unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

I was following an old thread on how to mount an external hard drive in unRAID (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12725.0) but my main unMENU page did not appear to have the drive function buttons as the OP in that thread had:

ScreenShot2013-08-01at83345AM_zps40831da9.png

I upgraded to unMENU v1.6 and still do not see these buttons:

ScreenShot2013-08-01at83903AM_zps70b5d8a0.png

I've examined all other unMENU pages and did not find any other means of mounting these drives through unMENU.

All drives are NTFS formatted.

I am in the process of setting up my new Norco RPC-4224 system and will need to migrate those 7 drives (why does unRAID show two entries for each external drive?) into unRAID by painstakingly copying each drive one-at-a-time and I don't want to do it over the network.  They are currently connected to a USB hub, which in turn is now connected to unRAID.

Do I need to restart unRAID?  Or am I missing something else here?

I was following an old thread on how to mount an external hard drive in unRAID (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12725.0) but my main unMENU page did not appear to have the drive function buttons as the OP in that thread had:

ScreenShot2013-08-01at83345AM_zps40831da9.png

I upgraded to unMENU v1.6 and still do not see these buttons:

ScreenShot2013-08-01at83903AM_zps70b5d8a0.png

I've examined all other unMENU pages and did not find any other means of mounting these drives through unMENU.

All drives are NTFS formatted.

I am in the process of setting up my new Norco RPC-4224 system and will need to migrate those 7 drives (why does unRAID show two entries for each external drive?) into unRAID by painstakingly copying each drive one-at-a-time and I don't want to do it over the network.  They are currently connected to a USB hub, which in turn is now connected to unRAID.

Do I need to restart unRAID?  Or am I missing something else here?

Scroll to the bottom of the Disk Management tab - do you see your drives and the mount option?
Wow there some warm drives.

Yeap.  But those are the external USB drives on a hot summer day.

Scroll to the bottom of the Disk Management tab - do you see your drives and the mount option?

I can see the entire web page and there are no controls/buttons below what you see in the screen shot.

If you just upgraded code.. you prob need to clear browser cache. and restart unmenu.

I restarted unMenu following the upgrade instructions before I check for those drive functions.  I also checked on a different computer that I did not use to access unRAID prior to the upgrade and still no buttons.

I have now attached just one external drive and rebooted unRAID but no drive function buttons.

Wow there some warm drives.

Yeap.  But those are the external USB drives on a hot summer day.

Unraid does not support USB drives as members of the array.

I can see the entire web page and there are no controls/buttons below what you see in the screen shot.

That screenshot is NOT the Disk Management tab.

Yea, okay, ya got me on screen capping and uploading the MAIN PAGE because I wasn't paying attention when composing the post, but the fact still remains there are NO drive function buttons the DRIVE MANAGEMENT page.  I've tried numerous times, a reboot, under OS X and Windows browser.  Nada, zilch.

8-1-20136-07-08PM_zps2caa99f2.png

Yea, okay, ya got me on screen capping and uploading the MAIN PAGE because I wasn't paying attention when composing the post, but the fact still remains there are NO drive function buttons the DRIVE MANAGEMENT page.  I've tried numerous times, a reboot, under OS X and Windows browser.  Nada, zilch.

8-1-20136-07-08PM_zps2caa99f2.png

It is probably because it is a USB external drive.  You can see the drive in your graphic but the buttons probably don't show because it is external.  You will have to do it from a command line assuming that is even possible.  A better option for your drive would be the SNAP plugin as I believe that will mount USB drives - but I have never used it so don't know for sure.  Attached is what my Disk Management tab looks like.  If the cache drive was attached but not in the array or assigned as the cache drive it would have the mount buttons like the virtual HDD does.

unRAID_Disk_Management_Tab.png.29a1d2e1df9182bad8545816a4d6cd17.png

The normal buttons for SMART commands are not there because it is a USB drive and they typically do not support SMART commands.

The file-system mount buttons are not there because the file system is not being recognized as one of

"ntfs", "reiserfs", "ext2", "vfat", "ext3", "hfsplus"

when the partition is tested via the blkid command on the first partition

# blkid /dev/sdb1

/dev/sdb1: UUID="f48885ea-1ec2-4e02-9a6c-9c569d589547" TYPE="reiserfs"

The normal buttons for SMART commands are not there because it is a USB drive and they typically do not support SMART commands.

The file-system mount buttons are not there because the file system is not being recognized as one of

# blkid /dev/sdb1

Not concerned about the SMART commands as I already knew that has never been accessible in any system on any of my USB drives in the past, but what I am looking for is just the MOUNT option.  All these USB drives were first formatted under Windows 7 plugged directly into the computer SATA ports, then removed and installed in an external USB case.  With my Norco up and all the hot-swap drives plugged into SASLP PCIe cards, the motherboard SATA ports are all open so I don't mind plugging these NTFS drives into them just for the purpose of copying over their contents to newly added array drives.

