unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

Doesn't Unraid have ssh without the need to install extra packages?  Or am I missing something.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

v6 does;  as I noted earlier, this is my only remaining v5-based server

I've just started using Putty with SSH instead of Telnet, and have discovered an issue with UnMenu on the one remaining v5 server I have.

Why not just do the easy fix and rename the file?

My initial thought was "How would that help?" ... but I assume you're suggesting renaming it so it's alphabetically AFTER the precursor, and would thus the install would work okay -- is that right?

Would that cause any issue with the package manager in UnMenu?

Correct alphabetically after.

Possibly unMenu's package manager might say that the package is no longer installed, but I think it shoudn't have any adverse affects

Renaming it works fine, but UnMenu then reports it as "installed, but will not be reinstalled on the next boot"

... so I simply made a copy of the auto-install line, leaving the original in place (added an "x" in front of the name => and now it works fine and just for grins the package manager reports correctly.    Obviously that means it attempts the install twice -- first time fails; 2nd time works ... but that's fine => I suspect it might add a half-second (maybe even a whole second !!) to the boot time  :)

• 5 months later...

Is it still possible to install unMENU?  This is my problem:

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu
Unable to download release list from http://unraid-unmenu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/release_list

It would appear the link to the download is dead.

Thanks,

craigr

Unable to download release list from http://unraid-unmenu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/release_list

Thanks,

craigr

Even if it did install, its safe to say that with unRaid 6+, unmenu could be termed deadware...

Thanks,

craigr

I'd be interested to know what feature of unMenu you want that you think unRAID V6 doesn't allow you to have. It could be that you just aren't aware of some of the features of V6.

... I'd be interested to know what feature of unMenu you want that you think unRAID V6 doesn't allow you to have. It could be that you just aren't aware of some of the features of V6.

The MyMain display isn't matched by anything in v6 ... that's probably the one feature that many folks miss from UnMenu.

Agree, however, that UnMenu is simply not required with v6.

... I'd be interested to know what feature of unMenu you want that you think unRAID V6 doesn't allow you to have. It could be that you just aren't aware of some of the features of V6.

The MyMain display isn't matched by anything in v6 ... that's probably the one feature that many folks miss from UnMenu.

Agree, however, that UnMenu is simply not required with v6.

+1

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I would like to add Makefile to build executable programs and libraries from source code.  I seem to recall unMENU had a package...

It did, but it was strictly a 32 bit development environment.  You need all 64 bit tools and libraries.  UnMENU can't help with that.

Apology for my ignorance, I haven't used MyMain, but what specific feature(s) of MyMain do you miss in v6?

You can setup a custom table (or tables) to display your array info and include stuff like various SMART statistics (say power-on hours) as well as user entered data like the purchase date of the drives. There is A LOT of data that can be user entered and customized. I personally found it very handy for tracking some of the basic information on the drives being used like the purchase date, cost, place, warranty start/end etc. At one time I threw that data into myMain so I could easily review the drive history to decide when upgrades were due.

Isn't this the information what the plugin Server Layout provides?

Sure, but the presentation/layout of the data in that plugin needs work and it's clunky to use because you have to go into the settings or plugin page then click on it to get to it instead of being able to add the extra fields right to the main page with the other disk info.

Main thing I missed when moving over to 6 and not having unmenu was the config file manger. Mainly use it for the go file,  could edit it right in the browser and it would automatically backup before each change so you could go back.  I then quickly noticed I don't play with the go file basically at all anymore so I don't miss that anymore.  But it would be nice if those files were accessible to be edited via the gui in unraid. 

Never used mymain but have used server layout plugin and maybe it's just something with my install but it often corrupts somehow and displays nothing and the I loose all my assignments and notes so I haven't been able to fully trust it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk