A new toy... FEMUR

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

If there aren't any compatibility issues and it's simply and issue with the version of Firefox that it states it supports, you can do this yourself easily.

Download the XPI file http://www.citegenie.com/femur/femur.xpi (Right click, Save Link as)

Rename the extension to ZIP

It will now open as a zip file (which is all it is)

Extract install.rdf and edit it in notepad.

Near the bottom where it says maxVersion="3.0.*", change that to maxVersion="3.*.*"

Save the install.rdf and replace the one in the zip file.

Rename it the zip file back to .XPI

Now you can install it and Firefox won't bitch about it.

You can do this in the meantime until he updates it.

• 7 months later...

I love this extension and was wondering if we could get a version that would work in Google Chrome.  I have recently started messing with and testing how well chrome works on my Mac and have been missing FEMUR.  FEMUR has become an invaluable part of Firefox for me and is something I install right from the start.

I have a modified version of the Firefox plugin that should work in an 3.x.x release unless something drastic in Firefox changes.  I will attach it below so that others can download it also!

I have only added the .zip ending to this so all that should be needed is to rename the file and remove the .zip ending.

femur.xpi.zip

Thanksf or creating the plugin for firefox. Unfortunately it is not compatible with firefox 3.5.7

Just though I would give you a heads up.

The version I attached should work just fine.  I have it working with the 3.6.x series just fine and the way I changed it should allow you to use it with ANY 3.x.x series, granting nothing changes to much with Firefox.

Ah I can't wait to see the newer version of both the FEMUR plugin and the v5 of unRAID OS server, double the happines, and it keeps getting better and better as time progresses. Cheers!

On the topic of FEMUR, is their any other application or plug-in which monitors a unRAID server? I'm sure someone out there has or had thought about compiling a standalone *.exe, application install and/or something that runs in the Taskbar which can feeds all the relevant info from your unRAID server. It would be great if it can stream information like used/remaining disk space, CPU/Memory usage, NIC statistics, Disks which are running/spun down, disks currently in use, HDD temperatures, errors reported, etc... Perhaps even better would be a Windows Vista/7 widget? 

On the topic of FEMUR, is their any other application or plug-in which monitors a unRAID server? I'm sure someone out there has or had thought about compiling a standalone *.exe, application install and/or something that runs in the Taskbar which can feeds all the relevant info from your unRAID server. It would be great if it can stream information like used/remaining disk space, CPU/Memory usage, NIC statistics, Disks which are running/spun down, disks currently in use, HDD temperatures, errors reported, etc... Perhaps even better would be a Windows Vista/7 widget? 

The basic answer is no, but I do remember one person who write an entire app to display what they screen-scraped.

Anything you write would either need a data server on the unRAID array to collect the statistics, or use only that which is available on the unRAID web-page and screen-scrape it from there. 

See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4921.msg45408#msg45408

Thanks for the suggestion Joe L, but it requires WHS, which I don't have (nor do I want to have either :) ). Maybe someone with programming in their veins might see my suggestion and compile something, it's either that or wait for a newer release of unRAID v5 and the upcoming FEMUR plug-in release. Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion Joe L, but it requires WHS, which I don't have (nor do I want to have either :) ). Maybe someone with programming in their veins might see my suggestion and compile something, it's either that or wait for a newer release of unRAID v5 and the upcoming FEMUR plug-in release. Cheers!

I don't run WHS either.  You are in very good company.

Something about Windows + Storage + My important files, hhhmmm... Yeah I put more faith into Linux-based OS which prides itself for redundancy, reliability, rock-solidness, etc... and unRAID was designed from the ground up to be storage system server.

Besides the customizations and add-ins that can be integrated into it, unRAID is purely for storage. Another thing that just adds to peace of mind is the fact that if you ever needed to read data off individual drives, simply mounting the ReiserFS on a PC and you have access to your files.

I'm sitting here in a hotel room, about 150 miles from home, and the FEMUR plugin on the bottom right of Firefox says that Tower is started and Green, and the max drive temp is 37C.

This would be great, but there is absolutely no connectivity to my server from here... and no way for it to know the drive temperatures or array status (it still shows as green).

Before leaving home I put the laptop to sleep.  Here in the hotel room upon waking the laptop I connected to the hotel wireless LAN to get to the lime-tech forum.  The FEMUR plugin is highly misleading when it looses connectivity.  I expected it to say it could not reach the server, or status was unavailable, but not that it was "started/max37C"

To me, this is a bug.  What if the server had crashed... or the LAN cable disconnected?

It would be the same, unavailable...

Would it still show as "started"???

Joe L.

Guest smnas

It's probably using cached data from Firefox maybe? This cached data it collects from your server hasn't refreshed and therefore FEMUR is still telling you the status of you unRAID server, even though it hasn't actually got a connection to it, well that's my theory. I noticed FEMUR will say that my unRAID is still on with a temp reading, about (30 mins or so) after I've switched it off.

• 1 year later...

If there aren't any compatibility issues and it's simply and issue with the version of Firefox that it states it supports, you can do this yourself easily.

Download the XPI file http://www.citegenie.com/femur/femur.xpi (Right click, Save Link as)

Rename the extension to ZIP

It will now open as a zip file (which is all it is)

Extract install.rdf and edit it in notepad.

Near the bottom where it says maxVersion="3.0.*", change that to maxVersion="3.*.*"

Save the install.rdf and replace the one in the zip file.

Rename it the zip file back to .XPI

Now you can install it and Firefox won't bitch about it.

You can do this in the meantime until he updates it.

I followed these instructions, but am getting "Not a valid install package -207". Running Firefox 3.5.18.

Maybe I messed up when I got the bolded step above. I edited the .rdf and saved it, then created a new .zip file with all of the components (folders named chrome, components, and defaults, plus files named chrome.manifest and install.rdf), then renamed to .xpi.

Any thoughts?

Here is the .rdf file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RDF:RDF xmlns:em="http://www.mozilla.org/2004/em-rdf#"
         xmlns:NC="http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#"
         xmlns:RDF="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mozilla:install-manifest"
                   em:id="{4ec5edc0-b12a-11dd-ad8b-0800200c9a66}"
                   em:name="Firefox Extension for Monitoring unRAID (FEMUR)"
                   em:version="0.1.4"
                   em:creator="BubbaQ"
                   em:description="Firefox Extension for Monitoring unRAID (FEMUR)"
                   em:updateURL="https://www3.oklahoma-isp.net/citegenie/femurupdate_rdf.php?id=%ITEM_ID%&version=%ITEM_VERSION%"
                   em:iconURL="chrome://femur/content/unraid.gif"
                   em:optionsURL="chrome://femur/content/options.xul"
                   em:aboutURL="chrome://femur/content/about.xul">
    <em:targetApplication RDF:resource="rdf:#$OEfo12"/>
    <em:file RDF:resource="urn:mozilla:extension:file:"/>
  </RDF:Description>
  <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mozilla:extension:file:"
                   em:package="content/" />
  <RDF:Description RDF:about="rdf:#$OEfo12"
                   em:id="{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}"
                   em:minVersion="1.5"
                   em:maxVersion="3.*.*" />