LimeTech website hack update

limetech

Fixed now.

The site is now wordpress-based and we gave it a "facelift".

The "new" site is online a few days before I wanted it to, but due to the constant hacking I decided what-the-hell? and after a few last-minute tweaks, it's now online.  :P

Basically, the look and feel is similar to the old site, but there are many more things we can do with it now.  In particular it's "responsive" so that it will function better on smartphones and tablets as well as desktops.  There are numerous other changes that will make moving forward much easier.

Please let me know what you think!

Tom -- I noticed the "Plus" key now says "support up to 7 hard drives"  (up 1 from the previous 6)

Does it also support a cache drive?  .. or is the cache one of the 7?

More precisely, does this mean a Plus system can have parity plus 6 data drives?

Tom -- I noticed the "Plus" key now says "support up to 7 hard drives"  (up 1 from the previous 6)

Does it also support a cache drive?  .. or is the cache one of the 7?

More precisely, does this mean a Plus system can have parity plus 6 data drives?

Currently in 5.0-rc, Plus supports 6 array drives (parity + 5 data), plus the Cache drive, and also does not support Active Directory.  Release 5.0 "final" Plus will support 7 total drives and have no other restrictions (and Basic will support 3 drives with no other restrictions).  So yes, Plus could have parity + 6 data drives.

... and I was thinking that I'd have to upgrade my license imminently!  Well, I guess that depends on the final v5.0 release date!

PS.  I like the first blog on the new website!  I know that it's not good policy to release actual numbers of licenses issued, but I'm sure that a few of us would be interested to know whether we are the sole unRAID user in our country - for instance, am I the only one in Philippines? I ought to make it my mission to ensure that this is not so!  However, in a country where the 'typical' daily wage is less than USD10, the market will be somewhat limited!

... and I was thinking that I'd have to upgrade my license imminently!  Well, I guess that depends on the final v5.0 release date!

PS.  I like the first blog on the new website!  I know that it's not good policy to release actual numbers of licenses issued, but I'm sure that a few of us would be interested to know whether we are the sole unRAID user in our country - for instance, am I the only one in Philippines? I ought to make it my mission to ensure that this is not so!  However, in a country where the 'typical' daily wage is less than USD10, the market will be somewhat limited!

That is a really nice graphic.    That actual numbers would indeed be interesting to know, but I doubt Tom actually knows the REAL totals, since the FREE version is often all folks use.  This forum's membership list has  28,204 members registered, but the vast majority of them have never posted.    I suspect a lot of them downloaded UnRAID, but aren't actually using it -- but it's really impossible to know.    Clearly the number of Plus and Pro registrations is known -- but those may not be numbers Tom wants to actually release  :)

So yes, Plus could have parity + 6 data drives.

Excellent.  One of my favorite cases for an UnRAID server is the Lian-Li PC-Q25B, which has 5 trayless drive trays and a cage at the bottom that will hold 2 more drives.  So this now fits perfectly with the limitations of a Plus license  :)

... now if someone would just make a mini-ITX motherboard with 7 SATA ports !!  (There are a couple good choices with 6, with a PCIe slot that can hold a controller for the 7th)

Guess the next UnRAID box I build will be a 24TB system in that little case  :)

The new website has a new unRAID server product on it.  The description suggests that it will ship with unRAID v5, so maybe we're getting close to the release.

You missed the pre-announcement of this product eight months ago? Here

...I liked that case right away when Tom announced it back then...still in love with it...rackmount case...10x3.5 and 4x2.5 disks....a lot of options in there, not only for unRAID alone

As is seems, it is like a non-standard or rather OEM/custom design, based on the E306 model for limetech?

Anyone knows of a distributor for iStarUSA in Europe (Germany preferred)?

Excellent.  One of my favorite cases for an UnRAID server is the Lian-Li PC-Q25B, which has 5 trayless drive trays and a cage at the bottom that will hold 2 more drives.  So this now fits perfectly with the limitations of a Plus license  :)

... now if someone would just make a mini-ITX motherboard with 7 SATA ports !!  (There are a couple good choices with 6, with a PCIe slot that can hold a controller for the 7th)

Guess the next UnRAID box I build will be a 24TB system in that little case  :)

Today's your lucky day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157357

...I liked that case right away when Tom announced it back then...still in love with it...rackmount case...10x3.5 and 4x2.5 disks....a lot of options in there, not only for unRAID alone

I use those exact iStarUSA drive cages in my server. I removed the 70mm fans and added some 70-80mm shrouds and 80mm fans because I wasn't sure if the 70s could do the job. I'm interested to see if Tom found them to be adequate. I just love the way they look, and the color options.

I use those exact iStarUSA drive cages in my server. I removed the 70mm fans and added some 70-80mm shrouds and 80mm fans because I wasn't sure if the 70s could do the job. I'm interested to see if Tom found them to be adequate. I just love the way they look, and the color options.

The Newegg site shows 80mm fans already for the 4-in-3 trayless units;  with 70mm fans on the 3-in-2 units ... and doesn't have any 5-in-3 units that are trayless.    Which ones are you using?

... and what kind of drive temps do you see with these?

Basic will support 3 drives with no other restrictions

I'm not personally interested in such a limited system, but am curious if that means the Basic version will now support a cache drive.

e.g. can a free v5 system have a parity drive, one data drive, and a cache drive?