Accessing unraid with a iPad

The best option is to install either AirVideo Server or Plex Media Server on your unraid server and the corresponding app on your iPad/iPhone. The server apps are free and there are plugins available for them that you can use if you're running version 5 but the iPad apps cost money. AirVideo I believe is $2.99 and Plex is $4.99. These are nice because they will also allow you to play stuff on your iPad when you're out of the house.

Chances are your hardware will be good enough to do the transcoding that those server apps do unless its really old.

There are a variety of media players that have SMB support built in so can play files off a network share.  The one I tend to favour is OPlayer.  One thing to be aware of is that at the moment many of the media player apps do to support AC3 sound due to licensing issues.

There are a variety of media players that have SMB support built in so can play files off a network share.  The one I tend to favour is OPlayer.  One thing to be aware of is that at the moment many of the media player apps do to support AC3 sound due to licensing issues.

One of the reasons I mentioned the other apps. They support AC3 playback. That and the ability to play stuff inside and outside the home within one app is nice.

Plex plugin info here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14803.0

AirVideo Plugin here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20049.0

I'd suggest doing a little homework and see which you prefer. Or you can buy both if you want. Both apps would only total $8 bucks.

One of the reasons I mentioned the other apps. They support AC3 playback. That and the ability to play stuff inside and outside the home within one app is nice.

The lack of AC3 support should be temporary - earlier versions of most of the media Player apps DID have AC3 support (I currently use an earlier release of OPlayer for just this reason).  Some of them already claimed to have resolved the licensing issues and I expect the rest will follow.  One thing I like about OPlayer is that it allows you to work in streaming mode or download and play in offline mode without the need to go anywhere near iTunes.

I also have Air Video and can confirm that it works well for its intended purpose.  I do not like Plex, so do not have that as one I can comment on.

One app to keep an eye on is the new InFuse media player from FireCore as FireCore have a record of producing Media Player apps.  At the moment InFuse does not have SMB support but I expect that will appear soon as such support has been promised.  InFuse is the best of the media player apps I have come across for playing 1080p video.  I use the FireCore Media Player on my ATV2 - and there it works well.  FireCore are meant to be commoning up the code base for the ATV and InFuse versions of their players so I expect them to end up with similar capabilities