Getting started Time Machine backup on Mouintain Lion to unRaid 5.0rc12a

I'm a Mac Newbie. I want to backup my Mac with time machine to my unRAID server. I have unRAID 5.0rc12a. I am hoping some dear unRaid user will point me in the right direction.

When I search apple help info, all I find is that network backup has been removed from Mountain Lion. Then I find this Foliovision guide http://foliovision.com/2010/05/network-backup-apple-timemachine, where they give me some hacks to perform on the Mac.

On the other hand peter_sm seems to have some issues with unRAID 5.0rc12a, but still clearly Peter and others here have succesfully gotten a time capsule working.

Any help will be appreciated, Cheers, Alex

In theory, you can do this with unraid by emulating a time capsule with AFP/netatalk. There is no need for the network hack you linked to in that case. Actually not just in theory, but you can in practice too, although some users have had problems while it works great for others. Search the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for the help.

I feel it will be useful for other newbies, if I here give a summary of the steps I had to go through to get time machine using my unRAID as timecapsule. I found all the information in the old thread mentioned by dgaschk (and thank you dgaschk for all the good posts in that thread).

1. Turn on AFP on the unRAID server (as I said, I'm a newbie :). Its in the Settings tab in unRAID the webgui.

2. Configure a (new) share to be exported in AFP in Share settings (the afp settings will appear after enabling AFP). see attached image.

3. In the Mac Finder your unRAID server should now have a share. I believe once the share is opened in finder the small 'eject' symbol indicates that now its mounted. (Note my SMB server is still running, it didn't seem necessary to kill it, so there's also a Tower-SMB on mine, see pic).

4. Now open time machine - still there was no share...

5. In terminal enter: 'sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1'

6. Now open time machine and hopefully find your share (maybe I rebooted in between here, but I don't think so)

It seems Time Machine now remembers the network share, even after reboot. If not, the original thread has some additional info for how to auto-mount the share, so one does have to open (and thus mount) in finder manually. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13852.msg192779#msg192779

Cheers Alex

Screen_Shot_2013-06-15_at_22_49_15.png.674f7c785d6271f2d69db885bc31d6af.png

timemachineShare.png.dcdfa8f3726bca550ec3c38bb3702e21.png