AVS-10/4 Now Available to Order

unRAID v5.0-rc13 will be available for download later this week, and the final 5.0 will be available the week of June 3.

How can unRAID v5.0-rc13 be later this week when it is only a few days left to June 3.

The week of June 3rd.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How can unRAID v5.0-rc13 be later this week when it is only a few days left to June 3.

RC13 can be "later this week" as long as it's released in the next 3 days  :)

the final 5.0 will be available the week of June 3.

Note v5 wasn't promised for 3 June ... but "the week of June 3"  =>  a fine distinction, but it does give Limetech 7 days to meet that projection  8)  [And I doubt there'd be much "surprise" on the forum if the date slipped a bit !!]

[quote author=harmser link=topic=27637.msg243639#msg243639 date=1369868119

unRAID OS Version:

- The new server uses unRAID OS v5.0.

- unRAID v5.0-rc13 will be available for download later this week, and the final 5.0 will be available the week of June 3.

Very interesting i have to check my box with old hardware so i can build a temporary unRAID server and see how this all develops. 

I suppose support for 24 drives will be supported with the next release now Limetech start selling servers with a 10 bay setup?

Sorry garycase it's my bad English. I meant to question if 24 drives still will be supported now Limetech is going to sell 10 bay servers.

Yes, the # of drives supported isn't changing ... except the limitations on drive types have been removed ... so, for example, the free version can now have a cache;  and Plus can support 7 drives of any type instead of 6 + cache ... thus increasing the number of data drives it can support.  These changes aren't in effect yet, but will be with v5 final in the next week or so.

Excellent -- good to get some solid status info.

Tom's doing a great job, coming up to speed very fast for an HP guy  ;D

One question:  In your first public post on this forum (a couple weeks ago), you indicated that the new server case would be available independently.    Do you know WHEN that will be on the web site for ordering?  ... and what it's going to cost?  [i guess that's actually two questions  :) ]

We will be getting a "Components" page up very soon, hopefully by this weekend.  The first item will be the case.  Probably around $499 for the case, which will include the 4-pin case fans, but not the two 2.5 drive cages - which are iStar BPU-2325's.  But we'll offer those as an add-on for less than what you can get them for at Newegg.

- unRAID v5.0-rc13 will be available for download later this week, and the final 5.0 will be available the week of June 3.

Based on what the web site promises for the new server, it's fairly obvious that the long-promised btrfs cache pool is going to be included in v5.0.    Can you confirm that this will be in RC13?  [i presume that's the reason for the intervening RC before "final" -- to get some quick feedback on that feature (and perhaps confirm that various fixes work okay) ]

5.0-rc13 will include fix for "slow write" along with some code suggestions from others (e.g., JoeL).  It will not include the btrfs pool.  The btfs pool will be included in 5.0 "final" as an "experimental" feature.  More on this in the 5.0 announcement.

If RC13 is being released latter this week then how can you possibly know that 5.0 final will be released the week of June 3?    The reason that a RC is released is so that it can be tested for faults.  How can we possibly know what faults will be reported in RC13 and that it will be able to rectify them by the week of June 3?

5.0 "final" will be released with the feature set, and warts that exist on June 3.  Should have done this a long time ago, and will do it this way moving forward.  Take a look at the linux kernel release methodology, that's what we're going to do.

While the AVS-10/4 was designed around the needs of AV enthusiasts and professional AV installers, it's also a great solution for photographers, videographers, and others who need the benefits of unRAID – the most power-efficient, reliable, truly mass storage for your money.  You can read more about the AVS-10/4 features here.

...back to topic  ;D

I really love that case....what about shipment to international destinations?

Sure, if you don't mind the extra shipping, customs and VAT.  Something Tom (#2) will be exploring is signing up some international distribution.  No time frame for this yet however.

Also from the pics, the only fans I see are behind the 3.5" cages....the 2.5" cage appears to have none?...is this OK for use with spinners?

Right, no fans there.  The cages are made of aluminum and dissipate heat very well.  In testing it hasn't been a problem.

The btfs pool will be included in 5.0 "final" as an "experimental" feature.  More on this in the 5.0 announcement.

I assume you have, however, "wrung this out" a good bit in your own testing -- right??

From a personal standpoint, a fault-tolerant cache is a GREAT improvement ... I'll probably start using a cache drive now (or more correctly, a cache pool).

There is a phrase of note, done is better than perfect.

Perfect is the enemy of good.  I don't think much of release numbers.  To me each -rc has been good and all our servers have been running 5.0 for a long long time.  But then there are those people who want to see an official release which is no longer marked "-rc" or "-beta" or whatever.  I should have just not done the -rc series.  Tom #2 has hit me over the head with a big baseball bat that says, "Customers want to see non-release candidate software, so just get it done!"

