.    I suppose I just didn't get SSMTP configured right ... is there a SIMPLE tutorial on that in one of the forum threads?

Joe,

I've attached a zip file with some modifications I've made to unMenu:

29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk

Extensive rewrite

Remove need for function type

Allow descriptions for each command

Allow a precheck command for each command

Added cpufreq and dmidecode calls to cpu info

Added dmidecode calls to memory info

Added eth1-9 to ethernet info if the interface exists (thanks to lewcass)

Added /proc/version, Slackware version, and Unraid version to Uptime

Added original /usr/bin/lsof /dev/md* to Open Files

Added Samba Status with smbstatus, conf files, and testparm -sv

Formated df output on File System Space

990-unmenu-wget.awk

Fix pre tags so all "shell" output is formatted

drivedb.lib.awk

Allow 194 airflow_temperature_cel to be used for Temp

Redirect fdisk errors to /dev/null

myMainConfigDrive.html

Increase column widths to allow longer descriptions

unmenu.awk

Display time since and speed of last parity check using syslog

Fix disk label and id directory listings for unraid 5.0

Correct GetDiskFileSystem to retreive filesytem on unraid 5.0

Make GetArrayStatus same for unmenu.awk and unmenu.base.lib.awk

unmenu.base.lib.awk

Fix disk label and id directory listings for unraid 5.0

Correct GetDiskFileSystem to retreive filesytem on unraid 5.0

Make GetArrayStatus same for unmenu.awk and unmenu.base.lib.awk

EDIT: zip file updated for unmenu version as of April 11, 2014.

cassiusdrow-unmenu-1.6-mods.zip

looking at cassiusdrow's changes,

on sysinfo's cpuinfo/meminfo: looks like his additions requires extra stuff to be installed thats not included.. is there a package for these?

CPU Freq Info not available.  The command 'cpufreq-info' was not found on your system.  You may need to install it.

DMI not available.  The command 'dmidecode' was not found on your system.  You may need to install it.

on uptime: it looks like 'Uname' is missing from the  (from cat /proc/version) line

Uname (from uname -a)

Linux husky 3.4.36-unRAID #1 SMP Wed Mar 20 12:54:40 PDT 2013 i686 Intel® Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

(from cat /proc/version)

Linux version 3.4.36-unRAID (root@Develop) (gcc version 4.4.4 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Mar 20 12:54:40 PDT 2013

the samba status is a nice addition!

about file system space:

can we change the command used from

df -k -T

to

df -kh -T

that way we get human readable output?

yes i did restart unmenu after copying your changes over.. but i still dont see anything different in the array status with regards to your change 'Display time since and speed of last parity check using syslog'

I see:

STARTED, 10 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:   Last parity check 2 days ago with no sync errors.    

on sysinfo's cpuinfo/meminfo: looks like his additions requires extra stuff to be installed thats not included.. is there a package for these?

CPU Freq Info not available.  The command 'cpufreq-info' was not found on your system.  You may need to install it.

DMI not available.  The command 'dmidecode' was not found on your system.  You may need to install it.

There is a dmidecode package already in unmenu.  I've attached my cpufreq package.

on uptime: it looks like 'Uname' is missing from the  (from cat /proc/version) line

Uname (from uname -a)

Linux husky 3.4.36-unRAID #1 SMP Wed Mar 20 12:54:40 PDT 2013 i686 Intel® Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

(from cat /proc/version)

Linux version 3.4.36-unRAID (root@Develop) (gcc version 4.4.4 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Mar 20 12:54:40 PDT 2013

It simply executes 'cat /proc/version' and shows the output.  If uname is not there it's an unraid issue.

Thanks.  I needed it to debug some samba issues.

about file system space:

df -k -T

to

df -kh -T

My changed was to show the full numbers while maintaining the columns.  I was trying to add commas but it became a little more complex that I thought it was worth.

yes i did restart unmenu after copying your changes over.. but i still dont see anything different in the array status with regards to your change 'Display time since and speed of last parity check using syslog'

I see:

STARTED, 10 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:   Last parity check 2 days ago with no sync errors.    

It will only show this information if the last parity check data is in the syslog.  If you have rebooted or the syslog has been switched since the last parity check the extra info won't be there.  Mine currently looks like this:

STARTED, 13 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:   Last parity check 4 days ago with no sync errors.  Duration: 11:33:28.   Avg Speed: 68.77MB/sec.

cpufrequtils-unmenu-package.conf

Try this to add commas to numbers:

echo 123456789 | sed ':a;s/\B[0-9]\{3\}\>/,&/;ta'

It is an immediately intuitive (and very simple) "sed" script.

