New unmenu pluging: myMain

SSD

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe i am missing something obvious, but i can not seem to install and run myMain. if someone has the patience for a noob can you please explain to me how to install this and run it on my unRaid server.

thanks

kingpin

The obvious might be that it is a plug-in for the unmain.awk interface described here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Add_Ons#UnMENU

It needs to be installed in the same folder as the other unmenu files.  If you are already running unmenu.awk, it need to be stopped and re-started to see the new plug-in.

Joe L.

I found a small issue that if you try and change the view definitions in the local config file, that it doesn't work correctly.  It was a one line change.  I will put this in a more formal 1.0 release soon, but wanted to get this out ASAP.  Please let me know if you guys find any other bugs.

There is one other issue that is more of a presentation issue but may appear to be a bug.  In the performance view there are columns for Read I/O and Write I/O.  The rows for the disks work as you would expect, but the "Total" row is NOT the sum of the disk rows.  What it is is the NETWORK read (Rx) and write (Tx) performance.  You might have noticed a small graphic to the left of these values and wondered why it was there.  I wanted it to be a transmission line symbol of some kind (like a lightning bolt), but nothing optimal was available.

To install this, just overwrite the myMain.awk file.

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to add MyMain to the UnRAID Add Ons wiki page, but I can't decide what would be the best way to do it.  (Perhaps I'm too tired!)  One way would be to add it as a Project, on par with UnMENU, and mention UnMENU as a requirement.  Or perhaps I should create another section for UnMENU plugins.  Or come up with a way to list 'sub-projects' of UnMENU.  What do you and Joe and others think?

I really want to add MyMain to the UnRAID Add Ons wiki page, but I can't decide what would be the best way to do it.  (Perhaps I'm too tired!)  One way would be to add it as a Project, on par with UnMENU, and mention UnMENU as a requirement.  Or perhaps I should create another section for UnMENU plugins.  Or come up with a way to list 'sub-projects' of UnMENU.  What do you and Joe and others think?

myMain is an unmenu plug-in...  granted, it is the most elaborate and impressive plug-in so far, but I do not think it will be the last of its kind.  However, a useful unmenu plug-in can be written in a dozen lines of script, or less. and it might be just as useful, 

In my mind, all plug-ins and user-scripts should be listed as sub-projects of unmenu.awk.  I've organized them in just that way already here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnMENU_documentation

Joe L.

RobJ - I am okay with whatever you decide, but tend to agree with Joe L. that it might be clearest to readers if all unmenu plugins are organized within the unmenu "addon".

I have sent Joe L. my "version 1" code and asked him to distribute as part of the next unmenu distribution.  The reason is that my code is dependent on some enhancementst that he made for me.  (Thanks Joe L.!!!).

In the future, I will post interim updates into this thread, and send Joe L. "official" versions from time to time to include in his distribution package.

Joe L. - I will try and add a section to the wiki for myMain soon.

I have a small issue:

In the Spin column of myMain I see a "§" instead of the circling arrow, which I had before. I haven't changed default font or anything else in my browser, so I don't know why is it changed. (It is the same using FF and IE).

Do you have any suggestion to fix this?

Thank you!

I have a small issue:

In the Spin column of myMain I see a "§" instead of the circling arrow, which I had before. I haven't changed default font or anything else in my browser, so I don't know why is it changed. (It is the same using FF and IE).

Do you have any suggestion to fix this?

Thank you!

Sure.  There are 2 sets of special symbols that I created.  One set is portable (works with FF) and the other is (or seems to be) IE specific.

To switch, it is just a matter of uncommenting a few lines in the configuration file called myMain.local.conf.

# This set may only work in IE - but they are more attractive IMO.  (Check the myMain.conf file for the latest version of these) 

#SetConstant(PassedHtml,    "<font face=\"Wingdings\" size=\"4\">&#252;</font>")    # check mark on smart view
#SetConstant(FailedHtml,    "<font face=\"Wingdings\" size=\"4\">&#251;</font>")    # x mark on smart view
#SetConstant(NetworkHtml,   "<font face=\"Webdings\">~</font> ")                    # ligthning symbol on performance view
#SetConstant(SpinHtml,      "<font face=\"Wingdings 3\" size=\"4\">Q</font>")       # circle with arrow - shows drive is spinning
#SetConstant(NospinHtml,    "<font face=\"Symbol\" size=\"4\">-</font>")            # long dash - shows drive is not spinning
#SetConstant(BulletHtml,    "<font face=\"Wingdings\">s</font> ")              # bullet used in smart_fail_lst
#SetConstant(SortAscHtml,   " <font face=\"Wingdings 3\" style=\"color:cyan\">p</font>") 
#SetConstant(SortDescHtml,  " <font face=\"Wingdings 3\" style=\"color:cyan\">q</font>") 

You want to remove the leading "#" from all or some of the SetConstant() lines above.  The one in particular you are interested in is "SpinHtml".

The only trick to editing this file is that you have to use an editor that can handle Unix line termination.  One such editor is called Notepad2 and can be found here.  (Thanks to bubbaq for this link).  It is a great little editor, and blows Notepad away.  I use it all the time for normal Windows stuff.

bjp999

Sure.  There are 2 sets of special symbols that I created.  One set is portable (works with FF) and the other is (or seems to be) IE specific.

To switch, it is just a matter of uncommenting a few lines in the configuration file called myMain.local.conf.

