Tom#2 Recently Joined LimeTech

As former user of unRAID i want to welcome you Tom Harms.

I stopped using unRAID because of the lack of communication and slow development. In my opinion unRAID is very interesting solution for cheap redundant media storage. Also unRAID has a great community that is the reason why always visits the forums from time to time. I'll hope for better times because unRAID can be so much more! I'll hope this time has come and with the reinforcement. Now Tom #1 can focus more on development. Maybe this is the time for me to build a new unRAID server!

Regards,

Marcel 

HP Laserjet 4 printers where absolute work horses.

after 16 years , we just got rid of one in work for a newer hp (newer ones not great)

i think if hp continued on producing the laserjet 4 they would have been out of business, no need to upgrade /change printers!

Trust me, they made plenty of money on the countless "maintenance kits" that were installed in those printers over the years.

HP Laserjet 4 printers where absolute work horses.

after 16 years , we just got rid of one in work for a newer hp (newer ones not great)

i think if hp continued on producing the laserjet 4 they would have been out of business, no need to upgrade /change printers!

The 4200 series were great too. We've still got tons of them at work. Just replace the fuser every half a million pages or so and the they keep chugging along.

Yep, HP lasers are superb workhorses.    And it's amazing how inexpensive they are these days ... I've got a really nice unit with auto-duplexing that cost less than my first 9-pin dot matrix printer did !!  [Of course that was ~ 1977 and the printer was ~ $1,000]

But as much as we all like HP, Tom#2 no longer works there -- let's hope he brings some of the "HP Way" to Limetech !!

But as much as we all like HP, Tom#2 no longer works there -- let's hope he brings some of the "HP Way" to Limetech !!

After seeing what happened to WebOS, I hope not.

Hopefully Tom 2 or Jerry stays true to the statement of a release next week otherwise I'll lose even more confidence in LimeTech.

I spent most of my career at Hewlett-Packard

Have I ever told you about every HP printer I've ever owned?

They don't work. They get stuck, the support refuse to help, the printers likes to random DC from my WIFI.

This brought tears to my eyes this morning. Because it's so true. Thanks for the good laugh.

Well, the discussion r.e. HP printers is clearly off-topic, but I've got to at least chime in and defend HP a bit.    I think they make excellent printers ... especially the lasers.  What I do NOT like about their printers is the insanely bloated software packages they insist on delivering with them.  Hundreds of megabytes for a printer driver and supporting software is simply insane !!

But the printers themselves work very well.

But the printers themselves work very well.

I was about to post and say how wonderful my CLJ3800dtn is .... but out of the blue, it started reporting a fuser unit error yesterday - I'm not sure that I'll be able to afford the repair.

I was about to post and say how wonderful my CLJ3800dtn is .... but out of the blue, it started reporting a fuser unit error yesterday - I'm not sure that I'll be able to afford the repair.

Seems that Murphy always strikes at moments like this  :)

I suspect you simply need to replace the fuser ... an easy do-it-yourself replacement [although it is about $200  8) ].    Hopefully that's all you need !!

Seems that Murphy always strikes at moments like this  :)

Indeed!

I suspect you simply need to replace the fuser ... an easy do-it-yourself replacement [although it is about $200  8) ]

... and probably twice that much in Philippnes!

Hopefully that's all you need !!

Perhaps ... but last time the printer was misbehaving, I had discussions with staff at the central trouble-shooting repair base (I'm sure that it has a proper name!), who were advising sub-assembly replacement, saying that it was a fault they had encountered two or three times before, but were unsure as to the cause.  In the end, I discovered the root of the problem and was able to repair it by replacing small felt pads on a couple of solenoids ... total cost less than $1!

Seems sad that everyone focused on the HP aspect so much.  Every company goes through highs and lows and I am sure Tom #2 had little impact on the demise of their support, and later products.

Anyway welcome aboard Tom #2 im sure we will all appreciate your efforts especially since your role is to communicate with the user base.

Thanks!

Neil

a few of my goals with respect to the forum is to help Tom:

a) be aware of and track issues and opportunities that the moderators and I notice from the forum;

b) provide more regular updates (yeah, I know this has been a big issue for many of you);

Harmser hasn't posted anything in over two weeks.

Seems like he's quickly learned how things usually work around here. :D

That, or maybe we scared him off. I pictured a mouse being thrown into a room full of hungry cats.

a few of my goals with respect to the forum is to help Tom:

a) be aware of and track issues and opportunities that the moderators and I notice from the forum;

b) provide more regular updates (yeah, I know this has been a big issue for many of you);

Harmser hasn't posted anything in over two weeks.

Seems like he's quickly learned how things usually work around here. :D

That, or maybe we scared him off. I pictured a mouse being thrown into a room full of hungry cats.

Still here guys.  Sorry, been busy keeping Tom's ass in line.  ;)  Seriously though, as long as TomM is posting and keeping everyone up-to-date, there's nothing I can add to the discussion.  I'm doing a lot of work behind the scenes that you won't notice for a while (PR plan, marketing plan, etc.).

Just for eventually pushing Tom#1 you are already doing an wonderful job ;D

+1, we know your not technical, but that's a good thing as you get to read and explain/push him to understand where we come from.

Your doing great! don't worry. I'm sure you can see if you made attempts to post on the technical side you would have your a$s handed to you  ;D

Happy father day!

• 2 weeks later...