unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

:D Thanks guys. As you said Joe - looking at the unMENU files , after getting enough bash scripting knowledge to be dangerous, I discovered that unMENU has excellent comments and is explicitly designed to allow anyone to add all sorts of top level tabs.

Excellent stuff!!

Took me a couple of minutes to copy / edit 50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi in the /boot/unmenu folder and then point my edited 50-unmenu-paul_scripts.cgi to point to a different ScriptDirectory.

thanx - paul

paul.jpg.fd576cd3e6afb346b3dc7e73f37548d4.jpg

:D Thanks guys. As you said Joe - looking at the unMENU files , after getting enough bash scripting knowledge to be dangerous, I discovered that unMENU has excellent comments and is explicitly designed to allow anyone to add all sorts of top level tabs.

Excellent stuff!!

Took me a couple of minutes to copy / edit 50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi in the /boot/unmenu folder and then point my edited 50-unmenu-paul_scripts.cgi to point to a different ScriptDirectory.

thanx - paul

You are welcome.

Yes, it is VERY extensible.  I wanted to make it easy for non-developers to add "tabs" of their own and have unMENU automatically include them.  (I also comment my code far more than most developers.  It helps me to figure out what I'm doing years later.  ;))

Joe L.

Yesterday I installed a fresh version of 5.0.6.  The basic system works very well.  I have been trying to improve the interface by adding some of the available addons and have run into some problems.  I worked with Dynamix for the last 24 hours and finally gave up.  I could not get everything to work properly and had various GUI freezing issues.

I have now loaded unMENU 1.6 and so far so good. 

Problem 1: I am now looking into putting my machine into S3 sleep and have run into my first problem.  The user scripts page shows that /proc/acpi/sleep directory does not exist.  I have tried the two available commands to set the system to sleep, but neither work. Previously, when I had 5.0beta14 loaded, S3 did work.

Am I forgetting to install something?

Problem 2: I have run the unMENU update script and all but three of the updates install just fine.  What is the problem here?

Downloading myMain_local.conf

rev $Revision: 182 $ $Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)$

5a0630afc49c196a23db71a5d02bf18f != a5d02879e3d52eb0dffda20f12d0111c or 7799da8e46bf08d7a328617cb1a48442,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/myMain_local.conf not installed

Downloading powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf

rev $Revision: 50 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 14:21:51 -0400 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $

d0b27d3a4d9a936a384ec34bb24f85e6 != d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e or d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf not installed

Downloading unraid-swapfile-unmenu-package.conf

rev $Revision: 68 $ $Date: 2010-04-20 21:01:55 -0400 (Tue, 20 Apr 2010) $

9c1682566014551ded33dc8a79aff891 != 8c17090fc9a1f215d3e86731f1131f73 or 4e08b8911d69f27f8d6197e95d6985c7,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/unraid-swapfile-unmenu-package.conf not installed

Thank you in advance for all the help....relative noob.....

Yesterday I installed a fresh version of 5.0.6.  The basic system works very well.  I have been trying to improve the interface by adding some of the available addons and have run into some problems.  I worked with Dynamix for the last 24 hours and finally gave up.  I could not get everything to work properly and had various GUI freezing issues.

I have now loaded unMENU 1.6 and so far so good. 

Problem 1: I am now looking into putting my machine into S3 sleep and have run into my first problem.  The user scripts page shows that /proc/acpi/sleep directory does not exist.  I have tried the two available commands to set the system to sleep, but neither work. Previously, when I had 5.0beta14 loaded, S3 did work.

Am I forgetting to install something?

Problem 2: I have run the unMENU update script and all but three of the updates install just fine.  What is the problem here?

Downloading myMain_local.conf

rev $Revision: 182 $ $Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)$

5a0630afc49c196a23db71a5d02bf18f != a5d02879e3d52eb0dffda20f12d0111c or 7799da8e46bf08d7a328617cb1a48442,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/myMain_local.conf not installed

Apparently, you've made local changes, therefore it is up to you to migrate any changes over the stock myMain_local.conf file... if desired.

(Odds are you do NOT want the stock file, so odds are you do not want it to overwrite your copy)

Downloading powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf

rev $Revision: 50 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 14:21:51 -0400 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $

d0b27d3a4d9a936a384ec34bb24f85e6 != d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e or d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/powerdown-1.02_ctlaltdel-unmenu-package.conf not installed

Does the downloaded file exist? have you looked at it in the /tmp directory? does it say somethng like "file-does-not-exist" ? or something else? Basically, you need to look at the file downloaded to see what it says.  (it is probably an error message and not the expected file)

Downloading unraid-swapfile-unmenu-package.conf

rev $Revision: 68 $ $Date: 2010-04-20 21:01:55 -0400 (Tue, 20 Apr 2010) $

9c1682566014551ded33dc8a79aff891 != 8c17090fc9a1f215d3e86731f1131f73 or 4e08b8911d69f27f8d6197e95d6985c7,  /tmp/unmenu_tmp/unraid-swapfile-unmenu-package.conf not installed

Again, you probably made some local change, as the swapfile package is not downloaded from a 3rd party site, but included as part of the content of the .conf file.  No need for you to do anything.