Thank bjp999, that did the trick. VI is always our friend...  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've got unMENU and myMenu working, but have a question.

On the myMAIN Default view, I'm not getting a temp report, I do get it for unMENU and the Standard unRAID view though, I've checked smartctl -? and it seems t return okay, I'm using version 4.4. Do I still need to install the cxxlibs? I did try that and it didn't seem to help, but now its uninstalled after a reboot.

Thanks in advance - great work on both unMENU and myMAIN guys - myMAIN SMART view should me that the Seagate 1TB drives (mine at least) start out bad and end worse (so far so good, but I do expect it to die early, thanks for unRAID and it's parity!).

I've got unMENU and myMenu working, but have a question.

On the myMAIN Default view, I'm not getting a temp report, I do get it for unMENU and the Standard unRAID view though, I've checked smartctl -? and it seems t return okay, I'm using version 4.4. Do I still need to install the cxxlibs? I did try that and it didn't seem to help, but now its uninstalled after a reboot.

Thanks in advance - great work on both unMENU and myMAIN guys - myMAIN SMART view should me that the Seagate 1TB drives (mine at least) start out bad and end worse (so far so good, but I do expect it to die early, thanks for unRAID and it's parity!).

I will look into this, but right now my array is in pieces on the floor.  Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing on the myMain screen as well as on the unMenu "main" page?  That may be enough for me to figure it out, or I may need to ask you for more assistance to isolate and fix.

Well I was just looking a taking some screen shots...everything looks good now - I'll keep an eye on it, but the SMART screen now sows the temp...maybe my reboot last night kicked it in the pants and fixed it... Thanks though!

None of the screens, unmenu, or lime-technology supplied, can display the temperature if the drives are not spinning.  Perhaps all your drives were spun-down when you looked at the myMain display.

Glad everything is working.

Joe L.

Good point, I'll keep an eye on it over the next while - that would make more sense than it magically started working:)

*EDIT* When drives are spun down do they report the last read value for temp? I just spun my drives down and they still show temp on the unMENU and myMAIN screens, on the unRAID Main page it just shows * instead of a value...

Well I was just looking a taking some screen shots...everything looks good now - I'll keep an eye on it, but the SMART screen now sows the temp...maybe my reboot last night kicked it in the pants and fixed it... Thanks though!

None of the screens, unmenu, or lime-technology supplied, can display the temperature if the drives are not spinning.  Perhaps all your drives were spun-down when you looked at the myMain display.

Glad everything is working.

Joe L.

myMain shows temperatures of non-spinning WD drives.

I was just doing some experimenting and discovered some interesting byproducts of the 4.4 releases.  I am running 4.4 using the new Samba, but don't think that matters.  (Since I don't use user shares, I don't care about the 4.4.2 fix).

Anyway, it seems that emhttp is keeping track of whether it thinks that a drive is spun up or not.  And if it thinks it is spun up, it sill spin it up to get temperature even if the drive is spun down manually from myMain (or anything else that spins the drive down).

FYI

been messing around with unMenu and therefore myMain and have found something that i don't quite understand.

I have a cache drive in my system that is labeled sdf.  For some reason the myMain is giving me this ERROR: DRIVE sdf NOT FOUND  I know for a fact that the cache drive is there and working fine.  myMain see the cache drive as sdf1

In unMenu main page i see this:

Cache Drive
Device	Model/Serial	Mounted	File System	Temp	Size	Used	%Used	Free
/dev/sdf1	scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600JD-40_WD-WCAL94036151	/mnt/cache	reiserfs	35°C	149.05G	32.08M	1%	149.01G
Drive Partitions - Not In Protected Array
/dev/loop0			ext3	*				
/dev/sdf	scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600JD-40_WD-WCAL94036151			35°C	160.0G			
/dev/sdf1	scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600JD-40_WD-WCAL94036151	/mnt/cache	reiserfs	35°C	149.05G	32.08M	1%	149.01G

The spacing might be a little off above but you should get the idea.

Any reason why myMain does not see sdf?

been messing around with unMenu and therefore myMain and have found something that i don't quite understand.

I have a cache drive in my system that is labeled sdf.  For some reason the myMain is giving me this ERROR: DRIVE sdf NOT FOUND  I know for a fact that the cache drive is there and working fine.  myMain see the cache drive as sdf1

Cache Drive
/dev/loop0			ext3	*				

Unrelated to "sdf" and myMain... I'll let bjp999 figure out that question.

I notice you are using a loopback device. (/dev/loop0)  This will prevent unRAID from stopping cleanly if it is connected to a file on an array protected disk  When you go to stop the array (by pressing the "Stop" button, or issuing the "powerdown" command, if you have installed it),  the disk with the file connected to the loopback device will be "busy" and unRAID will not be able to un-mount that disk,  When this happens all the other drives it could un-mount will show as un-formatted.  (What ever you do, do not press the "Format" button mistakenly shown when this occurs... it would not be fun)

Do not panic, just type

losetup -d /dev/loop0

To delete the loop device.

And then you should be able to press "Stop" once more to stop the array.   I lost a few hairs with trying to figure out why one of my disks would not un-mount until I figured out what was going on.   The looback connection to the file on the disk did not show up in "fuser /mnt/disk*" output.  It did show up in "fuser /dev/loop0"

Joe L.

Cache Drive
/dev/loop0			ext3	*				

I'll look into this.