unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

Is unmenu ok with 64?

I installed it on my test/dev system running unRAID 6.0b2 and it worked fine. I also recall Joe L. replying that as a script it doesn't call any procedures that are strickly 32-bit (well, something to that effect).

However, the packages you can install from unMenu will not work.

Joe L., if you are watching this thread, I have a suggestion. Could you possibly implement something in the package page that would detect if it was on x64 and not show any packages unless a field in the package .conf file was filled out correctly with something to denote x64 compatibility?

At least that way people would have to try harder to blow up their systems with incompatible packages.

Hello...I tried this out and it's not for me. I was wondering how you uninstall this safely.

delete the /boot/unmenu directory:

rm -rf /boot/unmenu

then, edit your config/go file to remove the two lines at the end that look like this(if there):

/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

then reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Is unmenu ok with 64?

I installed it on my test/dev system running unRAID 6.0b2 and it worked fine. I also recall Joe L. replying that as a script it doesn't call any procedures that are strickly 32-bit (well, something to that effect).

However, the packages you can install from unMenu will not work.

Are any packages usable under UnRAID 6/64-bit?  Or are we at the mercy of the package devs to update them?  I'm concerned with the APC battery backup package...

Are any packages usable under UnRAID 6/64-bit?  Or are we at the mercy of the package devs to update them?  I'm concerned with the APC battery backup package...

Search for the 64bit plugin. Not clear if all the bugs are worked out.

I get a TON of hits for "64 bit plugin" so I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for as I'm not versed at all with the plugin architecture/offerings of UnRAID or unMENU.

I did find a thread regarding the APCUPSD plugin being adapted for 64bit UnRAID v6 (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31496.msg285638#msg285638): is this what you are referring to specific to my concern with APC battery backup?  Or is there a general plugin "package" assembled for 64-bit v6?

Under unRAID v4/5, unMENU's package manager provided direct management of the most popular "plugins" (if that's the correct terminology for the "packages" managed by unMENU) that downloads user-selected packages, including the APC battery backup management package, and this is why I never bothered to understand further the package/plug-in architecture of unRAID/unMENU as all the functionality I needed was provided through unMENU and these are the add-ons that I was concerned with regarding unRAID v6...

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the refresh of unmenu Joe.

I have recently started playing with UnRaid v6 and one of the packages I always used on v5 (in conjunction with preclear) was SCREEN. I just tried running it on the UnRaid V6 box and it doesnt seem to work - I get a "CANNOT EXECUTE BINARY FILE" error which i understand is related to running a non 64bit executable.

So my question is, how can i get screen working on Unraid 6?

thanks

thanks for the refresh of unmenu Joe.

I have recently started playing with UnRaid v6 and one of the packages I always used on v5 (in conjunction with preclear) was SCREEN. I just tried running it on the UnRaid V6 box and it doesnt seem to work - I get a "CANNOT EXECUTE BINARY FILE" error which i understand is related to running a non 64bit executable.

So my question is, how can i get screen working on Unraid 6?

thanks

find and install a 64bit version.  8)

Haha and that was exactly what I tried doing before my post. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything and I'm guessing it's not something you have either? If you happen to have it then I would really appreciate the source to allow me to download it. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Haha and that was exactly what I tried doing before my post. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything and I'm guessing it's not something you have either? If you happen to have it then I would really appreciate the source to allow me to download it. Cheers

I would have thought it was just a case of grabbing the right versions of packages from http://packages.slackware.com/

I would have thought it was just a case of grabbing the right versions of packages from http://packages.slackware.com/

thanks! that's exactly the info I needed (Sorry i am a  novice with *nix so finding my way around is painfully slow.) Your link gave me the info i needed....

I got Screen working on unraid V6 using the following files:

http://packages.slackware.com/?r=slackware64-current&p=screen-4.0.3-x86_64-4.txz

http://search.slackware.eu/cgi-bin/package.cgi/download/slackware64-14.0/slackware64/a/utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1.txz

the second package was needed as i think Screen has a dependency on it.

anyway, i copied to my flash drive and then just ran the following from the command line:

installpkg screen-4.0.3-x86_64-4.txz

installpkg utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1.txz

happy days :)

(if anything above is like a total no no then happy for someone to correct me and ill accept the slap on the wrists!)

cheers

I got Screen working on unraid V6 using the following files:

http://packages.slackware.com/?r=slackware64-current&p=screen-4.0.3-x86_64-4.txz

http://search.slackware.eu/cgi-bin/package.cgi/download/slackware64-14.0/slackware64/a/utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1.txz

the second package was needed as i think Screen has a dependency on it.

anyway, i copied to my flash drive and then just ran the following from the command line:

installpkg screen-4.0.3-x86_64-4.txz

installpkg utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1.txz

happy days :)

(if anything above is like a total no no then happy for someone to correct me and ill accept the slap on the wrists!)

cheers

This is exactly right. Also, if you put those packages in /boot/extra, unRAID will installpkg them for you when it boots.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe

Sorry to bother but is there a way to fix ds_store cleanup to work in Unraid 6? I thought it was just a script but it won't install on my test box and it just says not enough room on device " : line 87: echo: write error: no space left on device"

If I just knew the script I could try to rebuild it but I don't know if it uses some other program out side of just a script?

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Thornwood

Hi Joe

Sorry to bother but is there a way to fix ds_store cleanup to work in Unraid 6? I thought it was just a script but it won't install on my test box and it just says not enough room on device " : line 87: echo: write error: no space left on device"

If I just knew the script I could try to rebuild it but I don't know if it uses some other program out side of just a script?

It is just a shell script, so if you have disk full, or have a disk marked as read-only, you'll need to fix that  first.

Is it possible you've used up all the free space in the / file system?

The script itself is contained in the affiliated .conf file in

/boot/packages/ds_store_cleanup-unmenu-package.conf

you can examine it there.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

After much investigation I found that the log file location was what was killing the script.

/var/log seems to be read only on 64bit ?? I really don't know why?

so I moded the script to save in the flash drive under /boot/logs and now it works.

thank you

Thornwood

I did not know about /var/log on the 64bit version, but the directory you chose will not work properly in that the file is supposed to go away when you reboot.  Use /tmp instead of /boot/log and it will work as intended.

Completely missed this thread :(

I created the new skins in 2012 with the intention to not alter the awk files (eventually I did change a couple, but only minor). As I did send the files to Joe svn but at that time they were not integrated, I never looked at unmenu updates again, so as not to overwrite my personal skin files :)

So sorry for not supporting them, and big thanks to Zoggy for doing "my" work.

Now to finally upgrade my 2 unraid boxes to unmenu 1.6 as well...