Kinda hard to do in a one-line on every number in the output of df.  It's actually doing this:

df -k -T | awk '{printf( \"%-12s %-12s %20s %20s %20s %4s %s\\n \", $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7)}'

I tried doing this:

df -k -T | awk '{printf( \"%-12s %-12s %'\\''20d %'\\''20d %'\\''20d %4s %s\\n \", $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7)}'

But it wrecked the header text.  I could add an check for the header, but it didn't seem that important to me.

EDIT: attachment removed - see this post.

There is a dmidecode package already in unmenu.  I've attached my cpufreq package.

Uname (from uname -a)

(from cat /proc/version)

It simply executes 'cat /proc/version' and shows the output.  If uname is not there it's an unraid issue.

Thanks.  I needed it to debug some samba issues.

about file system space:

df -k -T

to

df -kh -T

My changed was to show the full numbers while maintaining the columns.  I was trying to add commas but it became a little more complex that I thought it was worth.

I see:

It will only show this information if the last parity check data is in the syslog.  If you have rebooted or the syslog has been switched since the last parity check the extra info won't be there.  Mine currently looks like this:

STARTED, 13 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:   Last parity check 4 days ago with no sync errors.  Duration: 11:33:28.   Avg Speed: 68.77MB/sec.

I'll check these changes out in the next day or so.  Thanks so much for contributing.

Joe L.

you must kill and re-start unMENU.  Did you take that step?

Since you cannot get to the user-scripts page, you can type:

killall awk

cd /boot/unmenu

./uu

If it still does not work, what happens when you type:

cd /boot/unmenu

50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi

50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi

has no executable permission, should I make it executable?

Ok.

Making it executable fixed it. Thank you.

You must have an unusual install, since if installed on the flash drive in a fat file-system, the scripts are typically executable. 
  • 2 weeks later...

447 days wow

:) Good battery backup and linux based software. It's used every day and it "just works".

Just noticed that 447 !!  Mine WAS at 395 until we had a long power-outage last December.  Now at 164 & counting.    Do you put your system into S3 sleep state?    ... or do you simply have such reliable utility power that you never get extended outages?

Just noticed that 447 !!  Mine WAS at 395 until we had a long power-outage last December.  Now at 164 & counting.    Do you put your system into S3 sleep state?    ... or do you simply have such reliable utility power that you never get extended outages?

It never sleeps, just spins down the drives. I have a Powerware online 2kVA battery backup that is good for more than 45 minutes, so the power has to be down a good while, and since this is the server at my business in a commercial area, the power company has incentive to keep things running. I've never been a fan of sleeping PCs, seems to create more problems than it solves.

It never sleeps, just spins down the drives. I have a Powerware online 2kVA battery backup that is good for more than 45 minutes, so the power has to be down a good while, and since this is the server at my business in a commercial area, the power company has incentive to keep things running. I've never been a fan of sleeping PCs, seems to create more problems than it solves.

2KVA UPS definitely qualifies as "Good battery backup"  :) :)

Mine's 900VA, and can actually keep the system running on standby well over 30 minutes, but I have it set to power down after 10 minutes, and RARELY hit that threshold.  Interestingly, we had two of those 10+ minute outages almost back-to-back (3 days apart) last December; but haven't had any since (knock on wood).

just got home from a trip, logged in and noticed that the pre-cleared drive that I've left installed but not formatted is showing up twice in unmenu.. let me know what i can provide to help figure out where this dupe entry is coming from.. unless that's the partition  and i just never noticed that before? (if so, maybe we should represent that better on that page)

unmenu8.png.2b615e71b0af76d579e4daef755d54f3.png

just got home from a trip, logged in and noticed that the pre-cleared drive that I've left installed but not formatted is showing up twice in unmenu.. let me know what i can provide to help figure out where this dupe entry is coming from.. unless that's the partition  and i just never noticed that before? (if so, maybe we should represent that better on that page)

That section of the page is labeled "Drive Partitions", yes, once pre-cleared, the disk has the first partition defined. (It is not yet formatted though)  What you are seeing are the disk itself and the device for the first partition.    It is not an error, nor a "dupe"  You are seeing /dev/sdl (the raw disk) and /dev/sdl1 (the first partition)