4TB Seagate Internal Drive $150 @ Amazon

flips

Ugh.  That sucks.  Sorry m8.  And if you are going to do a 4TB it takes almost a week for 3 preclears.  I don’t usually have a spare, but after waiting a week for that 4TB to finish I grabbed a 4TB spare on the last deal that came up.

You could do this external for $160:

This isn’t the exact model that I got, so I’m not sure what drive is in it, you might want to research a bit before ordering…

Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV4000100)

flips

haha, thanks.

I'm contemplating keeping my server down until they come cheap(ish) again, versus just springing for new drives now.

Although, I never realized how quiet it becomes when I shut down the server, so that's a small plus -- I'll probably be searching for a new place to locate my server afterwards!

It's the first hard drive I've ever had that died! Originally was an external one...I believe it was the first 3TB external I bought a few years back. I wish it was one in warranty instead!

the external I mentioned above just dropped to down to $150...

Amazon had the restriction of 4hdds, so i had to call my brother to order another 4.  So 8x 4tb seagates on my way  :)

Wow.  I'm totally jealous..  32 TB....  I have only 200 gigs free...  I am in the process of getting 2TB replaced on warranty, so at least I will be adding a measly 2TB soon.

flips

the external I mentioned above just dropped to down to $150...

Amazon had the restriction of 4hdds, so i had to call my brother to order another 4.  So 8x 4tb seagates on my way  :)

Wow.  I'm totally jealous..  32 TB....  I have only 200 gigs free...  I am in the process of getting 2TB replaced on warranty, so at least I will be adding a measly 2TB soon.

flips

Damnit, I wonna pull the trigger on that one -- but the warranty!

Damnit, I wonna pull the trigger on that one -- but the warranty!

Yeah. I just bought 2x 4TB Hitachi HDS724040ALE640 Deskstar 7K4000 because of the 3 year warranty. Buying any drive with a one year warranty is not my idea of a good time. The Hitachi drives are so reliable[/img]

I personally have a good experience with Hitachi also, and im keeping 8x 2tb for now, but Hitachi drives are expensive, specially the 4tb are like $220-250, while this are $150.  RMA for me its expensive, i have to pay like $40 to ship them back, i havent return a hdd in the last 5 years due to cost.  So im betting on cheaper and replace them if they fail, kinda expensive... but thats my life.

One thing that sold me on this drives were comments on SPCR about they bieng very quiet drives, and even though i know my server is not going to be really quiet... i do appriciate a drive that does have to loud noise.

Btw since newegg release the seagates on the shell shocker deals for $150 today, amazon already price match them again.

Scan (UK) recently dropped the price about £17 on the Hitachi drives and they are now about the same price as the Seagate drives.

I haven't had to return any Hitachis yet, but here in Merry Old England, that should cost no more than about £6 if I have to pay at all (UK distance selling laws favour the consumer).