SuperMicro X10SL7-F - Onboard LSI

I would recommend contacting the manufacture with the expected fans and power draw for verification if all fan headers are planning to be utilized.

If someone plans to utilize all fan headers on a motherboard the math needs to be considered.

i.e. how much the fan draws vs surplus with other cards. It cannot be done blindly.

I've had motherboards that I fully populate where there is a warning of 7w per fan header.

I've had other supermicro machines fully loaded with boards and fans.

I do agree that supermicro boards are very picky about specific and clean power.

So if any of these fans happen to cause a power deficit, there could be some difficulty in tracking down the issue.  Frankly, I've personally never had this problem, but I've also never put a 250w video card in my machine. In comparison I have had supermicro boards with every card slot filled, every memory slot, every cpu and every fan header and not had issues.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys, all very interesting.

I can't find any power specs for the fans, but they're the 3 140mm Silent Series units included with the Fractal Design Define XL R2 case.

Most likely I'll leave the fans connected to the case fan controller, although I might consider garycases suggestion of connecting the rear fan to the motherboard.

• 1 month later...

Here's a questions for anyone that might know...

The X10SL7 has a built in LSI SAS controller, with 8 SATA ports connected to it. Is it possible to use a SAS Expander with it? Do the cables exist to go from those 8 SATA ports to whatever the SAS expander would have? If they do and it was connected up, would it work?

Not something I'm planning to do, just a thought that occurred to me when reading some other threads.

The X10SL7 has a built in LSI SAS controller, with 8 SATA ports connected to it.

Um, these are in fact SAS ports. They can (as SAS ports do) accept SATA drives as well.

Is it possible to use a SAS Expander with it? Do the cables exist to go from those 8 SATA ports to whatever the SAS expander would have? If they do and it was connected up, would it work?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work (and plan to make use of such when the ports on my X10SL7 run out).

Um, these are in fact SAS ports. They can (as SAS ports do) accept SATA drives as well.

Yeah I did realise that - when I said SATA ports I was really referring to the type of connector, rather than the type of port it was a connector to - it being a standard SATA connector rather than the SAS style of connectors (can't remember the name of them).

If it does work, and a reverse breakout cable will do the job, then it does sound like a good option for when ports run out, rather than adding another controller card.

Yeah I did realise that - when I said SATA ports I was really referring to the type of connector, rather than the type of port it was a connector to - it being a standard SATA connector rather than the SAS style of connectors (can't remember the name of them).

If it does work, and a reverse breakout cable will do the job, then it does sound like a good option for when ports run out, rather than adding another controller card.

So if you pick e.g. something like this, each of the 24 ports can be configured to connect to either initiators or targets. Therefore, again I can't see a reason why this won't work.

Of course this is not yet proof for it to actually work  ;D

Is this the recommended board for v6?

Not sure, but it seems to be what LimeTech is using for their builds.  That is a fairly significant endorsement in my book (i am looking for a new MB as well - my current supermicro is a bit long in the tooth).

From their order page:  http://lime-technology.com/avs-104-server/

Supermicro X10SL7-F (or equivalent)

Intel Xeon E3-1230V2 3.3GHz 69Watt Quad-Core Processor

16GB DDR3/1600 ECC DRAM standard

Additional 16GB DDR3/1600 ECC DRAM [+ $200]

What about this for a v6 setup:

CASE: Silverstone DS380

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V2

M/B: Supermicro X10SL7-F

RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3

PSU: Silverstone Strider ST45SF-G 450W

Any good?  What would you expect the power usage to be on this?  Without hard drives of course.  Is it the board or a different controller that has problems with WD 4TB Red drives?

Any good?  What would you expect the power usage to be on this?  Without hard drives of course.  Is it the board or a different controller that has problems with WD 4TB Red drives?

Here is what Kingston recommends for that board for memory currently http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=SMI&Line=X10SL7-F&Model=84337&Description=Kingston_ValueRam_Memory_Server_Premier_Memory_for_Supermicro_X10SL7-F_Motherboard didn't see yours on the list.

DS380 is mini-ITX and will not accept the uATX X10SL7.

This combination will not work (and if it appeared on the Limetech web page it had to be an error - can't find it there now).

X10SL7 is based on Haswell, not Ivy Bridge. 1150 socket. The applicable processor is (e.g.) E3-1230v3 and not v2.

It doesn't seem to be a simple typo, too (typing 2 instead of 3) - the Limetech page specifically says Ivy Bridge and quotes other specs that are specific to E3-1230v2's.