But again, going from a previous thread, that OP had also inquired and successfully accessed external USB drives via unMENU, albeit by accidentally reformatting the drives as reiserfs (which, I don't even have that option for my USB drives through unMENU).

# blkid /dev/sdb1

Not concerned about the SMART commands as I already knew that has never been accessible in any system on any of my USB drives in the past, but what I am looking for is just the MOUNT option.  All these USB drives were first formatted under Windows 7 plugged directly into the computer SATA ports, then removed and installed in an external USB case.  With my Norco up and all the hot-swap drives plugged into SASLP PCIe cards, the motherboard SATA ports are all open so I don't mind plugging these NTFS drives into them just for the purpose of copying over their contents to newly added array drives.

But again, going from a previous thread, that OP had also inquired and successfully accessed external USB drives via unMENU, albeit by accidentally reformatting the drives as reiserfs (which, I don't even have that option for my USB drives through unMENU).

What do you get for the blkid command I mentioned above?

Looking at the package manager.. there are different indenting formats being used.. its making my ocd go haywire :P

I started to fix things like convert the random tabs used to spaces, removing trailing spaces, using a standard 4 space tabstop, etc. Just trying to make the code more readable so I could follow the logic of everything. There are just so many packages now the list is getting a bit long and there are multiple copies of the same package (apcupsd)...

I was thinking we could pre-pend all the .conf with a semver of the unraid trunk the packages could be placed within. That way you could just key off the filename (since using a variable would require hitting each .conf and reading into it.. could be slow) to split what version of unraid it should fall within.

You have a note that: cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library accidentally left out of unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5beta5

So showing this in the list for 5.x users is pretty pointless.. it just clutters the list.

So a quick example we could do something like:

4.x-cxxlibs-unmenu-package.conf

apcupsd-unmenu-package

5.x-apcupsd-3.14.10-unmenu-package.conf

Now how to display/use this info we could go about this two ways:

Method 1 (backend segmenting):

In the package manager we just have two tables/fieldsets..  one for 4.x, one for 5.x. We detect what version of unraid the user is running and put that fieldset first. We'd still show all the packages but just segment them logically... and if we create a package that will only work for 5.x we somewhat add a buffer for the user of installing it incorrectly under 4.x as it would be in the other fieldset so they would have had to hunt for it.

Now you noticed above there was one without a prefix.. how would we handle these? Do we put them under both sections (do they support both versions)? Do we create yet a 3rd section for the catchalls (untested versions/test versions)?

Method 2 (frontend segmenting):

Change the whole output format slightly so that its more in a table output, we then put the required unraid version in its own column.. which we then could just sort the table off of. There is endless amounts of things we could do with this method.. but would be a bit more work.

Now if we wanted to go down the road with a table output we then could start doing a bit more things like adding a search/filter/logic to show the data how we want.

I contribute to 'tablesorter' which is a jquery based javascript solution.. we could do a bit of things with this.

Well... it was a lot easier when there were only a few packages, and only one version of unRAID to support.  ;D  It sure has grown!!!  (with everyone's contributions)

I agree, we need to be able to identify which packages are compatible with which versions of unRAID. 

Also, dependencies on other libraries and packages needs to be handled better.

And... a way to show only installed packages. (probably should be default view)

As far as OCD and spacing... in "vi" I use

:set ts=4 sw=4

and it all makes sense.

Finally, Tom just unveiled his proposed 5.0 skin which includes a package manager of sorts.  It has none of the features we are discussing for dependencies, or version management, or sorting.  They have a lot to catch up, especially once unMENU's is more organized.

Honestly, I think the work done recently on unMENU 1.6 makes it's skin look a lot more polished.    You've set the bar pretty high.    I'm happy to have your help.

My time is pretty limited these days,as I've just started in a new position as the Senior Systems Architect at an e-commerce company.  They have a very busy and aggressive schedule of projects, leaving me less time for unMENU changes of my own.  As I said, very happy to get the assist.

Joe L.

Joe L, don't give up.  I don't like the catering to whiners any more than the next.  Hopefully whatever flavor of GUI and package manager actually makes it into final is one like unMENU and the work Influencer has done - simple, effective, easily managed, and damned reliable.  Unfortunately, the generation of today is mostly about how it looks and most don't care beyond that.  My only suggestion for Tom is if he wants to go the SF route that he puts his stamp on every aspect of it before being allowed as part of the stock package or if creating an external dependency.  Nothing against speeding_ant in any way, he and others have put in a lot of work to produce SF, I just prefer 100% no BS uptime over my NAS going down because some part of the GUI crashed.

