replace cache drive - keep programs, and their settings? [SOLVED]

Hello folks, I have sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd, transmission, and subsonic all running from my cache drive in their own .sickbeard/ type directories. I realized as soon as I bring a new drive online (after preclearing it) unRaid will grab it for one of the data disks. I want this new drive to be a new cache disk. In what order should I do things to ensure I get my programs and their settings (transmission torrent seeds ~120 of them) to transfer to the new drive?

I will wiki the procedure for posterity, and thank those who help in the notes.

thank you.

main cache drive description

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1731.msg11937#msg11937

Stop all plugins, stop the array, assign the new drive as a cache drive, start the array (To format it), stop the array, copy all files over from the old to the new, start the array, start plugins.

I believe anyway, I'm probably wrong, wait till someone else comments.

I realized as soon as I bring a new drive online (after preclearing it) unRaid will grab it for one of the data disks.

What made you think that?  unRAID will not 'grab' any drive - you have to manually assign it to the array as a data disk, parity disk or as a cache drive.

• 3 years later...

This is going terribly in v6 when i go to start the cache drive after assigning new one it keeps trying to start plugins that dont exist.  Not sure if this is because of the shutdown feature?  Is there a way in v6 to disable plugins from starting when you start the array?  Also no format option when array starts and my new 256gb SD drive shows up as only 367mb? Wtf?  :o

This is going terribly in v6 when i go to start the cache drive after assigning new one it keeps trying to start plugins that dont exist.  Not sure if this is because of the shutdown feature?  Is there a way in v6 to disable plugins from starting when you start the array?  Also no format option when array starts and my new 256gb SD drive shows up as only 367mb? Wtf?  :o

Restart in safe mode (its a menu option when you boot up)

For the capacity issue, either you're reading the screen wrong, or its already been formatted (or has a partition already on it).  Post a screen shot / diagnostics

Had a thought about the capacity and posted in the other thread over here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47132.msg477112#msg477112

maybe add a step to make sure all partitions are wiped if moving a drive with windows partitions :)  That helped me... Also it would be nice to have a non-safe mode option to start the array with no plugins in the gui

by the time you get to the GUI then plugins have already been loaded and started - it is part of the boot sequence, which is why it is a boot option.
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I replaced my cache drive to a new one and I followed the steps from here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

After restarting docker then the list is empty and There's no dockers containers installed.

Maybe I miss some step?  :(

I used the command:  rsync -avXH to copy all the files inside cache so the cache have these files...

thanks...

Probably docker.img got recreated. Use Community Applications - Previous Apps to add your dockers again.
Probably docker.img got recreated. Use Community Applications - Previous Apps to add your dockers again.

Hello,

Thank you trurl, I've reinstalled all my apps from there. Only in transmission client, all my torrent files were cleared but config file reminds there and runs fine.  ???

Anyway thanks for the help :)

• 1 year later...

YEA, SOMEBODY MISSED THE BOAT!!!  (And the instructions on replacing the cache drive need some revision.)

I got the same "blank" Docker with no containers after changing the cache disk Per Instructions...

because it is 'rebuilt' upon re-enabling Docker in settings.

However, after my last 'fiasco' of a Plex update 'screwing the pooch' and finding that CA Backup

WON'T RESTORE TO A KNOWN GOOD CONDITION (as of the backup made BEFORE the update),

I don't take anything for granted - including, making a (manual) backup of the docker.img file.

So, here is the proper procedure to be "up and running" without finding Docker with no containers

and having to reinstall, re-download, reconfigure, whatever.

BEFORE re-enabling Docker in the Settings (after cache disk replacement) -

copy the (manual) backup of your docker.img  file that came from the old cache drive (made BEFORE its removal) to the new cache disk

(from where ever you placed it on the array to the /mnt/cache/system/docker directory),

THEN re-enable Docker.  Everything will be as you left it, all functional (from what I witnessed), without having to spend any (unnecessary) additional time.

BTW - Ignore the message that "existing Docker image needs to be recreated due to an issue from an earlier beta of unRAID 6".

