BitTorrent Sync (BTSync) Plugin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance we can get this plugin to update to the latest version of Btsync 1.2.92? I believe I have a memory leak issue with version 1.2.67 that I am hoping an update to the app will fix.

I've updated the plugin.  Had to change the download URL as somewhere along the lines it stopped being http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com and changed to http://download-lb.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/linux-i386/track/stable.

Also had to update the plugin to accommodate these changes so the the update app function worked from the plugin webgui.

Go to BTSync plugin settings in the unRAID webgui, there should be a message indicating there is an update to the plugin from 2.0 to 2.1.  Perform the update.  There should then be a message indicating there is an update to the application from 1.2.67 to 1.2.92.  Perform the update and this should bring the application up to date. 

If this breaks in the future, then it's also possible to manually dump a copy of the latest application into the plugin.  To do this download the "i386" version (not the glib version) and make sure you name it "btsync_i386.tar.gz".  Save it to your flash drive; /boot/config/plugins/btsync.  You'll probably see a version in there already as the plugin stores it so that it doesn't have to download everytime.  Overwrite it.  Reboot your unRAID.

Regards,

overbyrn

overbyrn -

I performed upgrade as you described below but am now seeing an "illegal argument" msg when I try to use the BT Sync web GUI.  I stopped/restarted BTsync a few times but no luck.  Any ideas?  Have not used BTSync in a while but want to revisit it.  Thanks. 

Go to BTSync plugin settings in the unRAID webgui, there should be a message indicating there is an update to the plugin from 2.0 to 2.1.  Perform the update.  There should then be a message indicating there is an update to the application from 1.2.67 to 1.2.92.  Perform the update and this should bring the application up to date. 

overbyrn -

I performed upgrade as you described below but am now seeing an "illegal argument" msg when I try to use the BT Sync web GUI.  I stopped/restarted BTsync a few times but no luck.  Any ideas?  Have not used BTSync in a while but want to revisit it.  Thanks. 

I'm afraid I don't have a functioning unRAID system with which to test and won't for many months.  I'm not sure what advice I can offer as currently I don't understand where the error is coming from.  It would be helpful to know if BTSync is running and if not, whether to assume the illegal argument msg is in some way the reason it is not running.  Can you provide a screen shot of the error msg?

I have the plugin installed and running on unRAID Server Pro version: 5.0.5. The plugin states running on port 50001, I click that and am taken to the webgui, on here I can not generate a secret or add a folder or clicking Preferences button does nothing also.

I have btsync installed at /mnt/cache/appdata/btsynch/ and the plugin plg is located in /boot/config/plugins with the newest btsync_i386.tar.gz located in the /boot/config/plugins/btsync folder.

Does anyone have an idea what I may have done wrong?

I have deleted all browser cookies.

I figured it out and now have it all working by using the ip address instead of my unraid server name. :)

Thanks for the plugin, hope it will work great.

I installed the plugin via the directions and it shows up in my Dynamix settings page, but on the settings page for this it shows the application as unknown for "local" and status as "not installed".  I can enable/disable the service, but I can't actually access the GUI or anything.  What did I miss here?

Thanks.

I installed the plugin via the directions and it shows up in my Dynamix settings page, but on the settings page for this it shows the application as unknown for "local" and status as "not installed".  I can enable/disable the service, but I can't actually access the GUI or anything.  What did I miss here?

Thanks.

Nevermind.  I figured it out.  For some reason when the plugin installed it placed the tarball of the app in /boot/config/plugins and not in /boot/config/plugins/btsync.  I copied it over there and ran the installplg command again and now it's OK and working.

Might I suggest on the first post to put directions for this just in case it happens to someone else?

So I have another problem using this that maybe someone can help with.  I'm only going to be syncing locally so I disabled UPNP on the unRAID plugin and also the app on my Mac Mini.  When I disabled it on my Mini I immediately saw the port disappear from my router's port mappings.  However the plugin/app on unRAID not only is still sending a port, but every time I restart the service it adds another port and leaves the old port behind!  I have no idea what this thing is doing here.

