New unmenu pluging: myMain

SSD

Unrelated to "sdf" and myMain... I'll let bjp999 figure out that question.

I notice you are using a loopback device. (/dev/loop0)  This will prevent unRAID from stopping cleanly if it is connected to a file on an array protected disk  When you go to stop the array (by pressing the "Stop" button, or issuing the "powerdown" command, if you have installed it),  the disk with the file connected to the loopback device will be "busy" and unRAID will not be able to un-mount that disk,  When this happens all the other drives it could un-mount will show as un-formatted.  (What ever you do, do not press the "Format" button mistakenly shown when this occurs... it would not be fun)

Do not panic, just type

losetup -d /dev/loop0

To delete the loop device.

And then you should be able to press "Stop" once more to stop the array.   I lost a few hairs with trying to figure out why one of my disks would not un-mount until I figured out what was going on.   The looback connection to the file on the disk did not show up in "fuser /mnt/disk*" output.  It did show up in "fuser /dev/loop0"

Joe L.

Any idea were the loopback may have come from?  I did not specifically set it up to do that

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unrelated to "sdf" and myMain... I'll let bjp999 figure out that question.

I notice you are using a loopback device. (/dev/loop0)  This will prevent unRAID from stopping cleanly if it is connected to a file on an array protected disk  When you go to stop the array (by pressing the "Stop" button, or issuing the "powerdown" command, if you have installed it),  the disk with the file connected to the loopback device will be "busy" and unRAID will not be able to un-mount that disk,  When this happens all the other drives it could un-mount will show as un-formatted.  (What ever you do, do not press the "Format" button mistakenly shown when this occurs... it would not be fun)

Do not panic, just type

losetup -d /dev/loop0

To delete the loop device.

And then you should be able to press "Stop" once more to stop the array.   I lost a few hairs with trying to figure out why one of my disks would not un-mount until I figured out what was going on.   The looback connection to the file on the disk did not show up in "fuser /mnt/disk*" output.  It did show up in "fuser /dev/loop0"

Joe L.

Any idea were the loopback may have come from?  I did not specifically set it up to do that

Did you mount an ext2 file system?  Are you running anything other than the stock lime-technology supplied OS? Or an encrypted file system? or perhaps a swap file might use a loop device? (never created one, so never looked to see)

The only time I have ever seen a loopback device on my server is if I mount an ISO image file as a real device... Like this:

mkdir /mnt/ub

mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/disk11/data/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso /mnt/ub

root@Tower:/# mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

/dev/sda1 on /boot type vfat (rw,umask=077,shortname=mixed)

/dev/md11 on /mnt/disk11 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md2 on /mnt/disk2 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md5 on /mnt/disk5 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md8 on /mnt/disk8 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md6 on /mnt/disk6 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md1 on /mnt/disk1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md3 on /mnt/disk3 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md4 on /mnt/disk4 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md10 on /mnt/disk10 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

/dev/md7 on /mnt/disk7 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/mnt/disk11/data/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso on /mnt/ub type iso9660 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

Once mounted like this I can browse the ubuntu cd ISO image by changing directory to /mnt/ub

I can unmount by typing

umount /mnt/ub

losetup -a will tell you a bit more about what is being looped.

Out of curiousity I just did a "ls /dev" to see if I had a loop0 device.

Surprised me to see not just a loop0, but also loop1, loop2, ..., loop7!

Is that normal?

Yes, it is very normal.   They are there if you need them. Odds are you will only ever need 1, but who knows.

In the same way you have /dev/tty0 through /dev/tty59... and the odds are fairly high you do not have 60 serial ports on your server.  But, they are also there if you need them.

The loop devices are really neat.  See here

Joe L.

(long ago, tty was the abbreviation for Teletype, because the system console was a mechanical teletype machine.  Yes, it ran at 110 baud., and it was *much* faster than the older 45 baud equipment.   There were many serial ports configured on the original unix server I worked on (/dev/tty0 through /dev/tty99), because all workstations were run over serial connections to the server. TCP/IP networking was years in the future.)

