WTB: Lian Li PC-P80 Case

One of my all-time favorite cases !!    The cooling for the hard drives with those 140mm front fans is amazing !!    I built one for a friend, but didn't build myself one and have been kicking myself for a couple years that I didn't at least stock one of the cases !!

In any event, I can't find one on e-bay or Craig's list;  and nobody seems to have any NOS items laying around, so all I can suggest is that you check e-bay with some regularity (once/week or so).

... by the way, if you can't find one, have a look at the D-8000.  A totally different look; but room for 20+ drives and 6 140mm fans to cool them !!

Unfortunately, the drives mount in the front of the case, so you can't use hot-swap cages AND still have the superb cooling; like you could with the P80.

I have indeed been keeping an eye on ebay and scouring online retailers for this.  Those fans in the front make a HUGE difference in drive temps.  I don't get anything over 37 with the door closed and it takes a while to get to that.  Normally they float 31 - 33 while in use.  Without the front fans I see 40s.  I have scoped out the D8000 but I'll give it another look.  Thanks for looking garycase!

I have indeed been keeping an eye on ebay and scouring online retailers for this.  Those fans in the front make a HUGE difference in drive temps.  I don't get anything over 37 with the door closed and it takes a while to get to that.  Normally they float 31 - 33 while in use.  Without the front fans I see 40s.  I have scoped out the D8000 but I'll give it another look.  Thanks for looking garycase!

I've had a chance for a "hands on" with the D8000 and it's a very nice case ... but given a choice I'd still prefer a P80.    I've actually considered having a metalworking shop build me a custom "fan door" for another couple of cases ... but the quotes I got were REALLY high -- one-off metalworking isn't cheap -- so I haven't done so.    Actually, what I've been using lately is the CoolerMaster 4-in-3 cages (not hot swap) with 120mm fans in front; and they do a SUPERB job of cooling the drives ... I've never seen temps exceed the mid-30's, even during parity checks.

How deep are your pockets?

FrozenCPU.com have it but it's $400

Then you have to add your stackers. With 4 of them, you've already topped $800 on component containers basically...

That said, I am considering it cause it sure is pretty.

Have you considered the Lian Li 343B? It is only $300 and has a whopping 18 5.25 bays. For unRAID purposes, I would probably look at it before the D8000

Deryg, thanks!  For some reason frozencpu didn't come up on google when I was looking.  I like the look of that 343B but I have one server in a pc-p80 and would love to make the second one match.  Not to mention the case is awesome!  For a 20-drive setup (4 5-in-3s) with those fans blowing into the drives everything stays cool and quiet - and I do mean quiet.  The only way I know it's on is if the front led fans are glowing.  There is obviously plenty of room inside.  Can't recommend it enough!  The only difference to the one I have now is the top section goes all the way back on the 80n with two cooling fans on top while p80 doesn't and only has one fan on top.  One difference I won't complain about.

Can't recommend it enough! 

I've already noted earlier how great I think the P80 is, but I'll agree one more time for emphasis !!  I've built about a dozen UnRAID systems for folks over the past few years, and the P80 was far-and-away the nicest case I've ever used.  My only regret is that I didn't pick one up for myself !!    Never dreamed Lian-Li would stop making that beauty !!!  :)

Can't recommend it enough! 

I've already noted earlier how great I think the P80 is, but I'll agree one more time for emphasis !!  I've built about a dozen UnRAID systems for folks over the past few years, and the P80 was far-and-away the nicest case I've ever used.  My only regret is that I didn't pick one up for myself !!    Never dreamed Lian-Li would stop making that beauty !!!  :)

You guys are hard on my budget... I am now actively considering ordering one as my current case is out of room  :(. I just need to convince myself that it's worth twice what the Antec 1200 is (the front fans go a long way towards selling that concept.

For those of you who have done a build with the P80, I assume you remove the fans from your 5-in-3s??

How deep are your pockets?

FrozenCPU.com have it but it's $400

OK, so you get to benefit from the fact that we seem to share the same aesthetic taste and are doing a build at the same time. xoxide.com has the case cheaper than Frozen CPU. Not much but it is $369 as opposed to $399. I guess it comes down to how much each vendor charges for shipping.

Those are the only 2 vendors that I have found that seem to have any stock.

Cheers,

Guillaume

I did note the case at xoxide but I also noted their reviews for not always having in stock what they claim to have in stock and some horrible customer service when such situations arrive.  I won't buy from them.  Frozencpu works for me, I can live with the extra $30.  In fact I ordered it last night.  As for the fans on the 5-in-3s I didn't remove mine.  They are on high and I can't hear them.  Like I said, if the front fans didn't have blue LEDs I wouldn't know when it was on.  If you stuff this off to the side somewhere you should have no issues.  Plan ahead for placement, this is a big case, and with 20 hard drives, it's more than a touch heavy!

FrozenCPU is out-of-stock ... just tried to order one !!  Guess Yankton got their last one !!

They do have a "notify me" button, so I'll get an e-mail when they get more.

Don't have any near-term plans for a build with it;  but definitely plan to use that case for my next upgrade, so I figure it won't hurt to have the case in my attic to use when I'm ready for it  :)

FrozenCPU is out-of-stock ... just tried to order one !!  Guess Yankton got their last one !!

Since it's manufacturer discontinued, don't hold your breath on that notification. Guess I should thank Yankton for removing temptation from my way. Now I get to decide if I want to build Lian Li PC-A77, Antec 1200 or Lian Li pc-343B. Really, it's between the Antec 1200 and the 343B.

Thoughts?

I like the additional hard drive cooling some cases have.  The D-8000 that garycase mentioned earlier is good for that.  20 hard drives without additional enclosures with vents and room for fans blowing across them is not a bad setup.  The a77f looks sweet but those are 120mm fans in the front, not 140mm, so drive coverage is not as complete plus it doesn't have fans going all the way up.  1200 is quite similar.  Though if you can mod the front panel for 140s, it would be a great choice.  343B is good if you must have access to your drives without opening the case.  I live in a very hot climate and my house only has an evap cooler so it gets a touch warm inside in the summer.  If you don't have that issue you may not need the extra cooling.  I'd scope out modding the 1200 and if you can go that route.  nice clean look.  If you want the extra cooling scope out the D8000.  I'd like to get my hands on one to play with but it looks very nice.

Since it's manufacturer discontinued, don't hold your breath on that notification. Guess I should thank Yankton for removing temptation from my way. Now I get to decide if I want to build Lian Li PC-A77, Antec 1200 or Lian Li pc-343B. Really, it's between the Antec 1200 and the 343B.

Thoughts?

Yes, I know it's a long shot ... but you never know what might be in a NOS pipeline somewhere  :)

As for a choice between the 3 cases you mentioned -- the Antec will work, but the 343B is S..O..O..O much nicer  8)    For really superb cooling, given the choice of those two case, I'd use the 343B and would NOT install hot-swap cages ==> instead I'd install the CoolerMaster 4-in-3 racks with the 120mm front fans.    These are very easy to insert/remove drives from; and provide superb cooling.    I built a 16-drive system for a friend with these, and his drives (WD Reds) NEVER exceed 35 ... even during parity checks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002