Thank you in advance for all the help....relative noob.....

You are welcome.

As far as S3 sleep, various versions of unRAID have various versions of the Linux kernel...  They have various names for the parameters used to control the S3 state.  They have changed over the years.  As you said, /proc/acpi/sleep directory does not exist in your kernel.  Odds are your new kernel does not respond with your motherboard the same as the old. (Either different /proc parameters are now used, OR that capability is not detected with your newer kernel, so they are not created. 

(and I have no idea which, as S3 sleep has never worked on my hardware... ever.)  The buttons on the user-script page where simply what worked on older kernels for some others on the forum. 

Google is your friend... Once you figure out the newer command needed  to put your hardware into S3 sleep, you can share your new S3 sleep commands with others. here.

Joe L.

Joe,

Thank you for your quick response. I do recall that getting S3 to work before was a long and tedious process.  I'm not sure it is worth spending any more time on the issue.  I have read many of the posts with folks encountering problems when trying to get S3 to work properly. Too many hardware and software combinations to make it work universally I presume.

I will look into the other issues tomorrow when I get a chance.

BTW, a general question.  Is unMENU designed as a 'supplemental' menu system to the basic GUI?  That is, as opposed to Dynamix which 'replaces' the basic GUI.  Just trying to understand the goal of using unMENU.  Clearly it provides a wealth of information that get basic GUI does not.

I guess that this is a question for Joe:

What's the easiest way to make a plug-in page auto refresh? I looked at unmenu.awk and saw the MENU[2] test for main page refresh. Should I add a similar check for my page or is there a better way to do this?

cheers - paul

Try adding

#ADD_ON_REFRESH=10

to the top of your plug-in page.  The "10" is the number of seconds between refresh.

That should (if I remember correctly) set the "refresh" in the HTML header for you based on these lines in unmenu.awk (around line 420)

if( array_state == "STARTED") {

plug_in_refresh_interval = CONFIG["pi-" i "ADD_ON_REFRESH"] ? CONFIG["pi-" i "ADD_ON_REFRESH"] : 0

} else {

plug_in_refresh_interval = 0

}

# We supply a HTTP header before the first chunk

# note, we handle everything here as text/html.

http_headers = GetHTTP_Header("text/html", plug_in_refresh_interval, add_on_url )

Joe,

BTW, a general question.  Is unMENU designed as a 'supplemental' menu system to the basic GUI?

Exactly.    It was originally conceived as a way to explore improvements that could be made to the stock GIU.  It is not designed to replace the stock GUI.  It is a supplement to any other GUI.

Just trying to understand the goal of using unMENU.  Clearly it provides a wealth of information that the basic GUI does not.

It still provides more than even the latest dynamix.  It was designed to be easily extensible.  In fact, the unRAID plugin system is loosly based on what I originally designed for unMENU... it just uses .xml for its package manager and unMENU uses straight text.

See this thread for the original history:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2110.0

UnMenu has, for years, been the ONE "indispensable" add-on for UnRAID.    Lots of others have come-and-gone, but none have (IMHO) been as rock-solid or as absolutely necessary as UnMenu and the additional capabilities it supports.    We all owe Joe a great big THANK YOU for not only creating it; but for ensuring it's evolved to support all of the newer versions of UnRAID.

Try adding

#ADD_ON_REFRESH=10

to the top of your plug-in page.  The "10" is the number of seconds between refresh.

Thanks Joe - unfortunately this didn't seem to work. As a test I modified the standard User Scripts plugin as you suggested

#ADD_ON_MENU User Scripts

#ADD_ON_URL user_scripts

#ADD_ON_REFRESH=10

#ADD_ON_VERSION.......

Restarted unMENU but the page never auto-refreshed. Tried this in Chrome & Firefox same results. Main auto-refreshes fine in both browsers. I'll continue to investigate.

cheers paul

Try adding

#ADD_ON_REFRESH=10

Thanks Joe - unfortunately this didn't seem to work. As a test I modified the standard User Scripts plugin as you suggested

#ADD_ON_MENU User Scripts

#ADD_ON_URL user_scripts

#ADD_ON_REFRESH=10

#ADD_ON_VERSION.......

Restarted unMENU but the page never auto-refreshed. Tried this in Chrome & Firefox same results. Main auto-refreshes fine in both browsers. I'll continue to investigate.

cheers paul

Try adding:

#ADD_ON_HTTP_HEADER=YES

I am having issues with mysql not stopping when trying to do a reboot.  I have put this in to the user scripts:

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Stop MySQL

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR This will stop MySQLso your array can be stopped cleanly

#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST test -x /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_mysqld && echo "Stop MySQL"

echo "<pre>"

killall mysqld

but when I click on the button in unmenu it doesn't seem to stop mysql.  Just wondering if I am missing something.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Every one and Happy 2015!!

