Tom#2 Recently Joined LimeTech

Hi All,

My name is Tom Harms (Tom#2) and I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member to the LimeTech family.  Tom #1 brought me on board to be director of marketing and business development, with focus areas to include the website and forum.  I joined a couple of weeks ago and am in ramp-up mode in all areas of the business.  I am definitely not a clone of Tom#1 and won't be able to address technical questions, but a few of my goals with respect to the forum is to help Tom:

a) be aware of and track issues and opportunities that the moderators and I notice from the forum;

b) provide more regular updates (yeah, I know this has been a big issue for many of you);

c) focus on the technical side of the business.

Prior to joining LimeTech, I spent most of my career at Hewlett-Packard where I held a variety of marketing and management positions.  In my last role at HP, I worked for the Global Marketing Organization as a Social Media Manager.  In this role, I managed our 3rd-party social media community platform (Lithium) as well as a team that launched new forums and blogs.

I am very excited to join Tom#1 in his endeavor to provide a innovative, cost-effective mass-storage solutions.  If you want to reach me directly, just send an e-mail to [email protected].

Cheers,

Tom#2

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't say I'm gonna buy another HP printer anytime soon ;)

But seriously, I think this is a very wise move and I wish all the best to both of you.

I really hope this is going to be a breaking point and unRAID development will start off.

Hello Tom#2,

Good to see another limetech employee on the forum.

a) be aware of and track issues and opportunities that the moderators and I notice from the forum;

I think the issues and bug tracking should be done on another platform other that the forum - this has been discussed many times in the past.

b) provide more regular updates (yeah, I know this has been a big issue for many of you);

Nice !!!

What do you mean by this?

Good luck and may we all enjoy the fruit of your work.

Hi Tom#2

I'm sure that we are all hoping that you will not also ignore the majority of the posts seeking clarification.

What light can you shed on the main web page advertising servers with V5 that have features that do not exist in V5?  Can you confirm if the intention is to add more features to V5 before it goes final?

LOVE HP, still running my very first LaserJet (2 tune up kits later), and the lastest gen Laserjet, none have failed me or my clients. Can't speak for the personal/home office stuff.

Now when it comes to servers, all my beloved HP DL's series and HP SAN sit on TOP of the blasted unRAID server. Love, love, love HP in the enterprise.

Thanks for the introduction, guess Tom #1 had no time to introduce you huh, no worries, welcome.

One question, you state "won't be able to address technical questions" but then mention later "c) focus on the technical side of the business." so can you clarify some more on what technical aspects you will be handling. Thx

-- and two minutes later after posting the mans offline.

Edit: PC LOAD LETTER ??!?!?

Paper cassette... Load Letter [sized paper]. how hard is that?!

lol I loved my old late 90's HP Deskjet printer. That thing was a workhorse that could be used to prop up a car to change the oil!

Welcome on board.

Seems like the community, more than developers, is where the real support comes from. I get that though, a Pro version costs what, $100? Not much considering how intensely I use the server. The unRaid community has been essential to building maintaining and upgrading the product.

I would like to see standardization of plugins and unraid documentation. I'm glad Limetech brought on more help. Its a great product, has a priceless community, and real potential to grow where no other products can compare.

Looking forward to more good things!

Drew

One question, you state "won't be able to address technical questions" but then mention later "c) focus on the technical side of the business." so can you clarify some more on what technical aspects you will be handling. Thx

He said 'a few of my goals with respect to the forum is to help Tom: .... c) focus on the technical side of the business.' 

I'm assuming he means that he is going to help Tom #1 to focus on the technical side of the business, by doing A) and B).  That's how I read it anyway.

On another note, welcome aboard Tom #2 !

This is going to get confusing with two Toms!  ;)

Welcome :)

I really recommend you to consider a bug tracking systems.

When a user submit a bug - they will need to select Unraid version first and describe the problem.

Staffs will need to select a status such as 'Cannot Reproduce', 'Fixed', 'Not a Bug' 'Will be Fix'

Have a look at this bug tracking system: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/?sort_col=record_updated&sort_order=desc&per_page=25

Amen !!!

Welcome aboard.

One MAJOR update you could provide is the STATUS of v5 !!    Intimate details not needed ... but just an idea of how many issues remain for resolution; perhaps an educated guess at the timeline; etc.

Welcome, it is indeed encouraging to see Tom#1 investing in marketing, communication and support. Unraid can only improve with proper product management discipline.

I say discipline deliberately because without it things become UNPREDICTABLE. Users (and potential users) need to know there is a business plan with a visible product roadmap. Does this mean that the product roadmap is set in stone? Of course not, but LimeTech need to aim for a much more predictable time interval between releases. What features are in each release may change depending on bugs, user requests and competitive factors.  There should be a fixed period before release (inc Beta's) where feature candidates are locked down, this includes ANY changes to the core product. If the Product Roadmap does need to be changed make that official and push it out to the Forum. Right now we have total confusion about what new features are in V5 and what bugs will be resolved. You can't please all of the people all of the time but you can be predictable and transparent about what is happening.

When I selected Unraid as my NAS it was the user Forum that clinched it for me. I lurked for over a month before deciding to buy. Not only were the key members professional & knowledgable but they were extremely patient with the less technical users asking basic questions. I have learned a lot just from reading these guys posts. I realize that LimeTech cannot respond to support issues raised by every user but consideration should be given to a Limetech prioritized support for those users who have contributed so much and helped so many.

Lots of potential to make things better and grow the Unraid user base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome and for all your words of advice.

Point of clarification:

a few of my goals with respect to the forum is to help Tom:

Some of you were confused about c).  I am not focusing on the technical side of the business, but a goal  is to "help Tom" do this (yeah, I could have worded this better).