3.9 Kernel out

ixnu

An unreleased feature for 5.x is the idea of a "cache pool".  Currently you can assign a single drive as the "cache drive" - the "cache pool" feature will let you assign multiple drives to "cache", which is renamed from "cache drive" to "cache pool".  The cache pool is formatted using btrfs.  This actually is pretty damn cool - the current "cache" drive is set up as a btrfs subvolume.  You also can set up the pool to have Raid-1 (and eventually according to referenced article, Raid-5/6) redundancy.  The real benefit of this scheme is with the use of SSD's assigned to the cache pool.  Why do you need more cache pool speed"?  For 10Gbit Ethernet of course!  So you can have an unRaid array of big slow disks coupled with a btrfs array of SSD's - pretty nice, right?

An unreleased feature for 5.x is the idea of a "cache pool".  Currently you can assign a single drive as the "cache drive" - the "cache pool" feature will let you assign multiple drives to "cache", which is renamed from "cache drive" to "cache pool".  The cache pool is formatted using btrfs.  This actually is pretty damn cool - the current "cache" drive is set up as a btrfs subvolume.  You also can set up the pool to have Raid-1 (and eventually according to referenced article, Raid-5/6) redundancy.  The real benefit of this scheme is with the use of SSD's assigned to the cache pool.  Why do you need more cache pool speed"?  For 10Gbit Ethernet of course!  So you can have an unRaid array of big slow disks coupled with a btrfs array of SSD's - pretty nice, right?

Sounds nice. When can we expect it?

So you can have an unRaid array of big slow disks coupled with a btrfs array of SSD's - pretty nice, right?

Tres nice.

FTA, it appears that much faster array rebuilds (correlated to used spaced) and maybe even a read cache might be doable.

So you can have an unRaid array of big slow disks coupled with a btrfs array of SSD's - pretty nice, right?

Finally, a REALLY good reason to use a cache drive =>  I don't use one now, as I want everything I write to UnRAID to be fault-tolerant as of the write.    But with a btrfs RAID array of SSDs, this objective can be achieved with MUCH faster write speeds ... don't even need 10Gb Ethernet => just 1Gb Ethernet with SSD cache drives will yield writes close to 120MB/s  :)

I  lol'ed  :P

Easy... It will be introduced after 5.0 is finalized... probably somewhere in 5.1, 5.2, or possibly 5.3 or 5.4. 

As Tom said, 5.X (where X !=0 or he would be skinned alive by some for introducing a new kernel into the 5.0 release )

(I hope you are young and patient 8))

Joe L.

I  lol'ed  :P

Easy... It will be introduced after 5.0 is finalized... probably somewhere in 5.1, 5.2, or possibly 5.3 or 5.4. 

As Tom said, 5.X (where X !=0 or he would be skinned alive by some for introducing a new kernel into the 5.0 release )

(I hope you are young and patient 8))

Joe L.

I just wanted to see if he'd even bother to respond.