I have posted this in another section, but figured this maybe the appropriate forum for my concern

Just performed the preclear of all the drives I plan to use and then when I went to the home screen I got duplicated hard drives in the listing

see below the drives with the 1 on all drives, why is this, and I have yet to build or assign drives to any array

Here is the weird display in unmenu with duplicated drives?

unmenumain_zps1ba49511.png

What are peoples thoughts?

they are not duplicated.

What you are seeing is an entry for the entire drive, and a second entry for the first (and only) partition on the disk.

Those second entries have the trailing "1" in their names.

The file system will eventually live on the first partition.

they are not duplicated.

What you are seeing is an entry for the entire drive, and a second entry for the first (and only) partition on the disk.

Hey There!

OK, so this is normal behaviour for the display and the second entry disappear once the live partition moves off to the 1st - It just appeared and so got concerned, but thanks for the clarification, so I am good to go then and build this array up?

Posted up my preclear result in the other thread and more importantly the 500G drive that will be used as a cache drive, seems good to go.

Back to unmenu - is it real time display/updates - cause it seems I need to refresh it from time to time

Apology for the 1000 questions, I'm totally green to all this  :o

Cheers

Kosti

they are not duplicated.

Hey There!

OK, so this is normal behaviour for the display and the second entry disappear once the live partition moves off to the 1st - It just appeared and so got concerned, but thanks for the clarification, so I am good to go then and build this array up?

No, there will always be multiple entries in the linux /dev directory once a disk has been partitioned.  It is expected and normal.

unRAID uses /dev/mdX devices.  These are a layer on top of the /dev/sdX1 partitions.    Basically, once you assign a disk to a unRAID slot, you'll never interact with the /dev/sdX1 partition, but you'll access it through the /dev/mdX partition.

Back to unmenu - is it real time display/updates - cause it seems I need to refresh it from time to time

If the array is started, the home page of unMENU will periodically refresh itself.  It will not refresh if the array is stopped.

Apology for the 1000 questions, I'm totally green to all this  :o

Cheers

Kosti

You are welcome. 

Please refrain from asking the same question in multiple forums/threads. It is considered to be bad style.  (You asked about the partitions in several I've seen, and probably others I've not, and it makes it difficult to respond.)

Joe L.

Thank you again Joe L. Indeed, considered as spam right  :-X  I just got worried so wasn't sure where to post em Now I know  ;)

I think I understand this now as they indicate the layers of the partitions, so sdX is the root and sd1 is the first layer in the partition -  ;)

Now to try and wrap my head around SHARES.. :-[

Cheers

Kosti

• 1 month later...

Dear Joe L.

I have just noticed that unMENU does not report SMART status and the temperatures of the drives connected to DELL PERC H310 (crossflashed to LSI in IT mode).

In the same time the SMART options and temperatures are perfectly visible via the standard web interface.

Please see the screenshots attached.

jhtW3t9.png

qJLt0TA.png

aZRePns.png

If syslog is needed - will be provided.

You need to set the drive attribute called "smartopt" to the value "-A". This will change the parameters to unmneu/myMain uses to call the smartctl command and likely will resolve your issue.

Click on the "ID" column hyperlink. The drive attributes page should appear. Under the "Other Notes" attribute there should be several blank rows. Enter the value "smartopt" (no quotes) in the box on the left, and "-A" (no quotes) into the box on the right on the first blank row.

Click save.

Go back and refresh the myMain screen.

If it fixed it for that drive, do the same for each of the others.

another bug in the mover logger, it replaces 'and' with $stuff$ when its part of the folder:

Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: ./TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/Season 16/Law.and.Order.Special.Victims.Unit.S16E14.Intimidation.Game.HD.TV-DIMENSION.mkv
Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: .d..t...... ./
Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/
Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/TV/
Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/
Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/Season 16/
Feb 12 08:31:53 husky logger: >f+++++++++ TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/Season 16/Law.and.Order.Special.Victims.Unit.S16E14.Intimidation.Game.HD.TV-DIMENSION.mkv
Feb 12 08:32:28 husky logger: ./TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/Season 16
Feb 12 08:32:28 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/Season 16/
Feb 12 08:32:28 husky logger: ./TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit
Feb 12 08:32:28 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/TV/Law $stuff$ Order Special Victims Unit/
Feb 12 08:32:28 husky logger: .d..t...... TV/TV/

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean in unmenu when its says installed but not downloaded?  Does that mean unraid has it and unmenu is just seeing it?

For example.

cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library accidentally left out of unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5beta5
Installed, Not Downloaded
Description:	"C++" support libraries used by the smartctl program. 
Unless you are running a version of unRAID where this /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 library was accidentally omitted, there is no need to install this library. It is only needed if you are running unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5-beta5
This package will NOT install itself if /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 already exists on your server