When AFP is disabled Server Not Advertised on MAC

Tom, maybe SMB should always be referred as "Hostname", and AFP with "Hostname-AFP". This way, in OSX, the mDNS name will overwrite the Netbios name, and in Windows it will remain the same.

This idea works pretty well I think.  I would add two other changes:

1) Change the SMB service icon to "Windows" - this way the little icon next to the server name in finder will look like other windows computers and indicate access is via SMB.

2) On the AFP page in the webGui, add a text field called "Service suffix".  Whatever is specified here will be appended to the name.  Implications are as follows:

- if you leave the field blank, then the service name will be the same as your server name.  The effect in Finder is that the icon changes from "windows" to "xserve", and access to the shares is via AFP.  You also lose SMB connectivity to the server (and you only see one entry for the server).

- if you set the field to some string, for example "-AFP", then you will see two entries in the Finder sidebar.  One entry will be your server name, with access via SMB; the other entry will be your server name with the string appended to it.  You don't have to enter "-AFP", you can enter anything such as " (afp)".

What does everyone think about this?

2) I think it's unnecessary, since most of us uses AFP only to store TM backups. The prefix choice, IMHO, is just a complicator. It's desirable to have access to SMB and AFP all of time.

There's this old thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13269.0

Here there is a desire to not advertise the SMB access to OSX clients, but presumably you still want SMB enabled because you also have windows clients.  I found this can be accomplished if the AFP service name was set to the server host name.  In this case Finder only shows a single entry for the server, and access is via AFP (apparently if same service name is detected for both SMB and AFP, then OSX chooses to display the AFP service).  Definitely simpler doing it your way though...

Apple, with OSX 10.9, changed the default network file protocol to SMB2:

https://www.apple.com/media/us/osx/2013/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Overview.pdf

Page 22

Core Technologies Overview

OS X Mavericks

SMB [...]

• Compatible. SMB2 is automatically used to share files between two Mac computers

running OS X Mavericks, or when a Windows client running Vista, Windows 7, or

Windows 8 connects to your Mac. OS X Mavericks maintains support for AFP and

SMB network file-sharing protocols, automatically selecting the appropriate protocol

as needed.

AFP

The Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) is the traditional network file service used on the

Mac. Built-in AFP support provides connectivity with older Mac computers and Time

Machine–based backup systems.

So, bottom line, SMB can and should be used as preferable network protocol, and SMB should be announced all time. This is future proof.