unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks...

Already asked elsewhere with no reply... I think this could be the right topic...  :P

On unRAID6, if I go with XFS file system for data disks, can I still use "File system check" on "Disk management" page?

If not (as I think...), what is exact procedure to perform this task on XFS?

Please answer on it as you should explain to a 5 years old child...  ;D

Hi folks...

Already asked elsewhere with no reply... I think this could be the right topic...  :P

On unRAID6, if I go with XFS file system for data disks, can I still use "File system check" on "Disk management" page?

If not (as I think...), what is exact procedure to perform this task on XFS?

Please answer on it as you should explain to a 5 years old child...  ;D

If you stop the array, then start the array in Maintenance mode (there's a checkbox for this), then click the drive in question, and on the page that appears there will be an option to run a file system check.  Note that you're doing all this through the webUI for unRaid, not unMenu

If you stop the array, then start the array in Maintenance mode (there's a checkbox for this), then click the drive in question, and on the page that appears there will be an option to run a file system check.  Note that you're doing all this through the webUI for unRaid, not unMenu

Great! No CLI needed at all...?!  :o

Perhaps already asked but... unMENU is surely the best addon for an unRAID system (a "must have" I think...), BUT... just because of its powerful - read: dangerous! - commands, isn't there any way to password lock it as the "standard" WebGUI?  ???

I don't think that using port 8080 can be considered a security measure at all...  ::)

Perhaps already asked but... unMENU is surely the best addon for an unRAID system (a "must have" I think...), BUT... just because of its powerful - read: dangerous! - commands, isn't there any way to password lock it as the "standard" WebGUI?  ???

I don't think that using port 8080 can be considered a security measure at all...  ::)

No built in security at all. Unraid was designed from the beginning as an easy to access NAS device, with no hardening at all. Now that people are adding all sorts of other functionality, security hasn't caught up.

With respect to this particular add on, it's easy enough to telnet in and run it when you need it, and shut it down when you are done.

In general, unraid in its current form should not have any ports forwarded to it, even the default webgui, as it has not been security tested or hardened at all. It's bad enough that it is exposed on the local lan, if you open ports to it you are asking to be hacked.

If you need remote access to the server, set up a private VPN connection into your network, and access it through that, or use teamviewer or some other secure remote login to a different machine on the local network and connect that way.

Hopefully this will change soon, but right now that's the way it is.

It would be nice to be able to specify the port unMenu uses. :) With the recent flood of dockers, many of them vying for the same port 8080, some flexibility would be useful.

Edit unmenu.conf in the Config View/Edit page and change Myport - 90 to whatever you want.

Missed that thanks :)

Unfortunately the custom setting does not survive an update.

It would be nice to be able to specify the port unMenu uses. :) With the recent flood of dockers, many of them vying for the same port 8080, some flexibility would be useful.

Edit unmenu.conf in the Config View/Edit page and change Myport - 90 to whatever you want.

Much wisdom to be had here.

unmenu.conf will be distributed and will have new values added over time and subsequent releases. Although you can edit it to change a value you are much better off making a copy of the file named unmenu_local.conf. Then edit unmenu_local.conf to change the variable and it will be used instead of the one in unmenu.conf.

Much wisdom to be had here.

unmenu.conf will be distributed and will have new values added over time and subsequent releases. Although you can edit it to change a value you are much better off making a copy of the file named unmenu_local.conf. Then edit unmenu_local.conf to change the variable and it will be used instead of the one in unmenu.conf.

Thank you. That was exactly what I needed.

No built in security at all. Unraid was designed from the beginning as an easy to access NAS device, with no hardening at all. Now that people are adding all sorts of other functionality, security hasn't caught up.

With respect to this particular add on, it's easy enough to telnet in and run it when you need it, and shut it down when you are done.

