udevd[670]: worker [688] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100

Update: I've updated the subject as I've been able to get to the syslog. See reply 3 for the logs.

I apologize and I'm still fairly new to unRAID. I've been running 4.7 along for a few years now fine and I've got a new add on card and two new drives to add in so I figured I'd get 12a up and running first and then start the rest.

So, I followed the directions, I renamed my go file, and edited it to be a generic one, copied over the bzimage and bzroot files and went to start up the server and nothing.

So I plug a monitor and keyboard into it and I see that it's asking me for unRaid login, so I enter root with no password

So I do have a console but I can't get to the website. The ifconfig file is showing one address 192.168.1.31 and my network.cfg file is showing 192.168.1.100, not sure if that is an issue or not.

So I figure I'd start with the syslog. I tried the following from the command prompt.

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

chmod a-x /boot/syslog.txt

When I'm on the console and cd to /boot and do an ls, I see the syslog.txt file. But when I pull the USB drive out of the machine and stick it on my Windows PC, I'm not seeing the file on my USB drive anywhere.  I've got hidden files viewable on the pc.

I've tried to reinsert the flash drive back into the unraid box and when I go back to look at /boot I don't see the file I created.

I know a long while back, I changed the root password, could that be causing my issues? I noticed when I logged in as root it wasn't asking for my password. I did delete the config/passwd config/smbpasswd files like the release notes indicated. It's like it's seeing the USB drive but not seeing it.

Thanks, Josh

Okay, I've done more trouble shooting.

1. Ran chkdsk on the flash drive and it came back with no errors.

2. I copied the entire root directory of 12a to my flash drive and ran make_bootable and it's still acting the same.

3. I tried removing the secrets.tbd file and nothing it's still behaving the same.

I was able to get 4.7 back up and running, almost like I had it before. I lost my root password change and tried again with 12a and again no luck.

I have found this, when I got 4.7 running and looked at the files in /boot all the files had permissions of wrxwrxwrx (777) for all the files in the config directory. When I shut the server down, I saw a message on the screen about remounting root filesystem read only.

Right after I stopped the array and powered down 4.7, I stuck the flash drive in a Linux machine I had, and the config directory and all the files are now show rw-r--r-- (644). So something in the shut down changed the permissions of the files. But all the files and directories are showing.

So my problem is something change those permissions and it isn't letting unRaid see them when it boots backup.  Because when I boot 12a, at the console I only see the config directory with rwxr-xr-x (755) and no other files.

Update: More digging, it seems to be my powerdown script that is causing it to mount the files as read only. I do have the Clean Powerdown package enabled and set to auto install. So should I just uninstall that? I see a command in the script to /bin/mount/ -v -n -o remount,ro / that I'm guessing is causing the issue.  I'm wondering also about using the original go command with the unmenu and package installs instead of the generic one.

-Josh

Update: I've reformatted my flashdrive and put the 12a files on it and just the following files from my old install Shares folder, disk.cfg, ident.cfg, network.cfg, share.cfg, super.dat.  I left the go from 12a and I didn't put a secrets.tbd file.

Still no go, but I was able to telnet into the server and with putty get some screenshots of the syslog. I'm seeing the following which may be were it is stopping.

May 25 20:55:07 Tower udevd[670]: worker [688] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100

May 25 20:55:07 Tower udevd[670]: worker [688] failed while handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2'

May 25 20:55:07 Tower udevd[670]: worker [708] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100

May 25 20:55:07 Tower udevd[670]: worker [708] failed while handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.5/0000:0e:00.0'

May 25 20:55:07 Tower udevd[670]: worker [701] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100

May 25 20:55:07 Tower udevd[670]: worker [701] failed while handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:0f:02.0'

May 25 20:55:08 Tower udevd[670]: worker [803] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100

May 25 20:55:08 Tower udevd[670]: worker [803] failed while handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0/host8/target8:0:0/8:0:0:0'

I've heard about these being plugin related, but with fresh 12a files and only the files listed above, I don't have any plugin's installed. I've attached the syslog.

PS. I copied over my 4.7 files and the server boots right up.

-Josh

syslog05242013_512a.txt

Still seems to be related to mounting the flash drive and or drives. I've tried different drives and had the same results. So I don't think it's my flash drive. I've also tried different usb slots on the MB, same result. I was able to get emhttp manually started and got the web server up. It shows a flash drive but no info. I was able to get another syslog after I started emhttp.

I tried 11a and got similar errors, but I only tried it briefly.

12astartup.PNG.90ee7e056cd6f36573508f7867a65ad4.PNG

syslog05242013_512a_w_emhttp.txt

Yes, I did read through the Wiki article but didn't see anything that stood out relating to this.  I'm using the stock go file which matches the wiki page. On the release page, in the  past I've tried just copying over the bzimage and bzroot files, that didn't work. So I've set the drive up as I mentioned above, reformated with freshly downloaded 12a files (checksum matched) with my Shares folder, disk.cfg, ident.cfg, network.cfg, share.cfg, and super.dat.

At this point the server isn't "coming up all the way" as emhttp isn't running, it isn't getting to the go script. So the array is showing "Stopped: no devices". I can see my three disks, just not my flash drive which is where are the config is.

-Josh

I went back through RC versions, It looks like I can get 10 to come up and the array starts successfully. 10 has come up on me twice, and twice it has hung with a "Waiting for USB Subsystem" message on the screen for more than 5 minutes. The two times it's come up I've seen the same error on the screen, nothing in the log, but the system did eventually come up. I've attached the syslog from 10. Right now I'm waiting for the permission utility to do it's thing before doing too much.

So I know 10 is on kernel 3.4.24 and 11a is 3.4.26, is my problem likely a kernel error or a unRaid error?

-Josh

syslog10_running2.txt

It's an older system. I'm using the most current Bios, but it's still from 2008.

SuperMicro PDSMi http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/pd/E7230/pdsmi.cfm

- Intel® E7230 (Mukilteo) Chipset

- 1x Intel® 82573L PCI-e Gigabit LAN

- 1x Intel® 82573V PCI-e Gigabit LAN

- SATA ICH7R Controller

- ATI RageXL Graphics

Intel Pentium D 2.8

4GB Memory

Lexar Firefly USB Drive

WD Green Drives

No addin cards installed at this time.