I posted over on the BTSync forums, but I wasn't sure if this was  a special case with unRAID or not.  Can someone please let me know?

So I have another problem using this that maybe someone can help with.  I'm only going to be syncing locally so I disabled UPNP on the unRAID plugin and also the app on my Mac Mini.  When I disabled it on my Mini I immediately saw the port disappear from my router's port mappings.  However the plugin/app on unRAID not only is still sending a port, but every time I restart the service it adds another port and leaves the old port behind!  I have no idea what this thing is doing here.

I posted over on the BTSync forums, but I wasn't sure if this was  a special case with unRAID or not.  Can someone please let me know?

Ok...  whatever this behavior is, it's still occurring on the desktop app even with UPNP disabled.  I guess there's no way to keep this thing from opening ports to the outside even when it's just used internally?

Does anybody here have a solution to not have the config dir (where not only the config file is in) on the cache drive or the flash drive?

The simple problem is that BTSync keeps the cache drive spinning because it continuously writes some data in hidden folders inside the config dir. My solution till now was to have the config dir on the flash drive, but know i think that might have cause my last flash drive to fail.

One solution would be to place the config into the folder structure that unRaid expanse into  the Ram on boot. Simple problem, when you restart your server the config dir is gone. So it must be saved before a reboot, an be created and filled on startup.

Has somebody done that already?

My solution in to have an ssd as the cache drive and set it to never sleep. All my other plugins save their configuration files on the cache as well and it works great. Besides, I wouldn't want the cache sleeping anyway because then I would have to wait for spin up every time I wanted to write to my unraid.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

i'm currently encountering an issue with the BTSync plugin. From what i can see from the latest date of upload to the backup folder, the last time BTSync actually worked was on Feb 6th, more than two months ago. Granted, maybe i should have kept a closer look to this but i supposed that i could set it and forget about it.

Anyway, i tried to reinstall from scratch, that is:

- deleting every trace of BTSync on the flash drive and rebooting the server;

- downloading and installing the latest version of the .plg found here;

- installing as suggested.

The problem is, when did all of the above, the plugin setting page says, for Application, "Local version: UNKNOWN", and suggests that i download and install it. When i click the button to download and install, it seems it does just that, without any warning or visible error message. Is this similar to Acurcione’s issue, even though I don’t use Dynamix?

Thanks.

Nevermind.  I figured it out.  For some reason when the plugin installed it placed the tarball of the app in /boot/config/plugins and not in /boot/config/plugins/btsync.  I copied it over there and ran the installplg command again and now it's OK and working.

Might I suggest on the first post to put directions for this just in case it happens to someone else?

As far as I am concerned, I can’t even enable the service (nor access the GUI) ?

Only you who knows the secret string can link up your shares. But it does have some sort of open tracker so that your computers can connect across the internet (which I think you can even disable). I still keep my password files and vpn key files encrypted just in case. 

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'm trying the latest plugin on an Unraid 5.0.5 system. I downloaded the plg, and copied it to my flash drive in config/plugins (had to create that directory).

From Web GUI / Settings I can enter BTSync which gives me a status of: NOT INSTALLED. I hit the install button and it looks like something is happening, but it never installs. On my server monitor, I see several of these messages:

/etc/rc.d/rc.btsync: line 361: /usr/local/btsync/btsync: No such file or directory

What am I missing?

Thanks, Richard

It's still happening. At least it just did to me.

It's still happening. At least it just did to me.

I've pushed an updated version (2.2) of the btsync plugin to my github repository.  Please try to update using the BTSync webgui page from unRAID.  I have changed the download method of the btsync application as for some reason the plugin is reporting the download as successful but no resultant btsync application is being downloaded to the plugin sub-directory.

Give that a try and let me know if the problems persist.

Regards,

overbyrn