Thinking of using a Zalman MFC1 Fan Controller

gnollo

The unraid server is pretty quiet already, but was thinking of making it even quieter by using a fan controller.

The Zalman has 6 channels available (4 knobs + 2 switches)

I was thinking of using 3 channels (one for the two fans at the back, one for the fan vending underneath the top side of the case, and one for the 3 fans in front of the hard disks).

See review here

http://www.fastlanehw.com/reviews.php?i=101&page=2

I am planning to use 3 "4 in 3" bay adaptors (using 9 bays). This means that I am left with three bays to spare, one is used by the power switch, and one could be used by the fan controller.

Question is, will it lock when stuck in the case, as it seems using screws is not an option?

Well, after my wife had to climb back the stairs as she thought she lef the hairdryer on, only to find out it was the unraid server fans blowing away quite happily in the background, I decided to take the plunge and get the fan controller. I will let you know how it goes.

Hi all,

I mounted both of my unRaid servers in plywood boxes with large washable airfilters mounted on the front.

The back of the Cooler Master stacker servers hang out the rear of the boxes and the boxes are totally sealed.

This way they are very quiet and the front mounted filter helps reduce dust/dirt intake.

Regards,

TCIII

Hi all,

I mounted both of my unRaid servers in plywood boxes with large washable airfilters mounted on the front.

The back of the Cooler Master stacker servers hang out the rear of the boxes and the boxes are totally sealed.

This way they are very quiet and the front mounted filter helps reduce dust/dirt intake.

Regards,

TCIII

Pics?  I would love to see some. 

Thanks.

Got the Zalman controller yesterday, will install it tonight, and post some pics.

I am going to use separate controls for

- front fans

- back fans

- top fan

Would love for the motherboard to be able to reduce and increase fan speeds according to the hard disk temperature, but I don't think there is a way to do that....

JM2005,

I have had the garage get up to 90 deg F during the summer so I raise the garage door in the afternoon to let air circulate in.

I never run a parity check during the day when the garage is warmer than 80 deg F.

Since only a couple of drives are spun up during normal server usage, having the garage be at 90 deg F has not caused a problem.

Also, my garage never gets below 65 deg F during the winter because I have a water heater in there that helps warm it up.

Regards,

TCIII

Well, unless I am doing something wrong, it doesn't work with the fans at the back, which is the main reason I bought the controller for.

Looking carefully on the website

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=1&code=017

Maximum Power : 7.0W per channel

The only fan that works is the little one on the top. What puzzles me is that no light comes on when I connect the fan to the controllers, and it should!

I ended up unplugging one of the two fans at the back, and it has had no impact on the hard disks temps. Noise has halfed. I find that the main noise cause is the fan at the back, but I can live with that no problems.