unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

I know most if not all of the screens in unMenu should still work OK in 64 bit, and I have been using them but I haven't tested all of the screens. I assume most of Pkg Manager is 32 bit only. I'm not sure about User Scripts, but I would guess most should work.

Can anyone fill in some details here?

What in Pkg Manager can we expect to work in 64 bit unRAID?

What in User Scripts can we expect to NOT work in 64 bit unRAID?

Any other gotchas?

I know most if not all of the screens in unMenu should still work OK in 64 bit, and I have been using them but I haven't tested all of the screens. I assume most of Pkg Manager is 32 bit only. I'm not sure about User Scripts, but I would guess most should work.

Can anyone fill in some details here?

What in Pkg Manager can we expect to work in 64 bit unRAID?

What in User Scripts can we expect to NOT work in 64 bit unRAID?

Any other gotchas?

If you get the most current version of unMENU's package manager you will find it is now 64bit aware and will only present packages that have had a new PACKAGE_OS variable added to them that either says "64bit", or "any"

All the package files I currently distribute have been marked as needed.

If you upgrade to 64 bitOS, then the package manager will still let you mark an older (non-64-bit)  installed package to NOT re-install on reboot.

So, click on the"Check-for-updates" button on the user-scripts page, update unMENU by pressing the subsequent "Install Updates" button, mark to not re-install on reboot any known 32 bit only packages, and then update your OS to 64bit.

Thanks Joe L.

That worked. Installed monthly parity check. The other thing I was hoping to get working from unMenu is the status emails. That is there but the other part that allowed for setting up and sending emails isn't. Any help with that?

That part is not a 64 bit executable. 

Just have to wait for somebody to create the equivalent 64bit conf files pointing to 64 bits downloadable slackware packages.

Hi I need some testers, I just fixed the ssmtp and c compiler for email functionality on x64.

please install c compiler first.

then ssmtp.

Got some error on install but I did not have the time to configure them this morning... need to take kid to doc.

please if you test I need errors and how it does not work so I can clean it up also the line that checks the version number returns the folder instead of version so for now I just check the folder path..

this is 64 bit only you have been told.

mail-ssmtp-unmenu-package_x64.conf

compiler-unmenu-package_x64.conf

Change -> PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING /usr/sbin/ssmtp: to PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING 2.64 [EDIT: Disregard this comment /usr/sbin/ssmtp: is correct]

on a side note, should we be installing openssl-1.0.1g to fix the heartbleed bug? Not really sure how it applies to this package or unRAID but better safe than sorry?

PACKAGE_EXTRA_URL http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.1/patches/packages/openssl-1.0.1g-x86_64-1_slack14.1.txz
PACKAGE_EXTRA_FILE openssl-1.0.1g-x86_64-1_slack14.1.txz
PACKAGE_EXTRA_MD5 d85f8f451f71dd606f3adb59e582322a

Ahh shoot! "/usr/sbin/ssmtp:" is correct. I was messing around with another version of ssmtp and forgot to uninstall it before installing your conf. Sorry about the confusion!

However, now ssmtp will not save my gmail email settings and I get this error:

ln: failed to access '/usr/bin/sendmail': No such file or directory

Below is the full output of ssmtp attempting to install.

mv: cannot stat 'ssmtp-2.64': No such file or directory
/boot/packages/ssmtp_2.64-7.1.debian.tar.bz2.manual_install: line 31: cd: ssmtp: No such file or directory
/boot/packages/ssmtp_2.64-7.1.debian.tar.bz2.manual_install: line 31: ./configure: No such file or directory
/boot/packages/ssmtp_2.64-7.1.debian.tar.bz2.manual_install: line 32: cd: ssmtp: No such file or directory
sed: can't read Makefile: No such file or directory
/boot/packages/ssmtp_2.64-7.1.debian.tar.bz2.manual_install: line 33: cd: ssmtp: No such file or directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
ln: failed to access '/usr/sbin/ssmtp': No such file or directory
Verifying package mailx-12.5-x86_64-1.txz.
Installing package mailx-12.5-x86_64-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# mailx (a simple mail client)
#
# Mailx is derived from Berkeley Mail and is intended provide the
# functionality of the POSIX mailx command with additional support
# for MIME, IMAP, POP3, SMTP, and S/MIME. It provides enhanced
# features for interactive use, such as caching and disconnected
# operation for IMAP, message threading, scoring, and filtering.
# It is also usable as a mail batch language, both for sending
# and receiving mail.
#
# The maintainer and primary developer of mailx is Gunnar Ritter.
Executing install script for mailx-12.5-x86_64-1.txz.
Package mailx-12.5-x86_64-1.txz installed.