• 3 months later...

I have a small issue:

In the Spin column of myMain I see a "§" instead of the circling arrow, which I had before. I haven't changed default font or anything else in my browser, so I don't know why is it changed. (It is the same using FF and IE).

Do you have any suggestion to fix this?

Thank you!

Sure.  There are 2 sets of special symbols that I created.  One set is portable (works with FF) and the other is (or seems to be) IE specific.

To switch, it is just a matter of uncommenting a few lines in the configuration file called myMain.local.conf.

# This set may only work in IE - but they are more attractive IMO.  (Check the myMain.conf file for the latest version of these) 

#SetConstant(PassedHtml,    "<font face=\"Wingdings\" size=\"4\">&#252;</font>")    # check mark on smart view
#SetConstant(FailedHtml,    "<font face=\"Wingdings\" size=\"4\">&#251;</font>")    # x mark on smart view
#SetConstant(NetworkHtml,   "<font face=\"Webdings\">~</font> ")                    # ligthning symbol on performance view
#SetConstant(SpinHtml,      "<font face=\"Wingdings 3\" size=\"4\">Q</font>")       # circle with arrow - shows drive is spinning
#SetConstant(NospinHtml,    "<font face=\"Symbol\" size=\"4\">-</font>")            # long dash - shows drive is not spinning
#SetConstant(BulletHtml,    "<font face=\"Wingdings\">s</font> ")              # bullet used in smart_fail_lst
#SetConstant(SortAscHtml,   " <font face=\"Wingdings 3\" style=\"color:cyan\">p</font>") 
#SetConstant(SortDescHtml,  " <font face=\"Wingdings 3\" style=\"color:cyan\">q</font>") 

You want to remove the leading "#" from all or some of the SetConstant() lines above.  The one in particular you are interested in is "SpinHtml".

The only trick to editing this file is that you have to use an editor that can handle Unix line termination.  One such editor is called Notepad2 and can be found here.  (Thanks to bubbaq for this link).  It is a great little editor, and blows Notepad away.  I use it all the time for normal Windows stuff.

bjp999

Beacuse of skin preferences, I only recently upgraded to FF3.

Now I have issues again displaying those wingdings :)

Intead of "§", now I see a "Q" instead of the circling arrow. It seems FF3 is handling this again differently :(

It's OK in IE.

Is there anything I can tune to fix this?

Thank you for your support in advance!

Not sure what settings are available in the browser to better support fonts.  I am working on a version that uses graphics instead of special font symbols, and will both look better and not have these types of issues.  Will post when it is ready.

Not sure what settings are available in the browser to better support fonts.  I am working on a version that uses graphics instead of special font symbols, and will both look better and not have these types of issues.  Will post when it is ready.

Sounds great, thanks!

Again me  ::)

A little bit earlier just a few times, but now after every reboot I see the following message on MyMain screen:

ERROR: DRIVE sdb NOT FOUND

sdb is my cache drive it feels well and working OK.

It also appears properly on unRAID Main in green.

Do you have an idea what can cause this?

Thank you!

Again me  ::)

A little bit earlier just a few times, but now after every reboot I see the following message on MyMain screen:

ERROR: DRIVE sdb NOT FOUND

sdb is my cache drive it feels well and working OK.

It also appears properly on unRAID Main in green.

Do you have an idea what can cause this?

Thank you!

Handling via PM.  Will post a fix here if needed.

Attached is a new version of myMain - version 1.45 beta.

It contains 2 new features ...

1 - The Smart view no longer spins up all of the drives.  It will instead only take smart reports on the currently spinning drives, as well as drives which do not have to be spun up to get a smart report (WD drives).  There is a "RefreshAll" link added to spin up all drives that need to be spun up to take smart reports (i.e., it will not spin up WD drives).

2 - The “info” column now has a hyperlink called “sh” for smarthistory.  It will call the smarthistory program for that drive and display the resulting graphs.  (That tool needs to spin up the drive to produce output.)

There have been numerous internal changes and bug fixes.

To install I suggest the following ...