So it can't be X10SL7.

This combination will not work (and if it appeared on the Limetech web page it had to be an error - can't find it there now).

X10SL7 is based on Haswell, not Ivy Bridge. 1150 socket. The applicable processor is (e.g.) E3-1230v3 and not v2.

It doesn't seem to be a simple typo, too (typing 2 instead of 3) - the Limetech page specifically says Ivy Bridge and quotes other specs that are specific to E3-1230v2's.

So it can't be X10SL7.

6ACEXUI.png

Guess they made a mistake on processor name (although it does say or "equivalent" for motherboard).  Above is a screenshot from from this morning.  It could confuse those who look to duplicate the limetech builds - like me.  I hope they fix it soon.

That being said, it comes from the horses mouth about what motherboard they are using in their servers:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33137.msg304902#msg304902

Hi Tom, LSI is still broken under Xen, none of the disks are recognized even though it looks like the LSI modules have loaded. If I boot into Unraid without Xen, then everything works as expected.

We are using Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F motherboards in next batch of AVS-10/4 servers which includes an on-board LSI 2308 that works great with or without Xen.  Probably the issue you are seeing will be solved with a kernel update (because a kernel update implies driver updates).  I was hoping -beta5 would include this but all the bad PR over 'heartbleed' has made it necessary for us to push that fix out now.

• 2 months later...

if i want to connect lsi raid controller to a sas2 disk, how can i do ?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V72AQ4/ref=asc_df_B000V72AQ43245077?smid=A1WBR3GSJXTJKA&tag=pgmp-473-100-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B000V72AQ4

Note that this only works if the controller you've connected it to supports SAS drives.    The LSI ports on your motherboard DO have this support ... the other motherboard ports do not.

thanks for the link.

When i boot to Built-in shel UEFI it hang (for updating lsi firmware to IT)

X10SL07-F: Bios 2.0 IPMI 1.42 LSI v15.0.0.0 2x 8go samsung listed supermicro

i launch EFI built-in shell in bios , save & exit and i select the line to boot UEFI built shell.

i have this in my java iKVM Viewer (KVM console)

EDI shell version 2.31 [4.655]

current running mode 1.1.2

_

The cursor stay, nothing appear, and after 3 minutes it reboot.

Any idea ?

may be that I forgot to activate an option in the bios ?

Configuration from disk is AHCI.

Thanks for your help.

i found my problem is because i had a usb key connected on usb2, when i unplugged the usb key , the shell work but cannot access to usb key

if i type fs0: for example

with another usb key it work:  corsair voyager 4go it work.

this usb key don't work : corsair flash voyaget GT 8go don't work.

• 1 month later...

I am looking closely at the X10SL7-F for my next unRAID build. I have some IPMI questions that I am hoping for some help with:

None of the manuals on the supermicro website at the link below seem to cover the X10, which has the ASPEED AST 2400 controller? Also the FTP server pointed to on that page does not seem to have any info for the X10 either?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/IPMI.cfm

I wondering how much of the IPMI funcitonality will be available when running unRAID?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if the onboard lsi works well with seagate NAS drives?

I don't use them (I use WD SE drives), but I see no reason why it won't, and I'd be shocked if there would be an issue specific to those drives.

And is there any consensus on whether we need to actually flash from IR to IT ?

I don't know about consensus but I did not change from the default IR and it works well.

That being said, if you plan to boot off a drive that's on the LSI controller (and not, e.g., from a USB drive as in barebones unRAID) you DO want to install the version 19 of the LSI firmware (off the Supermicro web site). It is a result of a ticket I opened (and fought for for several months), which has to do with boot order issues.

I don't use them (I use WD SE drives), but I see no reason why it won't, and I'd be shocked if there would be an issue specific to those drives.

Great stuff, daron. Thanks for your reply. I did email SM about drive compatibility, they just told me to do a search on their website (thanks). the seagate 3tb nas wasn't on the list but i'll give it a shot anyway.

I don't know about consensus but I did not change from the default IR and it works well.

That being said, if you plan to boot off a drive that's on the LSI controller (and not, e.g., from a USB drive as in barebones unRAID) you DO want to install the version 19 of the LSI firmware (off the Supermicro web site). It is a result of a ticket I opened (and fought for for several months), which has to do with boot order issues.

Great stuff, daron. Thanks for your reply. I did email SM about drive compatibility, they just told me to do a search on their website (thanks). the seagate 3tb nas wasn't on the list but i'll give it a shot anyway.