I found a ssmtp package already compiled for Slackware 14.1 so I modified the original code (this means we no longer need to install c compiler to install ssmtp). I have it working with my gmail account.

I also updated Screen to work in x64.

You can test it from my github: THIS IS FOR unRAID 6.0 only

https://github.com/archedraft/unMENU_6.0

SSMTP

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archedraft/unMENU_6.0/master/mail-ssmtp-unmenu-package-x86_64.conf

Screen

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archedraft/unMENU_6.0/master/screen-unmenu-package-x86_64.conf

I found a ssmtp package already compiled for Slackware 14.1 so I modified the original code (this means we no longer need to install c compiler to install ssmtp). I have it working with my gmail account.

SSMTP

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archedraft/unMENU_6.0/master/mail-ssmtp-unmenu-package-x86_64.conf

Screen

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archedraft/unMENU_6.0/master/screen-unmenu-package-x86_64.conf

Works great! Thanks

SSMTP

Screen

Thanks so much for doing this...

I really appreciate it.

Joe L.

Yeah I am the same way. unMENU has always worked so it is hard to want to try something else.

Ditto ... I simply don't understand the fascination with Simple Features & Dynamix => the stock GUI plus UnMenu provides everything I want (although I DO wish the e-mail notifications were a bit simpler to set up).

Thanks to JoeL for a great package that has endured for years (and hopefully will continue to do so for years to come).

Yeah I am the same way. unMENU has always worked so it is hard to want to try something else.

Ditto ... I simply don't understand the fascination with Simple Features & Dynamix => the stock GUI plus UnMenu provides everything I want (although I DO wish the e-mail notifications were a bit simpler to set up).

Thanks to JoeL for a great package that has endured for years (and hopefully will continue to do so for years to come).

Here here! But Joe L. created more than just a package, it was a framework that invited community involvement. BubbaQ (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) collaborated with Joe on the package manager, innumerable people created package files and user scripts (including WeeboTech with the extremely useful powerdown script), I did some tinkering in unmenu to support posting to allow interactive forms, serve images (with Joe's help when my method didn't work for everyone), and created myMain. And, most recently, the updated look that was accomplished with the help of mvdzwaan.

But Joe L. has kept it all well organized, easy to install and update, tested and tweaked with each version, and supported it well beyond anything you'd get with software you buy.

I too hope unmenu will live on as a unifying platform that invites community involvement, allows users to easily manage their arrays, and allows us Linux noobs and experienced users alike to easily harness the power of Linux and Linux applications on their media servers.

That is exactly why I am trying to get involved and translate packages to the x64. I feel it is my way of saying thank you.

Thornwood

Thank you! I for one really appreciate it. Not having the packages I use easily available definitely has slowed my enthusiasm towards trying out 6.0.

Wondering if the bwm-ng (BandWidth Monitoring) package is installable for 64-bit through unmenu? There are only a few must haves for me, and this is one. MyMain's performance view depends on it.

I have tried to locate a compiled bwn-ng package for Slackware 14.1x64 but have been unable to locate one. It seems like it is an older program that has not gotten updates over the years (I could be wrong but that is what the google search looked like to me). The website still has the source code but I have no idea how to compile anything or if one can compile older code into a 64 bit package?

Sorry I am on a plane right now so kind of stuck.

If the original is in C I did fix the c compiler look at the old smtp package to see if you understand how to work the compiler based on how they used it. I will try to look at it as soon as posable.

We will figure it out don't worry.

Thornwood

Definitely concur that all the package contributors deserve the same Kudos I posted for Joe  :)

MyMain, for example, is a VERY handy utility that I'd hate to be without.    My personal use of UnMenu is for UPS support; Clean Powerdown; MyMain; and the Disk Management access to SMART reports & tests.