AVS-10/4 Now Available to Order

It would be nice to know for sure going from one extreme such as an i7 to another such as an ATOM

I agree that would be an interesting result.    And Limetech could EASILY provide us this data if they'd run a simple experiment:  On the higher-end version, pop in a Xeon E3-1230v2 (they offer this as an option) ... then set up this and one of the Atom units with identical disk configs (ideally I'd like to see ten 3TB WD Reds, but just so they're both fully populated and use the same disks it would be a valid result).    Then just run parity checks and let us know the results  :)

Note the board they're using doesn't support i7's, but the 1230v2 is very close to a Core i7-3770 [PassMark 8934 vs. 9447 for the i7-3770) ... so this would be effectively the same test.

Of course both systems would also have to have the same amount of RAM.    FWIW, I suspect RAM differences actually make more difference in parity check speed than CPU differences.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as parity testing goes, is there any difference between the atom & intel boards?

As I was writing the above post, I realized I hadn't corrected this post -- the two server versions are NOT differentiated between "atom and intel boards" -- the atom board IS an Intel board  8)

The two versions of the server are the "Atom-based" unit and the "Core/Xeon based" unit.  BOTH are Intel CPUs  :)

...  Clearly we knew what you meant -- but it is technically not a correct distinction  :)

While the AVS-10/4 was designed around the needs of AV enthusiasts and professional AV installers, it's also a great solution for photographers, videographers, and others who need the benefits of unRAID – the most power-efficient, reliable, truly mass storage for your money.  You can read more about the AVS-10/4 features here.

...back to topic  ;D

I really love that case....what about shipment to international destinations?

Sure, if you don't mind the extra shipping, customs and VAT.  Something Tom (#2) will be exploring is signing up some international distribution.  No time frame for this yet however.

Also from the pics, the only fans I see are behind the 3.5" cages....the 2.5" cage appears to have none?...is this OK for use with spinners?

Right, no fans there.  The cages are made of aluminum and dissipate heat very well.  In testing it hasn't been a problem.

I put my hand up for the Australian distributor 'franchise'!

I hope your east coast as I would like the west coast :-)

If RC13 is being released latter this week then how can you possibly know that 5.0 final will be released the week of June 3?    The reason that a RC is released is so that it can be tested for faults.  How can we possibly know what faults will be reported in RC13 and that it will be able to rectify them by the week of June 3?

5.0 "final" will be released with the feature set, and warts that exist on June 3.  Should have done this a long time ago, and will do it this way moving forward.  Take a look at the linux kernel release methodology, that's what we're going to do.

Excellent news now I can Complete my esxi I migration on final software looking forward to it. 

unRAID OS Version:

- unRAID v5.0-rc13 will be available for download later this week, and the final 5.0 will be available the week of June

So it's beginning to look like yet another goal missed by Tom...

You all do realize that Tom is on the West cost and it is only 1-2 o'clock there...

unRAID OS Version:

- unRAID v5.0-rc13 will be available for download later this week, and the final 5.0 will be available the week of June

You all do realize that Tom is on the West cost and it is only 1-2 o'clock there...

So when Tom #2 says 'this week' or 'that week' we should really expect it to be released at the last possible minute which makes it technically true? I should have known better.

unRAID OS Version:

So when Tom #2 says 'this week' or 'that week' we should really expect it to be released at the last possible minute which makes it technically true? I should have known better.

I supposed it also depends on whether you consider the first day of the week Sunday or Monday.    If it's Monday, then Tom has until tomorrow night to release RC13 and still be technically within the "end of this week" promise  8)      ... and there IS good precedent for considering Sunday the 7th day instead of the 1st day  [Genesis 2:3 ... "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."]

unRAID OS Version:

Working ass off on it.  Testing testing testing.

Thanks for the update! This is all I, and I'm sure others, needed to hear!

unRAID OS Version:

Thanks for the update! This is all I, and I'm sure others, needed to hear!

Definitely agree ==>  I'd much rather see a well-tested release than a "release-just-to-have-a-release" !!    I think it's fair to say we've been FAR more frustrated by the lack of STATUS than by the lack of a release ... that's been true for a LONG time.

... and there IS good precedent for considering Sunday the 7th day instead of the 1st day  [Genesis 2:3 ... "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."]

... except that, by Jewish tradition, the last day of the week, when God rested (the Sabbath or Shabbat) was Saturday.

... and there IS good precedent for considering Sunday the 7th day instead of the 1st day  [Genesis 2:3 ... "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."]

... except that, by Jewish tradition, the last day of the week, when God rested (the Sabbath or Shabbat) was Saturday.

After I posted that note, I was wondering if someone would point out that the Jewish faith considers Saturday the 7th day  :)

I would rather have a well tested release, then jeopardize my data. 

Some things are worth the wait.

Absolutely agree ... as I've said MANY times in this and other threads, the #1 reason for the high amount of frustration on this forum is, in my opinion, not the lack of progress in the releases, but the nearly complete lack of STATUS information.

It's been much better the last few days -- I hope that this trend continues !!  :)

Absolutely agree ... as I've said MANY times in this and other threads, the #1 reason for the high amount of frustration on this forum is, in my opinion, not the lack of progress in the releases, but the nearly complete lack of STATUS information.

It's been much better the last few days -- I hope that this trend continues !!  :)

+1 agree from here.  While I am not as concerned as some people seem to be, it has been very frustrating not knowing if anything is happening if dev is on hold, someone is on holidays, other commitments massive bug found trying to resolve etc etc.  You just keep coming back in the hope there will be some information.

After I posted that note, I was wondering if someone would point out that the Jewish faith considers Saturday the 7th day  :)

And many Christians consider that Sunday is the  first day of the week as is the day of the resurrection of Jesus who represents the new beginning.  Hence, Sunday is the FIRST day  and Saturday is the last day.  Plus the Date of Easter is determined by the Jewish calendar as the Last Supper took place on the Passover. 

Agree..,100 percent...

And many Christians consider that Sunday is the  first day of the week as is the day of the resurrection of Jesus who represents the new beginning.  Hence, Sunday is the FIRST day  and Saturday is the last day.  Plus the Date of Easter is determined by the Jewish calendar as the Last Supper took place on the Passover.

He might be using a "modern" calendar.

http://calendars.wikia.com/wiki/Modern_Calendar

unRAID OS Version:

Deadlines.jpg;D