Icy Box HDD Caddies

jj0076

Hi,

I can find information on this forum about the Icy Dock range of caddies but there doesn't seem to be an info about the similar sounding Icy Box products. I have been looking at the IB-555SSK and the IB-545SSK both of which are 5 into 3 caddies. Problem is I can't really find sufficient info to tell me

a) what the actual difference is between the two; and

b) if they are actually any good !!

Does anyone use either of these or know of their reputation as good, bad or ugly ??

Thanks in advance.

The Icy Box units are very similar to the IcyDock as well as several other 5-in-3 units.  There are a few very nice reviews of them on European and Australian sites; and even a brief thread on this forum [http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8421.0 ].

They look quite nice; have nice status lights and a simply locking mechanism;  an 80mm fan and adjustable temperature alarms -- basically the same as most other good hot-swap cages.

As near as I can tell, they're not sold in the US ... but if you're in a country where they're available, these certainly seem like a reasonable choice for hot-swap cages.

..I believe the 545 model is a trayless design and the 555 model has got trays.

See:

http://www.raidsonic.de/data/datasheet/icybox/EN/datasheet_ib-555_554_553_e.pdf

http://www.raidsonic.de/data/datasheet/icybox/EN/datasheet_ib-545_544_543_e.pdf

I used the previous model (not dual-channel at that time) with trays...worked OK, but fan was very loud...needs some welding skills to replace it.

Excellent thanks for the info. One of the reviews of these on the scan.co.uk website stated that the fan was easily replaced with a quiet after market 80mm fan. I'll probably check this out a bit more and go for it.

Hi,

I can find information on this forum about the Icy Dock range of caddies but there doesn't seem to be an info about the similar sounding Icy Box products. I have been looking at the IB-555SSK and the IB-545SSK both of which are 5 into 3 caddies. Problem is I can't really find sufficient info to tell me

a) what the actual difference is between the two; and

b) if they are actually any good !!

Does anyone use either of these or know of their reputation as good, bad or ugly ??

Thanks in advance.

Been looking at the Icy Box IB-545SSK from scan or amazon.co.uk also, can you let me know what you think of it if you get it.

I'm mainly interested in the fan noise, server lives in the living room and the 3 4in3 CM Modules i current use don't really make any noise.

Also be nice to know what temps you get as my drives sit around mid twenties early thirty's at the moment.

Been looking at the Icy Box IB-545SSK from scan or amazon.co.uk also, can you let me know what you think of it if you get it.

I'm mainly interested in the fan noise, server lives in the living room and the 3 4in3 CM Modules i current use don't really make any noise.

Also be nice to know what temps you get as my drives sit around mid twenties early thirty's at the moment.

One nice feature of the Icy Box units is a very-easy-to-remove fan ... so you can easily replace it with any 80mm unit ... including the very quiet Noctua NF-R8 units (there are other quiet fans that cost less, but the Noctua is VERY quiet).

However ... (a) No 80mm fan will provide the airflow you're getting with the 120mm units in the CM modules unless you run the fan at much higher rpm (= more noise);  and (b)  no hot-swap case is going to cool your drives as well as the CM modules.    If you want hot-swap cages, then you'll just have to live with slightly higher drive temps.  If you're simply looking to add another drive or two, you may want to consider a small external case that can hold your added drives.    ... or if your case still has a couple 5.25" bays available, get a 3-in-2 cage.

Archived