unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

Apparently unMENU is not compatible with V6.1-rc3.  Any fixes in the works?  I still find unMENU useful when the unRaid gui is not accessible.  Thanks.

Which is why I will NOT be upgrading to 6.1 unless this is made compatible or the features from this that I use are put into the unRAID GUI.

We have the basic chicken vs. egg issue here.

I do not typically upgrade my server to the latest version until it is out for a few days.  Therefore, I have no way to test or make changes to unMENU.

From what I've read, the /root/mdcmd shell command no longer exists.  unMENU uses it to get the status of the array.

/root/mdcmd was just a interface to /proc/mdcmd. 

You could try putting it back into place and see if everything starts working once more

You can re-create it by typing:

echo 'if [ $1 == "status" ]; then' > /root/mdcmd

echo '  cat /proc/mdcmd' >> /root/mdcmd

echo ' else' >> /root/mdcmd

echo '  echo $* >/proc/mdcmd' >> /root/mdcmd

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

Apparently unMENU is not compatible with V6.1-rc3.  Any fixes in the works?  I still find unMENU useful when the unRaid gui is not accessible.  Thanks.

Which is why I will NOT be upgrading to 6.1 unless this is made compatible or the features from this that I use are put into the unRAID GUI.

I do not typically upgrade my server to the latest version until it is out for a few days.  Therefore, I have no way to test or make changes to unMENU.

From what I've read, the /root/mdcmd shell command no longer exists.  unMENU uses it to get the status of the array.

You could try putting it back into place and see if everything starts working once more

echo 'if [ $1 == "status" ]; then' >> /root/mdcmd

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

Ha. I was just looking at this too and see you responded.

I was thinking to create a file called /root/mdcmd that looks like:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd $*

That work also?

If so, there should be a command in the go file that if /root/mdcmd does not exist, to create that file. This would allow for the mdcmd command to be updated in a future release (not sure if ever would).

Anyway, just my $0.02.

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd $*

That work also?

If so, there should be a command in the go file that if /root/mdcmd does not exist, to create that file. This would allow for the mdcmd command to be updated in a future release (not sure if ever would).

Anyway, just my $0.02.

if it moved, that would do it.  As I said earlier, I'm not running the newer release, so have had no opportunity to look around.

echo 'if [ $1 == "status" ]; then' > /root/mdcmd

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

Just so you know I was more complaining about how I got flack saying I had this installed when "it wasn't needed with the new v6 GUI".  unMENU still has things I use all the time and is easier to read because the fonts are larger then the default GUI.  They wanted a list of things I use from unMENU so I gave it to them in another thread.  Right now with some of the reported bugs I wouldn't want to upgrade to the 6.1RC's anyway although RC5 only has one reported problem and easily fixed so would be a possibility.  But without the items I want in the GUI I don't see a reason to upgrade yet.

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd $*

That work also?

Anyway, just my $0.02.

if it moved, that would do it.  As I said earlier, I'm not running the newer release, so have had no opportunity to look around.

even easier is to type:

ln -s /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd /root

I just upgraded to the latest release of unRAID 6.1-rc5, and it seems to be all that is needed to get unMENU working again.

You can add a line to the config/go file to perform that link command each time you reboot.

Thanks Joe => it's nice the fix is so simple ... despite all the newer "stuff" I still don't want to be without UnMenu  :)

You are welcome.

If you think about it, much of the newer (now native) features were originally implemented in unMENU, and unMENU was originally created to explore alternative and improved user-interfaces to unRAID.  It has done exactly what it was created for.  I am happy that it still offers substantial value after all these years.

No, unMENU does not offer "docker" or "virtual server" features...  but it certainly holds its own with almost everything else.

(unRAID itself does not yet allow you to choose a vertical vs. horizontal menu bar... they still have some catching up to do)

I just upgraded from unRAID V5.0.5 to V6.0.1.  I have tried going a week without unMENU since unRAID V6 webgui is supposed to provide most of unMENU natively.

Well, after a week, I find myself looking to install unMENU again!  I don't know how anyone can say the unRAID webgui has replaced most of unMENU.  Two features I use the most is the ability to customize myMain and ability to manage unassigned devices.

Edit:

Is this anything to be concerned about?  Can I do something so these messages don't appear?

Aug 31 14:25:27 Beanstalk unmenu-status: Starting unmenu web-server
Aug 31 14:25:45 Beanstalk unmenu[23702]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Aug 31 14:26:41 Beanstalk unmenu[23702]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Aug 31 14:29:23 Beanstalk unmenu[23702]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Aug 31 14:32:42 Beanstalk unmenu[23702]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Aug 31 14:33:29 Beanstalk kernel: ntfs: driver 2.1.31 [Flags: R/O MODULE]. (System)
Aug 31 14:33:29 Beanstalk unmenu[23702]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Aug 31 14:33:29 Beanstalk unmenu[23702]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd $*

That work also?

Anyway, just my $0.02.

even easier is to type:

I just upgraded to the latest release of unRAID 6.1-rc5, and it seems to be all that is needed to get unMENU working again.

You can add a line to the config/go file to perform that link command each time you reboot.

H Joe,

If we put this in the GO file ... will it solve all issues for all other plugins that are not verified for 6.1 ?

i have the swap plugin and VFS recycle bin plugin installed and would hate to lose those two

Greetings

Peter

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd $*

That work also?

Anyway, just my $0.02.

even easier is to type:

I would so much like to have Unmenu running with the new v6.1 of Unraid.