1. Backup your current unmenu directory (from Windows explorer, navigate to \\tower\flash, and just copy the entire unmenu directory to a backup).  This will allow you to recover if you have any problems.

2. unzip the attached file directly into your unmenu directory

3. Depending on how you started unmenu (via "uu" or via the lighttpd), you may need to stop and restart.  I don't think you'd have to do this with lighttpd, but you would with uu.  May take a little experimentation.  (Post back with any questions and someone should be able to assist).

(Olympia - please try this version and see if your problem continues to occur.  If so, you have found a new bug and not one that I already encountered and fixed and we'll have to continue our dialog to get it fixed.)

Thanks bjp999, it seems to solve my issue with the error display.

However, this new version seems to not read and disregard myMain_local.conf.

Or does it need some adjustments?

Thank you again for your consideration and taking care!

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, new unRAID user here.  I originally posted this in the unMenu thread, but now realize it would be better asked here....

Let me start off by saying thanks for all the work that's gone into unMenu and myMain so far.  I'm finding it a great help in managing my new box, but I do have one small hiccup which I hope you can help me resolve.

Specifically, the myMain page shows the following error above the Server Disk Summary:

Couldn't find drivedb[sdc4]

where sdc is my flash drive.

I suspect this may have come about because when I originally installed unRAID i formatted my flash as a regular HDD, but I had problems getting my m/b to boot from it consistently without manual intervention, so I reformatted it as a zip drive per the instructions linked elsewhere, and set my boot device to USB-ZIP.  So I'm thinking that perhaps something is still pointing to my original flash partition of sdc1 instead of the zip format's sdc4.

I have installed the latest myMain 1.45beta but the symptom persists.

Any ideas and suggestions gratefully accepted.  Everything else is working perfectly, and even this is really only a minor cosmetic issue, but hey, I'm happiest when I see no errors at all. :)

Yes, as I mentioned, I'm running the 1.45beta version which you posted in this thread on May 16th.

Further information: I bought a second flash drive yesterday, which my BIOS recognizes and boots from without me having to format it as a USB-ZIP.  When I boot the exact same unRAID (copied directly from the first flash drive) from this new flash drive, the spurious line no longer appears

This tends to confirm my suspicion that it's related to the USB-ZIP formatting of my first flash drive which results in /boot being mounted at /dev/sdc4 instead of /dev/sdc1.

Sorry for the delay - I was running off the "good" flash drive and had to wait until I got home to switch and reboot.  Here ya go...

root@Tower:~# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

8     0  156290904 sda
   8     1  156290872 sda1
   8    16  156290904 sdb
   8    17  156290872 sdb1
   8    32    1007104 sdc
   8    36    1006576 sdc4
   8    48 1465138584 sdd
   8    49 1465138552 sdd1
   8    64 1465138584 sde
   8    65 1465138552 sde1
   9     1 1465138552 md1
   9     2  156290872 md2
   9     3  156290872 md3
root@Tower:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdc4              1006320     42240    964080   5% /boot
/dev/md1             1465093832 454136496 1010957336  31% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md3             156286096     32840 156253256   1% /mnt/disk3
/dev/md2             156286096     32840 156253256   1% /mnt/disk2
shfs                 1777666024 454202176 1323463848  26% /mnt/user
root@Tower:~#

and here's an example of the error...

captured1.png

Sorry for the delay - I was running off the "good" flash drive and had to wait until I got home to switch and reboot.  Here ya go...

Sent you a PM.

Fixed. The updated file is attached.

• 1 month later...

Hi bjp999,

I am toying with smarthistory tool for a while, with limited results up until now.

One of my issue is, that I am unable to use it from MyMENU.

If I click on "sh", I only get a line:

cd /boot/smarthistory; smarthistory -wake ON -output HTML -graph IMAGE -report ALL -devices /dev/sdX (diskX)

Smarthistory is placed /boot/smarthistory and it was working some days ago until a reboot. Nothing has been changed concerning to this, but I cannot make it work again...

Could you please give me a hand? Thank you in advance!