Based on what the web site promises for the new server, it's fairly obvious that the long-promised btrfs cache pool is going to be included in v5.0.    Can you confirm that this will be in RC13?  [i presume that's the reason for the intervening RC before "final" -- to get some quick feedback on that feature (and perhaps confirm that various fixes work okay) ]

5.0-rc13 will include fix for "slow write" along with some code suggestions from others (e.g., JoeL).  It will not include the btrfs pool.  The btfs pool will be included in 5.0 "final" as an "experimental" feature.  More on this in the 5.0 announcement.

even if the experimental feature is not utilized, how can you be 100% sure that the changes to the code won't introduce unforeseen problems with the core functioning? 

even if the experimental feature is not utilized, how can you be 100% sure that the changes to the code won't introduce unforeseen problems with the core functioning?

As a programmer, you can be sure that it works when you release a product (which Tom has done, I've never had an issue with the core product). You can NEVER be 100% sure of some uncontrollable variable causing an issue, especially so when you're relying on other 3rd party software (eg, Linux kernel) to do some of the heavy lifting. Every NAS has issues, just look at the release notes.

While the AVS-10/4 was designed around the needs of AV enthusiasts and professional AV installers, it's also a great solution for photographers, videographers, and others who need the benefits of unRAID – the most power-efficient, reliable, truly mass storage for your money.  You can read more about the AVS-10/4 features here.

...back to topic  ;D

Sure, if you don't mind the extra shipping, customs and VAT.  Something Tom (#2) will be exploring is signing up some international distribution.  No time frame for this yet however.

Also from the pics, the only fans I see are behind the 3.5" cages....the 2.5" cage appears to have none?...is this OK for use with spinners?

Right, no fans there.  The cages are made of aluminum and dissipate heat very well.  In testing it hasn't been a problem.

I put my hand up for the Australian distributor 'franchise'!

...back to topic  ;D

8)

Thinking of it, I might as well apply for that job  ;D

This wouldn't be my first time, turning a hobby into a business and I am spending too much time on this already without getting paid  :)

the problem is not that the date might come and final is not ready and not released....  it is that the date will come and that it it will be released despite the fact that it may not be ready simply because this is required to profit from the sale of the new hardware....

If you've never seen that happen from another company before, then I'd love to take the same "meds"

Where I work, I have seen numerous cases of "Deadline is King". No matter what the status truly is, the implementation goes in, called a GREAT SUCCESS, then work on fixing the issues (if you're lucky) after the fact, or not (resources have moved on to the next project).

the problem is not that the date might come and final is not ready and not released....  it is that the date will come and that it it will be released despite the fact that it may not be ready simply because this is required to profit from the sale of the new hardware....

If you've never seen that happen from another company before, then I'd love to take the same "meds"

Where I work, I have seen numerous cases of "Deadline is King". No matter what the status truly is, the implementation goes in, called a GREAT SUCCESS, then work on fixing the issues (if you're lucky) after the fact, or not (resources have moved on to the next project).

Absolutely agree -- Schedule rules the day far too often.    Not just in IT either.  Meeting the schedule make it a "success" -- and the "minor detail" that it then takes weeks/months/or even years to fix all the defects is often overlooked in the publicity that accompanies the project.

So, judging by the new specs... I'm assuming the slow parity check issues affecting some people with SAS2LP controllers are fixed? This is a totally separate issue from the "slow write" speeds, and many people with his issue have proven that it's not a bus speed or hardware issue, but a driver and/or unRAID issue. I can only assume its fixed in RC13 because the parts you are using are likely affected by it. I get a whopping 50-60MB/s parity check, but a complete parity rebuild would go 130MB/s. Older versions of unRAID will exceed 100MB/s on the same setups.

See here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25890.0

Was really hoping for RC13 today. Tomorrow is the monthly parity check, looks like it'll be another ~24 hour one. I've tried a complete stock unRAID with the same results. :(

As far as parity testing goes, is there any difference between the atom & intel boards?

Limetech may have done some detailed testing on identical configurations, but I'd expect the answer to that to be NO.    It'd be nice to know if they're done parity tests on identically populated systems using the two different boards  :)

But parity testing is not a high-CPU utilization activity ... and since both systems use the same add-in card for all non-motherboard ports, the disk access speeds should be virtually identical.    My Atom-based system is, except for the case, identical to the new server without the add-in card;  and with 6 3TB WD Reds it takes about 8:15 to do a parity check.

That is the accepted wisdom but there is some anecdotal evidence to suggest people with meaty CPU get faster parity. The differences reported are small and the testing is very weak.

It would be nice to know for sure going from one extreme such as an i7 to another such as an ATOM

Time to fork this thread if we want to talk more on this