Joe L, don't give up.  I don't like the catering to whiners any more than the next.

Don't worry, I won't give up.  I'm just (now) working instead of being semi-retired (unemployed)
Hopefully whatever flavor of GUI and package manager actually makes it into final is one like unMENU and the work Influencer has done - simple, effective, easily managed, and damned reliable.  Unfortunately, the generation of today is mostly about how it looks and most don't care beyond that.  My only suggestion for Tom is if he wants to go the SF route that he puts his stamp on every aspect of it before being allowed as part of the stock package or if creating an external dependency.  Nothing against speeding_ant in any way, he and others have put in a lot of work to produce SF, I just prefer 100% no BS uptime over my NAS going down because some part of the GUI crashed.

Actually, much of what speeding_ant has done is based on the work first done in unMENU.  I too prefer a reliable server over one that looks flashy.  (although, with the changes recently done to unMENU, I think SF has some catching up to do!!!)

Tom's initial version of a package manager is barely a usable one, but looks good in a potential advertisement.  It too has a long way until it can catch up with unMENU's one (as crude as it is currently)  unMENU was originally capable of only text based pages, but it has evolved over the years.... dramatically.

Joe L.

What do you get for the blkid command I mentioned above?

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Television" UUID="849E03DE9E03C79E" TYPE="ntfs"

I see the issue.  Your output has a LABEL field I do not.  A fix will be available soon.

Joe L.

Fixed!

If you "Check for Updates" and install them, your ability to mount the ntfs  file-system should be present.

Joe L.

I see the issue.  Your output has a LABEL field I do not.  A fix will be available soon.

Joe L.

Fixed!

If you "Check for Updates" and install them, your ability to mount the ntfs  file-system should be present.

Joe L.

Ya, the moment I saw the output and compared to what you thought should be expected, I noticed immediately the LABEL was probably the culprit.

Fix worked perfectly!

On a side note, I noticed the vertical "skin" of 1.6 does not fit entirely within a tablet (iPad) landscape orientation but does not offer the ability to scroll.  Not that I access unMENU via my iPad often, but it is something to be mindful of and whether there is sufficient impetus to resolve for such users.

Anyways, thanks for the quick resolution!

It's been several years since I had to deal with this, but how do I modify unMENU to use IP addresses instead of host names to reference its unRAID server?

There is no local DNS nor Master Browser on the network that does internal host name resolution.  No big deal on my computers as I could configure their local host files as necessary, but with the advent of smart phones and tablets, I don't want to deal with individually modifying such devices to fully access all of unMENU's functions which rely heavily on referencing its unRAID server via its host name instead of IP.

So what is entailed to change unMENU's referencing method to IP?

Joe L.

Fixed!

Joe L.

Ya, the moment I saw the output and compared to what you thought should be expected, I noticed immediately the LABEL was probably the culprit.

Fix worked perfectly!

On a side note, I noticed the vertical "skin" of 1.6 does not fit entirely within a tablet (iPad) landscape orientation but does not offer the ability to scroll.  Not that I access unMENU via my iPad often, but it is something to be mindful of and whether there is sufficient impetus to resolve for such users.

Anyways, thanks for the quick resolution!

this is a known ipad 'issue' with most sites. the 'fix' is just that apple makes you have to use the two finger scrolling gesture

I noticed the vertical "skin" of 1.6 does not fit entirely within a tablet (iPad) landscape orientation but does not offer the ability to scroll.

this is a known ipad 'issue' with most sites. the 'fix' is just that apple makes you have to use the two finger scrolling gesture

I tried said two-finger gesture but could not scroll the vertical unMENU buttons...

Like I said, no big deal for me as I rarely access unMENU via my tablets/smartphones.

I noticed the vertical "skin" of 1.6 does not fit entirely within a tablet (iPad) landscape orientation but does not offer the ability to scroll.

I tried said two-finger gesture but could not scroll the vertical unMENU buttons...

Like I said, no big deal for me as I rarely access unMENU via my tablets/smartphones.

you using ios5+ ?

It's been several years since I had to deal with this, but how do I modify unMENU to use IP addresses instead of host names to reference its unRAID server?

There is no local DNS nor Master Browser on the network that does internal host name resolution.  No big deal on my computers as I could configure their local host files as necessary, but with the advent of smart phones and tablets, I don't want to deal with individually modifying such devices to fully access all of unMENU's functions which rely heavily on referencing its unRAID server via its host name instead of IP.

So what is entailed to change unMENU's referencing method to IP?

Bump on this; still awaiting someone's insightful help!