Need Help: PXE Booting OpenELEC from unRAID

cheers peter!, really appreciate you sharing, ive implemented the changes but am not near my box at the mo and vmware player seems to act up on pxe boot (seeing background image tiled) so i need to see this running on the physical box.

When Openelec starts up I do get an error about script.common.plugin.cache failing (as also seen earlier in this thread). But that's no huge problem, although I would like to solve it if anyone has any insight?

im not seeing this issue, this is on a clean install of 3.0.0 upgraded to 3.0.3 ion 64bit, so not sure why your seeing this fail, possibly a dodgy addon in xbmc?.

Once Openelec starts to boot, it can take a little while to get going. Especially if my unraid box has been idle for a while,

im personally running this all on my cache drive which i keep spun up as i have several plugins running so dont see this issue, im assuming you have pxe and/or your openelec storage set to your array then?.

just some feedback on performance, i was originally running openelec on my SSD but it died and thus moved over to pxe, for me performance is actually close to SSD, boot times are naturally a little slower, but i can still get it booted up and ready to use in around 30-40 secs which is pretty darn good. navigating around is pretty smooth perhaps a slight delay on accessing large libraries but overall im happy enough with it not to bother about buying another SSD for the foreseeable  ;D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the script error might be due to permissions - I think I might have run the newperms script on my tftpboot folder after setting things up (and before actually booting OE), that probably clobbered something somehere. So following a hint I saw in another post in this thread I've set my openelec/storage folder to have 775 perms, but have yet to boot the box to see if that has helped at all.

Could also be skin related - at the minute I'm using Ace. I also have a couple of other XBMC issues. Not ones related to OE or pxe booting, more the fact that I haven't yet tweaked XBMC as I like. Now that I'm reasonably happy with how it performs I'll get round to doing all of that and see what difference it makes.

I also run this all on my cache drive, but I think I do have that set to spin down after 30 mins or something, so that might be something to look at to try and speed up boot. But then, as you say, it's not as if it's massively slower than booting from hdd - so I might just leave it alone  ;D

Although the small delay when OE is loading the kernel and system was actually the inspiration for trying to pretty things up. The original (basic) text based pxe menu was fugly!!

As I said before, and like you, I haven't yet tried booting up the actual hardware with this menu/image combination. I have a suspicion that the 640x480 image might look a bit skewed when displayed on a 16:9 tv. Might have to do something funky with the image to get it to look right when actually in use - probably just create a 16:9 image, soemthing x 480, paste the current image in the middle and then resize (squash) it back to 640x480 and see how that looks.

interested about your notice:-

Notice: when we boot from PXE - Openelec (NFS) then openelec system work in RAM, so im add to image of openelec skin Aeon NOX (because i want to speed up this skin) - please check how now work on Atom D2700

are you saying you have compiled openelec from source and included aeon nox skin in the SYSTEM file and thus the skin is loaded in ram as well? reason im interested is that my zotac id41 is a little slow on home menu switching (even with SSD) and thus having the skin loaded in memory might be the solution. :-\