Duplicati on UnRaid

znelbok

I have been using Duplicati on the desktop (from the expert advise of Steve Gibson from GRC - Security Now! Podcast) and when looking tonight into backup options for the UnRaid Server I realized there is a Linux option for Duplicati.

For those that don't know, Duplicati is a backup utility that does not phone home anywhere (unlike crashplan), is free and can backup to many different cloud based storage solutions (see the site for a full list and better explanation).  It uses a TNO (trust No One) philosophy and uses AES 256 encryption to encrypt the files back-up.  AEScrypt can be used to manually decrypt the files (highly recommend this utility for those that keep files in any of the cloud storage services).

So my question is, can the experts here tell me is I can get Duplicati to run on UnRaid to allow me to backup my files to a cloud storage service?

http://www.duplicati.com/home

If you want to hear what was said about Duplicati listen to Security Now Podacst 367 (brief discussion)

Thanks

mick

Thank you for checking this.

I have no clue with Linux so I was not able to make that determination.

Shame, as it would have been a great addition to the Unraid community.

It is open source so there may be the chance that a Guru with the inclination to do so could make it work but until then I will have to find a different solution.

Mick

Thank you for checking this.

I have no clue with Linux so I was not able to make that determination.

Shame, as it would have been a great addition to the Unraid community.

It is open source so there may be the chance that a Guru with the inclination to do so could make it work but until then I will have to find a different solution.

Mick

I've not read the source code, but, if it's .net then it's probably coded in visual basics/C#, which, isn't really easy to "transfer" to native unix. If it's made in C++, then, there's more chance, but, still unlikely (As the windows libraries are still a lot different to the linux ones).

Your reply tends to indicate that you think it is for windows.  There is a native Linux version

These are the packages available

Duplicati 1.3.4 for Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint - (deb)

Duplicati 1.3.4 for Fedora, RedHat, OpenSuSE - (rpm)

Duplicati 1.3.4 - (Linux binary, tgz)

Your reply tends to indicate that you think it is for windows.  There is a native Linux version

These are the packages available

Duplicati 1.3.4 for Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint - (deb)

Duplicati 1.3.4 for Fedora, RedHat, OpenSuSE - (rpm)

Duplicati 1.3.4 - (Linux binary, tgz)

I didn't check, I was just basing my reply based on the guy who said it was in .net.

If it's on linux, I did note that it had a CLI. Can I ask what the issue was? Dependencies? Window creation failed (Due to no desktop)? What?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just started using Duplicati to backup my Photographs folder which is approx 1.5Tb to an external drive using Unassigned Devices.

My question is thus:

Does Duplicati work in a similar manner to Time Machine where the first backup takes ages and then from that point on only modifications are backed up and it works out what is part of the most recent backup etc or not?

It will just take so long to complete the backup each time.

Thanks,

Neil

32 minutes ago, rctneil said:

Does Duplicati work in a similar manner to Time Machine where the first backup takes ages and then from that point on only modifications are backed up and it works out what is part of the most recent backup etc or not?

Yes, if configured that way.