MyMain showing HPA??

Hi

I recently got hold of an M1015 flashed it to IT mode and successfully installed it in my system, On this controller i have a single drive a 500GB Samsung i had laying about and started using it as a cache drive.

I thought i would try unmenu since its updates as was just using SF and a couple of plugins and to my surprise when i looked in mymain i notice it reporting HPA on my cache drive.

I don't own a gigabyte motherboard and have no idea how it got there (I don't know a lot about HPA though lol), and cant see anything about HPA in the system log.

I'm also unable to pull a smart report off for the drive using mymain but i can in SF for some reason.

Any advice appreciated

System log and screen captures attached

syslog-2013-04-22.zip

mymain.JPG.40d16fe5f45da17d7c3a912236fde82e.JPG

smart.JPG.51b72bec468c7fc5da0e39c3121502a7.JPG

I'm also unable to pull a smart report off for the drive using mymain but i can in SF for some reason.

That's because your SATA controller objects to being told to behave as a PATA/IDE controller (the -d ata switch in the smartctl command line).

That's because your SATA controller objects to being told to behave as a PATA/IDE controller (the -d ata switch in the smartctl command line).

Again, the solution was posted, all you need to do is set the myMain "smartopt" disk parameter to "-A" (without the quotes)

It is explained here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9337.msg141761#msg141761.

joe L.

Again, the solution was posted, all you need to do is set the myMain "smartopt" disk parameter to "-A" (without the quotes)

It is explained here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9337.msg141761#msg141761.

I would still like to know which/how many controllers actually need to have the -d ata switch applied, and whether there are still so many of them in existence that owners of correctly-behaved controllers should have to go to the trouble of overriding this setting.

I would still like to know which/how many controllers actually need to have the -d ata switch applied, and whether there are still so many of them in existence that owners of correctly-behaved controllers should have to go to the trouble of overriding this setting.

I think there are a lot... but they are those who have not upgraded from the earlier versions of unRAID. 

I do agree, the logic might be improved to dynamically determine if it is needed... or not.

I would still like to know which/how many controllers actually need to have the -d ata switch applied, and whether there are still so many of them in existence

I think there are a lot... but they are those who have not upgraded from the earlier versions of unRAID.

Okay, fair enough, but ...

I do agree, the logic might be improved to dynamically determine if it is needed... or not.

This would be great, if it can be done easily - it still frustrates me that those who only have well-behaved interfaces have to fiddle with the software settings so that those with 'defective' interfaces do not!

If you want to get a smart report off a drive connected to an M1015 you need to do this.

Your HPA may just be because the parameters for it are not loaded in mymain - but someone more knowledgeable should confirm.  In any case to turn off the warning follow this procedure.

Is it OK to just turn off the HPA warning, I dont want to turn it off if there is a real problem :(

If you want to get a smart report off a drive connected to an M1015 you need to do this.

Your HPA may just be because the parameters for it are not loaded in mymain - but someone more knowledgeable should confirm.  In any case to turn off the warning follow this procedure.

Is it OK to just turn off the HPA warning, I dont want to turn it off if there is a real problem :(

Your syslog shows no warnings about an HPA, you are safe to disable the warning in myMain.  It is occurring only because it has no listing in its config file that matches the "size" of your 500Gig drive.