We know it's not true, but it's nice that unRAID detected the use of an existing file instead of a (an empty) rebuild.

1 hour ago, CaryV said:

YEA, SOMEBODY MISSED THE BOAT!!!  (And the instructions on replacing the cache drive need some revision.)

I got the same "blank" Docker with no containers after changing the cache disk Per Instructions...

because it is 'rebuilt' upon re-enabling Docker in settings.

However, after my last 'fiasco' of a Plex update 'screwing the pooch' and finding that CA Backup

WON'T RESTORE TO A KNOWN GOOD CONDITION (as of the backup made BEFORE the update),

I don't take anything for granted - including, making a (manual) backup of the docker.img file.

So, here is the proper procedure to be "up and running" without finding Docker with no containers

and having to reinstall, re-download, reconfigure, whatever.

BEFORE re-enabling Docker in the Settings (after cache disk replacement) -

copy the (manual) backup of your docker.img  file that came from the old cache drive (made BEFORE its removal) to the new cache disk

(from where ever you placed it on the array to the /mnt/cache/system/docker directory),

THEN re-enable Docker.  Everything will be as you left it, all functional (from what I witnessed), without having to spend any (unnecessary) additional time.

BTW - Ignore the message that "existing Docker image needs to be recreated due to an issue from an earlier beta of unRAID 6".

We know it's not true, but it's nice that unRAID detected the use of an existing file instead of a (an empty) rebuild.

Starting with a fresh docker.img isn't difficult and shouldn't cause problems beyond just the small effort of doing Previous Apps. And it can sometimes fix problems, so it is often recommended.

The application data for a docker isn't in docker.img (or shouldn't be if you did it right), the run parameters which tells it how to download the docker code, how to map the volumes, etc., isn't in docker.img (it is on flash where Previous Apps gets it when you add a previous app), and a fresh copy of the docker code is downloaded when you add a Previous App.

So, there really isn't anything in docker.img that you need and it is OK to start over with a fresh one. And if you have misconfigured something, or run out of space in docker.img for some reason, then starting with a fresh one is usually the easiest solution.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, RichardU said:

I'm reading: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

I'm stuck on the logic of this:

3. Click on Shares and set all shares present on your Cache disk to Use cache disk: Yes. This will cause the Mover to move all shares OFF the Cache drive!

If you don't want shares on the Cache drive, wouldn't you say No?

Richard

If you turn on the Help in the Calibre GUI it will give more explanation about this setting.   The setting affects where new files are initially written, and then what subsequent action mover should take.    A value of ‘Yes’ means new files are written to the cache and when it runs mover must move any files written to the cache to the array.    A value of ‘No’ means new files are written directly to the array and mover must take no action on any files belonging to this share.

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you turn on the Help in the Calibre GUI it will give more explanation about this setting.   The setting affects where new files are initially written, and then what subsequent action mover should take.    A value of ‘Yes’ means new files are written to the cache and when it runs mover must move any files written to the cache to the array.    A value of ‘No’ means new files are written directly to the array and mover must take no action on any files belonging to this share.

Thanks.  Although now you've got me trying to figure out what the heck is the Calibre GUI. Does it simply mean the unRAID GUI? Calibre seems to be an e-book plugin. 

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you turn on the Help in the Calibre unRAID GUI it will give more explanation about this setting.   The setting affects where new files are initially written, and then what subsequent action mover should take.    A value of ‘Yes’ means new files are written to the cache and when it runs mover must move any files written to the cache to the array.    A value of ‘No’ means new files are written directly to the array and mover must take no action on any files belonging to this share.

FTFY

And later on it will have you set anything you want moved back to cache to cache-prefer. Possibly you had them set to cache-only before, but mover won't touch cache-only.

Here is a more complete explanation:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

1 hour ago, RichardU said:

Thanks.  Although now you've got me trying to figure out what the heck is the Calibre GUI. Does it simply mean the unRAID GUI? Calibre seems to be an e-book plugin. 

Must have been typed before I was fully awake :).    I should have just left it as a simple ‘GUI’ ?