I tried adding

/ln -s /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd /root  into my go file and it did nothing.

Am I also supposed to do this wih MC from the Command Line ?

echo 'fi' >> /root/mdcmd

chmod 755 /root/mdcmd

I tried adding

The way you typed it above, it looks like you added a slash at the beginning.  Don't!  Then either reboot or type it at the command line, and test.

I tried adding

The way you typed it above, it looks like you added a slash at the beginning.  Don't!  Then either reboot or type it at the command line, and test.

Yes, Works. Thank you

I think these syslog messages are related to Unmenu

Can someone  help me figure out what they men and eliminate them ?

Sep 1 14:23:21 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:23:25 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:24:01 Tower crond[1673]: exit status 127 from user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dyanmix/scripts/monitor &> /dev/null

Sep 1 14:24:38 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:25:01 Tower crond[1673]: exit status 127 from user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dyanmix/scripts/monitor &> /dev/null

Sep 1 14:25:04 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:26:00 Tower php: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/notify 'cron-init'

Sep 1 14:26:14 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:26:31 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:26:50 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:28:26 Tower php: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/notify 'cron-init'

Sep 1 14:28:53 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:29:16 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:29:28 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

Sep 1 14:29:40 Tower unmenu[2901]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

I just upgraded to unRAID V6.1.0 and added the link command for mdcmd.

However I have two problems:

1. unMenu is unaware of my devices sdaa and sdab.  It looks like it never accounted for devices to go beyond sdz?

2. I am still receiving these errors, maybe related to #1?

Sep  3 21:53:44 Beanstalk unmenu[7783]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Sep  3 21:53:44 Beanstalk unmenu[7783]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Sep  3 21:54:15 Beanstalk unmenu[7783]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory
Sep  3 21:54:15 Beanstalk unmenu[7783]: cat: /sys/block/loo/stat: No such file or directory

This is the message at the top of myMain:

Couldn't find drivedb[loop0]

Couldn't find drivedb[loop1]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new unraid user who just built his first server. I want to preclear but I cant seem to get the pkg manager in unmenu to install anything.

Wiki instructions say:

Step 5 Click Download screen-4.03-i486-1.tgz. The status will change to "Package downloaded, but not yet installed".

Step 6 Click Install screen-4.03-i486-1.tgz. You will see a report of the commands run and the status will change to "screen-4.0.3-i486-1.tgz is now installed".

But there isn't an option to click "Download screen.." The button says "Select screen.." and when I click on it nothing happens.

Relative noob, but looking for some guidance. Thanks!

I'm a new unraid user who just built his first server. I want to preclear but I cant seem to get the pkg manager in unmenu to install anything.

Wiki instructions say:

Step 5 Click Download screen-4.03-i486-1.tgz. The status will change to "Package downloaded, but not yet installed".

Step 6 Click Install screen-4.03-i486-1.tgz. You will see a report of the commands run and the status will change to "screen-4.0.3-i486-1.tgz is now installed".

But there isn't an option to click "Download screen.." The button says "Select screen.." and when I click on it nothing happens.

I assume your using version 6 of unraid

Try the preclear plugin. Works rather well and no need for screen.

Wiki instructions say:

I assume your using version 6 of unraid

Try the preclear plugin. Works rather well and no need for screen.

Here's a link if you need it. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39985.0

If I remember correctly you'll need to install the plugin and the script separately. Check the instructions.

even easier is to type:

You know @Joe L. the pre-clear script also looks for this as well. (I am on 6.1.2):

root@TheArk:/boot# ./pre* -A /dev/sdb

./preclear_disk.sh: line 1307: /root/mdcmd: No such file or directory

Pre-Clear unRAID Disk /dev/sdb

################################################################## 1.15

Device Model:    HGST HDN724040ALE640

Serial Number:    XXXXXXXXXXXX

LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 250c20b0e

Firmware Version: MJAOA5E0

User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]

Disk /dev/sdb: 4000.8 GB, 4000787030016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 486401 cylinders, total 7814037168 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

########################################################################

invoked as  ./preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sdb

########################################################################

Here is the line from your script:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# First, do some basic tests to ensure the disk  is not part of the arrray

# and not mounted, and not in use in any way.

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

devices=`/root/mdcmd status | strings | grep rdevName | sed 's/\([^=]*\)=\([^=]\)/\/dev\/\2/'`

I am just going to change mine to:

# First, do some basic tests to ensure the disk  is not part of the arrray

# and not mounted, and not in use in any way.

devices=`/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd status | strings | grep rdevName | sed 's/\([^=]*\)=\([^=]\)/\/dev\/\2/'`

Where is UnMenu going to live after the google code shutdown thing?  Is there an updated place to get it?

Is there an update guide going from V5 to V6 of UnRaid?

In version 6 there is really no need for UnMenu (at least that I can see). The options available in the standard GUI, and with the Dynamix addins far exceed with UnMenu is able to provide (and is way more visually appealing). Also, with move to Dockers instead of plugins it's eliminated that benefit that UnMenu used to provide there as well.

I was a die-hard UnMenu fan in version 5, and even the early version 6 betas, however as the version 6 capabilities grew I tried moving away and never looked back. I think this is true for many users.

For those on version 5 there is still no better option than UnMenu. For those moving to version 6, I would suggest working with the options natively available, and see if there is anything you miss from UnMenu. Chances are there won't be, but if there is, then I would suggest submitting a request for the Dynamix team to add.

Overall I think you will be pleasantly surprised as what you can do with just UnRAID today - I know I certainly was.