In general, unraid in its current form should not have any ports forwarded to it, even the default webgui, as it has not been security tested or hardened at all. It's bad enough that it is exposed on the local lan, if you open ports to it you are asking to be hacked.

If you need remote access to the server, set up a private VPN connection into your network, and access it through that, or use teamviewer or some other secure remote login to a different machine on the local network and connect that way.

Hopefully this will change soon, but right now that's the way it is.

I agree with your consideration... BUT I was asking exactly for internal LAN use. In my environment is dangerous to leave a such powerful set of tools "open".

I'll go with a not standard port or closing it when unnecessary...

BUG Report

unRAID OS Version: 6.0 RC3 + unMENU 1.6

Description: Stopping the array from unMENU - Array Management - Stop Array key disconnect unRAID server from network (all http & telnet services). Ping continue to work.

How to reproduce: unMENU - Array Management - Stop Array <click>  ;D

Expected results: Array should stop with no issue.

Actual results: On primary console it's displayed a message about Fuse.

I don't know if array is really stopped since I can't see from WebGUI because of disconnect.

HTTP & Telnet connections are disconnected as well and are no more available. Ping still works.

Only way to regain access to unRAID server is phisically access to primary console and give a powerdown or reboot command (which all work fine).

Other information: Just ask.

r.e. the issues with UnMenu and v6 ==>  I'm a HUGE fan of UnMenu ... all 3 of my servers have it and I wouldn't be without it on v4.7 or v5.  Two of my servers run v5.0.6 and one still runs v4.7.

My v6 test server, however, does NOT have UnMenu installed ... 'nor do I think it's needed anymore.  The three key features I used UnMenu for were UPS support;  notifications; and the MyMain add-in that makes it easy to get SMART reports on your drives.    v6 has far better disk reporting; notifications; and built-in UPS support ... so there's really nothing I need UnMenu for anymore  :'(

It's by far my favorite utility => I'd have been very satisfied if the stock GUI had simply moved to an updated version of UnMenu ... but that's not what happened, so we have what we have.

I presume that as long as you make sure you don't have port conflicts on 8080 it will still work fine with v6, but it seems like that's an issue you have to re-address with every update; so at least until v6 "stable" is released it may be simplest to just not install it.    It's unfortunate that the port wasn't marked as "reserved" so other developers would avoid this conflict, but obviously that didn't happen.

r.e. the issues with UnMenu and v6 ==>  I'm a HUGE fan of UnMenu ... all 3 of my servers have it and I wouldn't be without it on v4.7 or v5.  Two of my servers run v5.0.6 and one still runs v4.7.

My v6 test server, however, does NOT have UnMenu installed ... 'nor do I think it's needed anymore.  The three key features I used UnMenu for were UPS support;  notifications; and the MyMain add-in that makes it easy to get SMART reports on your drives.    v6 has far better disk reporting; notifications; and built-in UPS support ... so there's really nothing I need UnMenu for anymore  :'(

I could agree with you if the Dynamix WebGUI on v.6 wouldn't hangs every ten clicks on tabs or so...  ::)

E.g. I've tried to use unMENU to stop the array since WebGUI had hanged (emhttp @100% cpu usage and not responding. If killed and restarted... 'segmentation fault' and still not working...) BUT I've discovered the previously reported bug since it 'slammed' me out of my server at all...

When WebGUI hangs unMENU lose its images but still remains functional and this is very usefull if you are remote or if e.g. you have to take a syslog related to WebGUI hangs...  ;D

Moreover I think that pages like myMENU haven' still an equivalent on stock WebGUI....

I can easily understand that => that's why NONE of my 3 servers are running v6  :)

I do have a "test machine" that I run v6 on, but haven't had significant freezes like you've noted.  Not particularly surprised, however => I never used any of the fancier GUI's in v4 or v5 (e.g. Dynamix).

I'd have actually preferred just staying with the stock GUI + UnMenu ... that's been a VERY solid pair for the 6 years or so I've been using UnRAID.