New Egg: 3tb for $99 - WDigital *external* drive -- will need to crack case

Not only do you likely void the warranty, but the drives packaged this way only have a 1 year warranty [and WD DOES keep track -- if you look up the serial number when you get the unit, it'll show a 1 year warranty].    Compared to 2 years for the "internal" version of the drive (they use Green series drives in their external products) or 3 years for a WD Red.

Simple fact is I think it's worth paying a premium for the Reds. 

For what it's worth, a few weeks ago I RMA'd a WD Green 3TB I pulled from an external. Not only did they honor the warranty when I sent the bare drive in, but they sent me a 4TB external in return. When I opened the 4TB it had a Hitachi 5K4000 inside which is a really nice drive.

So your mileage may vary with respect to them honoring the warranty of the bare drive.

Not only do you likely void the warranty, but the drives packaged this way only have a 1 year warranty [and WD DOES keep track -- if you look up the serial number when you get the unit, it'll show a 1 year warranty].    Compared to 2 years for the "internal" version of the drive (they use Green series drives in their external products) or 3 years for a WD Red.

Simple fact is I think it's worth paying a premium for the Reds.

It's up to folks to weigh those kind of options.  I tend to pay a premium for internal-style drives -- but passed it along anyway...  I modified my OP to make that clear...