i hope i win the contest for "ugliest unRAID build"!  Here is "Frankenputer".... I had all the parts to make a server EXCEPT for the case so I made a "case" from 1x3 boards on hand.  It gets good air flow , though.

I doubt Tom's going to aware an "ugliest UnRAID" title ==> but this should surely be a strong contender for the "most unique" build  :)

... it actually looks pretty good !!

I don't think the tiny slider looks very good next to the static images. I suggest a single static image to represent custom builds, then a large slider on another page. I'm also not a fan of the 'timer' bar, I find it distracting. Finally, for the photo of the Supermicro chassis that you credited to me, please use prostuff1's name instead, as he actually built that one (I know I didn't specify in my original post). Thanks!

I don't think the tiny slider looks very good next to the static images. I suggest a single static image to represent custom builds, then a large slider on another page. I'm also not a fan of the 'timer' bar, I find it distracting. Finally, for the photo of the Supermicro chassis that you credited to me, please use prostuff1's name instead, as he actually built that one (I know I didn't specify in my original post). Thanks!

Will do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tom here is STower02 modified from a 13bay duplicator case.

I had to add a m/b tray to the case by cutting it down now I have extended it out the back with aluminium angle with screws & pop rivets.

it has 5 4:3 cooler master cages (I added the extra drive bay over the power supply).

I am running rc16c pro with 12x 2tb up top & I have 6x 2tb in the bottom 2 drive cages.

I have figure out how to install 10 hdd into 5 bays &

just need to mount a fan in front of them for cooling.

Steve

stower02.png.889b975c70397d7de713c4dec5aa328e.png

• 3 weeks later...

One from my (initial) Unraid server build.  It's name is "Pandora" (was Tower for longest time, but didn't go well with the rest of the Greek mythology theme I had going on; Hermes is my pop/smtp server, Hephaestus is my firewall, etc.).

It's long been in its closet, so this is what I have.

loveunraid.png.eeaddda5ce7c8295250b7aba4b8f4336.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The 6TB WD60EFRX Reds have a restriction. They are certified for max. 8 drives in a NAS system.

Now I'm wondering if I can put more than 8 drives of that type in my 15-drive MD-1500/LL and MD-1510/LL original LimeTech builds. So, do the LimeTech builds act like a NAS - whatever that means?

Thanks in advance.

You can put as many of them as you'd like in your server.  WD's comment that "... WD Red NAS Hard Drives are designed specifically for NAS systems that have 1 to 8 drive bays "  is a guideline, but not an absolute restriction.  I suspect the 8-drive limit is to minimize any vibrational issues when 8 drives are mounted in the same cage => but even then the anti-vibration technology in the drives is unlikely to make any difference with more drives.  Further, UnRAID doesn't work like a traditional RAID ... i.e. all drives aren't normally spinning at once (only during parity syncs/checks or rebuilds).

Yes, UnRAID is a NAS (network attached storage) => but it doesn't act like many NAS units, where all drives are spinning at the same time.

The 6TB WD60EFRX Reds have a restriction. They are certified for max. 8 drives in a NAS system.

Now I'm wondering if I can put more than 8 drives of that type in my 15-drive MD-1500/LL and MD-1510/LL original LimeTech builds. So, do the LimeTech builds act like a NAS - whatever that means?

Thanks in advance.

This post is identical to this post from another user. There are many more like this. I believe this user is a bot.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should be fine using more than 8 in your system

• 1 month later...

This post is identical to this post from another user. There are many more like this. I believe this user is a bot.

Good guess: My children think I'm a bot...

The original question is from me. I do own these two machines. Currently there are 18 drives per machine with 7 6TBs per machine. No problems so far ...

Wondering what happens if I add more.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...